Tuning company robbing me?

linford-quattro

Reaction score
Ok so my cr 140 I had mapped ( a stage 2 tune and dpf deleted) about a year ago. (Used the place I've used many times before) even had different cars with this engine mapped here.

At first I wasnt happy with the levels of soot it was producing. Took it back he made some changes to the values and it wasnt as bad but still kicks more than any other I've had tuned in this engine.

Since the day I got the car I wasnt too happy with its mpg.

Today at work I decided to search online to see if I'd had the 'emissions fix' / scandal applied. According to a site I used after entering my reg it says I HAVE had it done.

So after internet searching , turns out the map doesnt remove the 'fix' so I contacted my tuner stated I want it rolling back. But obviously he wants to charge to put new/original software before the fix then tune again. Ok fair enough..

So my question is, does the map really not overwrite the fix. If not, is it really worth having the before fix software applied??

By your explanation, I'd say you're not being robbed at all.

Assuming the tuner is not charging you for the full cost of a remap, then it's more than fair that you pay for their time (they are a business afterall). AFAIK, some of the emissions fixes involved more than just software - I have no personal experience but I've read about fitting different injectors on some cars. Did you buy the car like that or did you give it to VW to carry out the update?

yes im being charged to write another file. What im trying to get at is when he originally mapped it does it not overwrite the 'fix' and is it really going to be worth uploading the pre fix and having to map again or shall I just leave it..

and im guessing the previous owner had the fix carried out

He’ll likely put a base map on and then retune it - sounds legit.

Did you take your car to Audi for the emission update? I suspect it was mapped after the update?

If so, then the custom map would overwrite the VAG update.

He’ll likely put a base map on and then retune it - sounds legit.

Did you take your car to Audi for the emission update? I suspect it was mapped after the update?

If so, then the custom map would overwrite the VAG update.

right, I think maybe I confused people......
I had it mapped over a year ago....
decided to check online yesterday to see if my car had the 'fix' on some site, apparently it has, obviously a previous owner.
contacted my tuner, he said needs to apply the pre fix software, then map again, so paying for another remap
I don't no if the map I had overwritten the fix
he claims not, so I leave it or proceed

His map is a software update - when he applies this update, he’s essentially overwriting the existing software (which in this case is likely to be the VAG fix software).

so he is having my pants down then. When he mapped it then it removed the fix.... as I think hes trying to say the fix is still applied with the map

It sounds like his map was written from an older file (Pre-emissions fix).
If that is the case, Audi may have applied the software update to fix the emissions problem, but his generic remap file put a non-fix file back on the car, albeit with a map on top.
Obviously this is my interpretation of the above info and could be wrong. IMO, if you are now in a position where you could be paying again, then maybe look for a tuner who has the latest firmware for your car and write a custom map to suit?

When my customers want a stock map put on their car due to selling or the car going into a stealers it is done free of charge or beer tokens.

Ok so my cr 140 I had mapped ( a stage 2 tune and dpf deleted) about a year ago. (Used the place I've used many times before) even had different cars with this engine mapped here.

At first I wasnt happy with the levels of soot it was producing. Took it back he made some changes to the values and it wasnt as bad but still kicks more than any other I've had tuned in this engine.

Since the day I got the car I wasnt too happy with its mpg.

Today at work I decided to search online to see if I'd had the 'emissions fix' / scandal applied. According to a site I used after entering my reg it says I HAVE had it done.

So after internet searching , turns out the map doesnt remove the 'fix' so I contacted my tuner stated I want it rolling back. But obviously he wants to charge to put new/original software before the fix then tune again. Ok fair enough..

So my question is, does the map really not overwrite the fix. If not, is it really worth having the before fix software applied??

From what I’ve just read elsewhere online the remap doesn’t remove the ‘fix’ like your tuner says.
It’s hard to say though whether it’s worth you doing it or not.
One of the results of having the fix is that it produces more soot, which your dpf would normally absorb but as you’ve had yours removed that might be why you’ve seen more soot. So having the fix reversed may improve your soot problem.
The other problems of the fix are egr failure and dpf problems from more regens and also lower mpg so again that may explain your mpg problem.
Not everyone has problems after the fix though.
I suppose you need to weigh up the cost of the tuner reversing the fix and remapping it again against keeping it how it is with slightly less mpg and a bit more soot.
Only you can decide if it’s worth doing or not.

Reactions: linford-quattro
From what I’ve just read elsewhere online the remap doesn’t remove the ‘fix’ like your tuner says.
It’s hard to say though whether it’s worth you doing it or not.
One of the results of having the fix is that it produces more soot, which your dpf would normally absorb but as you’ve had yours removed that might be why you’ve seen more soot. So having the fix reversed may improve your soot problem.
The other problems of the fix are egr failure and dpf problems from more regens and also lower mpg so again that may explain your mpg problem.
Not everyone has problems after the fix though.
I suppose you need to weigh up the cost of the tuner reversing the fix and remapping it again against keeping it how it is with slightly less mpg and a bit more soot.
Only you can decide if it’s worth doing or not.

Thanks very much. Just the answer I was looking for. Its booked in first thing in the morning. Hopefully the slight increase in mpg and less soot will bring back the 100% happy owner. And also for peace of mind. Thanks again.