Turbo’s

Tj 0785

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
As like most things I’m clueless with turbos
I’m wanting to get a new turbo in the next week or so but I’m just not sure what to go for , id like the g30 770 but not really any 2nd hand and if I can help it I’d like to try n get one cheaper (around £1k) If I’m right(doubtful) any of the following should get me my 600bhp target,
Precision 6262
Precision 6766
Garrett gt35
Borg warner sx300sx-3
Anyone any experience with the Borg Warner or precision turbos?

Another potential - Holset HX40 that’s good for 600bhp on a 3.2 v6.

Best thing to do is get the compression maps and work out what will work our best from your build mate. Volume efficiency, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just looked at Holset never thought of them
As I always think they are for diesel trucks, they are cheap the hx55 is €800 With the hx40 even cheaper I will look into them see how people rate them

Looking at Garretts boost advisor....

either a G30-770 or GTX3582R Gen 2 would see around 600bhp @ 20psi and 520 ft-lbs.

Both sit perfectly in there efficiencies!

G30-770
fc84974f5c55b87f7fd1ef1ee30e3049.jpg

GTX3582R Gen 2
003933eda8fa427e6531b06ba1b7ffe0.jpg

Admittedly these are the more expensive turbos....

Food for thought

Reactions: Tj 0785
They don’t seem to do them Maps for the precision turbos, definitely good for thought, I want to get a different exhaust manifold as the cast one I have is only 38mm wastegate and I’d rather have a bigger one with the sought of power I’m hoping for, which is £600 for the Cts cast one with 44mm wastegate which I could do without spending but need to decide before I get a downpipe made up

Yeah 44mm seems to be the way to go these days, I’ve only recently learnt that.

Back to turbos, the only thing with the Holset is it’s journal bearing where as the garretts are dual ball bearing. So I’m guessing that’s one factor to consider, which is probably one of the reasons for the Holset being cheaper.

BorgWarner airwerks are journal bearing as well I think.

I’ve heard good things about precision turbos in that they make power better and are closer to what they suggest the power that they say the turbo can achieve, but don’t spool up as fast. On a 3.2 though.... different story I’d imagine.

I’m have a brand new 50mm turbosmart wastegate that I won on eBay for around £100 so would rather make use of that then buy a new 38mm one when the bigger manifold is probably 100-200 more than a new wastegate And probably flow better

Yeah tbh I’m leaning towards the precision but not sure which I’ve seen videos on r32 with the 6766 was making over 700bhp, but I’d doubt I’d be disappointed with the 6262 either il try n find a few more videos and see

Given my GT3582r gave me 620hp on a stroker albeit at 30psi and 7.8k rpm I am pretty confident it could do the same at arguably less boost on a 3.2VR

However just remember that the turbo is only one piece of the package... on the std 1.8t cams I couldn't get above 470/480bhp.... dropped in Badger5 cams and without any map change at all I gained 100 odd bhp....

I personally have no idea how well the VR cams work and in all my years of faffing with 20v's I tend to take a lot of BHP figures with a pinch of salt especially as I have seen so much variance using the same turbo across different builds

I think the decision to change from the cast mani for you is not a bad idea... going tubular top mount will always be better especially at the top end where power drops off on the cast manis due to lack of flow...

As for what to use then as Ash says look at compressor maps to get an idea of what they will flow but just be aware of diminishing returns... the bigger the turbo you go for that larger top end figure the more you will lose down low even on a 3.2....

It will make the difference between a drivable car and one that you have to keep up in the higher rev range to make use of...

Depends ultimately what you plane to do with the car... having had 600+hp and what some people term as a laggy response in reality isn't laggy if you drive it right... but I did have to drive it to realise that performance...

One thing I have notice in driving the 3.2 about now even in its lower performance than std form is how the car feels to drive.... the lower down response feels better than the 20v ever did but obvs it just feels flat pretty quickly... having driven other standard 3.2's mine feels similar to those low done but obviously flat top end... thats where the turbo will bridge the gap

Anyhoo... point being... try not to go ott on turbo spec just to chase a figure.. going tubular mani is a good idea though and something I would have done if I could justify the cost... but in my case I just want to see what it will do on std rods with my old GT35 and 1bar of boost...

I have my big end bearings now and my turbo is off to be inspected and have the hotside separated so I can clock it for the cast mani...

Maybe then I'll find the motivation to crack on with it and have a baseline for a 35 on a VR

<tuffty/>

Thats the one Eddie used.... actually don't know what his current power levels are and he uses a precision turbo of some description....

Again he wasn't chasing figures IIRC but never seen a dyno plot of his either so can't comment...

Vince at Stealth Racing does a lot of VR turbo conversions so he may have some insight

<tuffty/>

Thats the one Eddie used.... actually don't know what his current power levels are and he uses a precision turbo of some description....

Again he wasn't chasing figures IIRC but never seen a dyno plot of his either so can't comment...

Vince at Stealth Racing does a lot of VR turbo conversions so he may have some insight

<tuffty/>
I think it will flow better than the current one and what it makes it Makes it says for 600bhp, I can always look at changes down the road if I’m not happy but just want it running and being reliable I just get carried away and my wallet can’t keep up ha,

On another note I might be buying the hpa touch motion for £500 but don’t know if there’s a point if I have the blue controller have seen people running both together don’t know if it makes a difference

touch motion will 'enhance' the blue controller arguably... give you a degree more control over it all... tbh... I leave mine on sport... although its started to bind a little now... needs an oil change and I could do with sorting my replacement diff and controller out really

<tuffty/>

If I were in your shoes TJ I’d be looking at a top mount v band manifold. If you don’t like how a turbo performs it would be far easier to swap out for another one. V-band is the future

I’ll have a dig around see if I can find any compression maps on the precision 6262, etc.

I’ve also considered hpa touch motion..... but I’m hold out to see what Brian (ignitron) brings out in his new update. I know he’s working on DSG, haldex, etc at the moment.

Well...... no dice on the compression maps for the Precision turbos, a trade secret by the looks of it. The 6262 is similar to a GT35R but with all I’ve seen it’s hard to compare because of so many variables, mainly engines, etc.

Like PT mentioned, probably best giving a shout to the guys who know the VR6 game well and see what they’ve run are running.

It’s strange you think they would put it out there so people can see I have sent them and Rushworth an email still waiting on the 1000 cc injectors to come back I. Stock, have seen two running the 6766 with the Cts cast manifold Running 600,707 they did mention that the temps were high so looks like it’s got to be a tubular one

Reactions: S3AMJ
Tubular is the answer mate. Your not short of space between the engine and the bulkhead either. Nice bit of ceramic coating, don’t bother wrapping it. Hateful stuff, I never want to see it again after d1cking about with it on mine haha

That’s another thing I’ll have to get it sorted, got sent these of a guy who makes them in Bulgaria he says it will Fit rhd and downpipe will clear master cylinder but seems tight but it’s 700 instead of 1400 elsewhere

Attachments

• D6CEAEF5-0645-4A3A-96BF-63EECC067007.png
    D6CEAEF5-0645-4A3A-96BF-63EECC067007.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 220
  • E6BEE579-8610-4F02-850F-9CB34381F3A3.png
    E6BEE579-8610-4F02-850F-9CB34381F3A3.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 205
Surely it would be cheaper to find someone decent at doing custom exhausts and make it fit your turbo your thinking of buying ?

They are custom, i phoned A few local places and the ones that would were over 1k , all the above manifold they will Make to what fitment you want t4/vband 1/2 waste gates 38mm/44 size wastegate they are all made to order
Surely it would be cheaper to find someone decent at doing custom exhausts and make it fit your turbo your thinking of buying ?

CDC14727 F497 4F1C A594 A058E5D596D0
Another, some piece off work this, which bring to the next question if I’m going to fork out for tubular should I got twin scroll at the same price ?

Reactions: hydro s3
Surely it’s gotta be safer to spend that little bit extra on someone with a good reputation rather than a bloke from Bulgaria year down the line and it starts blowing *untsville that would be to get re welded and refitted specially the power you’re looking at...

Surely it’s gotta be safer to spend that little bit extra on someone with a good reputation rather than a bloke from Bulgaria year down the line and it starts blowing *untsville that would be to get re welded and refitted specially the power you’re looking at...

Yeah I’m not going with the company in Bulgaria, the others above are based in gtuned based in London and the other manchester there’s also another p-motorsports but again that’s £1400 which they all seem to be around that price,

There are benefits to running a twin scroll setup. If you get a twin scroll tubular manifold like the GTuned one.... you are limiting yourself to twin scroll turbos.

Running a single scroll turbo on a twin scroll manifold and visa versa results in nothing.

Running a twin scroll turbo and manifold means you should get more response, bhp and low down torque from the same boost as a single scroll.

Try styledynamics they seem to do a lot of vag cars and custom exhausts ect

I think I will go the twin scroll one, they charge an extra 400 for ceramic coating, have emailed a few companies to see how much they would charge

Upload 2020 8 16 19 17 54

What would cause the bits of damage on the blades this is being sold as perfect working order but looks like chips missing of the blades but not at the very edge where it meets the housing ?

stuff being sucked in and hitting the veins. my turbo on the old skoda did exactly the same but totally shattered all of them. not a pro on turbos mate, but that looks *****. i would be doing a new CHRA at the very least.

That’s what I thought, i think il just go new instead I’ve already been stung once on a turbo

There's a thread on the VWVortex forum where if you ask nicely and give the info on your setup, goals and potential turbo options the chap will give a breakdown of how each turbo would expect to perform and the best option for your goals.

Guess you're looking at genuine GEN2 Garrett stuff and not the clones like Mamba, Kinugawa, Arashi, Turbosystems etc?

There's a thread on the VWVortex forum where if you ask nicely and give the info on your setup, goals and potential turbo options the chap will give a breakdown of how each turbo would expect to perform and the best option for your goals.

Guess you're looking at genuine GEN2 Garrett stuff and not the clones like Mamba, Kinugawa, Arashi, Turbosystems etc?
Is that in the 8l section ?i will have a look , yeah I’m looking at genuine Garret G30 or precision depending on if I go twin scroll or not but I’m leaning towards the precision 6766 twin scroll