tuning capability

Cheetaa

Reaction score
hi guys i have an '97 A3 1.8 sadly not a turbo'd one but now i turned to you because cant seem to find anything about that car is it possible to tune it to a certain degree and to what point is it tunable or should i just engine swap it if it will be cheaper ? thanks in advance

hi guys i have an '97 A3 1.8 sadly not a turbo'd one but now i turned to you because cant seem to find anything about that car is it possible to tune it to a certain degree and to what point is it tunable or should i just engine swap it if it will be cheaper ? thanks in advance
Most people on this forum but I know you don't bother get the turbo version but as a 1.8 8l naturally aspirated owner I would ask you how much you love this car to begin with mines also a 97

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cheetaa
you cant do much with Agn's but performance exhaust, ram air intake, piggyback ecu, thats what you can do without opening the engine and you should get close or slightly exceed the 110 kw that the stock agu's produce.

Option 2 is port the head, stroke the motor (using the crank from the 2.0 ALT thats in the b6 a4's since it is essentially a stroked ADR/AGN/APG , not sure about the pistons but im pretty sure the ALT has a bigger cylinder bore), but then you are talking money, the same amount of money it would cost to just swap out the motor with an Agu one or if you want to be a bit more unique the 5 cylinder 10 valve (golf 4) AGZ motor will also fit and it produces 110KW just like an Agu and it also uses the 3.82 to 3.8.5 motronic ecu's

Reactions: Cheetaa and MPH
Most people on this forum but I know you don't bother get the turbo version but as a 1.8 8l naturally aspirated owner I would ask you how much you love this car to begin with mines also a 97

well tbh i like it quite a lot it is my first car tbf my dad gave it to me since he cant extend his driver licence no more and we had it in the family for what 13 years now? the design and the simplicity of it is my weakness i've been thinking of maybe swapping it for a 1.8t engine but most of them are sold anyways idk man im willing to put some money into it

you cant do much with Agn's but performance exhaust, ram air intake, piggyback ecu, thats what you can do without opening the engine and you should get close or slightly exceed the 110 kw that the stock agu's produce.

Option 2 is port the head, stroke the motor (using the crank from the 2.0 ALT thats in the b6 a4's since it is essentially a stroked ADR/AGN/APG , not sure about the pistons but im pretty sure the ALT has a bigger cylinder bore), but then you are talking money, the same amount of money it would cost to just swap out the motor with an Agu one or if you want to be a bit more unique the 5 cylinder 10 valve (golf 4) AGZ motor will also fit and it produces 110KW just like an Agu and it also uses the 3.82 to 3.8.5 motronic ecu's

might have to consider that aswell but what do you think about 1.8t engine (if i manage to find one) would the swap be hard like (replacing some parts) or would it be easy cause i really like the potential of the stock engine i live in a small town with open roads and 170-230 hp to me is a perfect spot

might have to consider that aswell but what do you think about 1.8t engine (if i manage to find one) would the swap be hard like (replacing some parts) or would it be easy cause i really like the potential of the stock engine i live in a small town with open roads and 170-230 hp to me is a perfect spot

I would say considering the money you are going to spend doing the turbo conversion and tuning the agu to the power range that you are looking, it would be cheaper to just buy a late model AUM a3 Turbo as the me 7 ECU is easier to tune instead of converting the car to an agu and still struggle to get power out of the 3.8.2/3.8.3 ecu.

remember apart from doing the engine conversion you will also have to upgrade the brakes as base 1.8 models come with 280 mm discs and FSIII calipers and even on a stock 1.8 that only makes 125hp it stops like crap , so buying a dbw turbo model would be the cheaper common sense option imo.

Reactions: Cheetaa, MPH and Tj 0785
I would say considering the money you are going to spend doing the turbo conversion and tuning the agu to the power range that you are looking, it would be cheaper to just buy a late model AUM a3 Turbo as the me 7 ECU is easier to tune instead of converting the car to an agu and still struggle to get power out of the 3.8.2/3.8.3 ecu.

remember apart from doing the engine conversion you will also have to upgrade the brakes as base 1.8 models come with 280 mm discs and FSIII calipers and even on a stock 1.8 that only makes 125hp it stops like **** , so buying a dbw turbo model would be the cheaper common sense option imo.
I concur the money you will have to put in the changes you would have to make would be too dramatic financially and work wise so I would start with the air inlet and exhaust and go from there to see how you feel about it then I got mine through necessity from a friend and I've kept it ever since I have grown to love the car I used to have a BMW E30 before this.

Reactions: Cheetaa