Turbo advice

E_KEL95

Reaction score
Right so long story short the turbo went bang today and need a new one. Had been toying with the idea of possibly putting in a larger turbo if it ever needed a new one.

I read on here that a 170 one bolts straight on but will require the map to be adjusted to suit.

Have also seen ones say that a new clutch will be needed bit others have said it's hit or miss as some clutches take the extra power others don't.

Just wondering if it worth the extra possible hassle or would it be best to just go for another 140 turbo?

In the same boat!

Clutch depends on the aggressiveness of the map/torque delivery.

I have been told that it can be a little laggy. So may mean some intercooler/piping upgrades to see the most Benefit from it.

Are you mapped already? I'm still standard while I decide what to do!

Which engine code are you on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is worth the extra hassle if you want a faster car, better off talking to someone that's looked into like @tony_mc as I think he's looked into it.

If all that's knackered on it is the shaft and journal and you don't want to go that route yet, just get a new cartridge and build it back up yourself which will give you a good chance to decoke the VNT Ring.

Cost me £210 all in including the VNT set up, give or take a few pennies for a new cartridge and get the VNT checked and adjusted, they only charged me £60 as it didn't really need that much adjustment but they did test the actuator and made sure all was well.....but they are only a few miles from where I live.

They maybe a fair few miles from you but I would say they have to be one of the best for products, price and customer service.

Give them a call or try their site https://www.turborebuild.co.uk/ you won't be disappointed.

There's brand new turbo on eBay 190 quid

Yeah am already remapped, I'm over in N.I @carlcall managed to get in contact with a company will do a fully reconditioned one with a years warranty for 270.

It's just a few weeks ago I thought to myself if the turbo ever did let go would I just replace like for like or use it as an opportunity to go for Abit more power

Reactions: carlcall
Will be interesting to know how you get on with it! When I spoke to dark side, they seemed pretty keen on it, but once your on a custom remap, you may as well get the gtb turbo, but where to you stop!!!!!

Give them a bell pal as they may surprise you. Just mention that someone local to them mentioned them to you on ASN and be cheeky like me ask for any discount codes.

I don't think they are that much for a reconditioned unit and they offer a two year warranty on theirs. End of the day the choice is yours....but I know if I had another turbo to get done or a close friend I would recommend them.

i've just had to upgrade my clutch to take my map 187bhp/319ftlb, clutch and dfw cost (£575ish plus fitting) it's a strong map but it's nice and progressive through the rev range, the turbo on a 140 is always going to spool up better/faster than the standard 170's because its smaller, more nimble when mapped to the same power as the 170's, you can go to about 200/220 bhp on the 140 injectors and 170 turbo, any more than you'll need injectors and bigger turbo's intercoolers ect ect

i've just had to upgrade my clutch to take my map 187bhp/319ftlb, clutch and dfw cost (£575ish plus fitting) it's a strong map but it's nice and progressive through the rev range, the turbo on a 140 is always going to spool up better/faster than the standard 170's because its smaller, more nimble when mapped to the same power as the 170's, you can go to about 200/220 bhp on the 140 injectors and 170 turbo, any more than you'll need injectors and bigger turbo's intercoolers ect ect

Would you recommend going for the 170 turbo @tony mc ? I'll ring my remappers tomorrow and talk to them about adjusting the map if I go down that route.

So the 170 definitely bolts straight on aswell? And would it work if I just put one on and then left the mapping for a month or 2 to allow the funds to gather up again or would it need mapped immediately?

Last edited:
I wouldn't put the turbo on till i was going for the mapping, it also depends what you like it will be faster no doubt with a 170 turbo but dont forget extra fuel costs that come with it, and you will need a clutch, mine is real snappy at the moment with the standard 140 turbo, no lag at all and safe, thats whats stopped me going nuts on it for a while, i'm liking it the way it is, but i can't sit to long on things so watch this space i might change my mind next week lol

Last edited:
Have you not changed turbos, just mapped your 140?

Think I might just go for the standard replacement turbo as I'm not fancying the potential extra cost that will come with it as money's tight atm.

Plus with it being a freshly reconditioned unit it'll probably feel a lot better to drive than it did with the old turbo.

I'll look into this for future reference, as I plan on keeping the car for another while longer

My 170 drives totally different to how it did....even when I first got it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you not changed turbos, just mapped your 140?

Think I might just go for the standard replacement turbo as I'm not fancying the potential extra cost that will come with it as money's tight atm.

Plus with it being a freshly reconditioned unit it'll probably feel a lot better to drive than it did with the old turbo.

I'll look into this for future reference, as I plan on keeping the car for another while longer

yes mate, i'm still on a standard 140 turbo, its been fully stripped and rebuilt with new parts last year and mapped also has a stage 3 clutch

What's the easiest way to turn the car over to allow oil to pump into the new turbo with out actually starting ? Heard one saying unplug the crank sensor and another unplug the injector rail.