Turbo and exhaust manifold help and advise needed.

Supersonic

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've got a 2001 S3 AMK engine which has been using abit of coolant and the engine light keeps coming on. The faults are a lambda probe 'running lean' fault and throttle connection pressure drop. I have already done away with all the dodgy normal vac and breather pipes, there is no obvious leaks.
On further investigation I have found cracks in the exhaust manifold and turbo and white/pink staining all over them (coolant).

So what's my options on turbos and manifolds, would ideally like to go as high as possible on standard internals ?

Thanks.

Mine is using coolant too, i hope the turbo isnt cracked :(!

I know the turbo does have a coolant pipe going in at the top, maybe thats broken or loose or something and spewing water over the turbo and for the boost leak id say get it logged on vcds and then pressure tested, the guy that works on my car done a pressure test on mine and fixed leak after leak after leak because i had fuel trim fault codes

you need to fix the lambda sensor first and foremost, either by replacing, or checking/repairing wiring.

Where are the cracks on the turbo???
They have coolant feed line on the front side of the turbo, and coolant return on the backside of the turbo, may be just a case of tightening the fittings, or new crush washers.

What does your coolant in the expansion bottle look like?

As for manifolds, relentless v3 would be your best option really for performance gains, or an oem one for ease of fitment and keep costa down, depends on your plans for the car.

Thanks guys, I think my lambda probe is alright it's just picking excess air up in the exhaust due to the cracks in the manifold and presumes the engine is running lean.
Will try and get a better look at the turbo tomorrow after work. I hope your right Karl and it just needs the crush washers.
Wheres the best place to get the V3 manifold from and does the KO4 fit straight onto it ?

if you know the manifold is cracked, and you want to be brave and fit a v3 mani then they are available on ebay or through relentless on facebook.

Ive never personally fit one, but lately there have been hit and miss fitment issues to the head, nothing that cant be rectified, but i believe the turbo fitment is fine.

P.s. you're right a substantial exhaust leak will affect lambda readings.

I have taken afew pics of my turbo and manifold but cannot figure out how to post them.
Im crap with computers .

20130612 17324820130612 17340920130612 17342520130612 173319

So guys does this look knackered to you ?

Whats my options on a new turbo ? KO4 hybrid or something else ???

A hybrid will need rods.

Stock turbo, stock manifold (ported), Badger 5 intake and a proper map.