Tuning Box

Tqm

Reaction score
Hi guys Im looking to get a bit more power out of my a3, its a naturally aspirated 1.6L petrol producing 102BHP, engine code AVU. Im not expecting big gains due to the lack of a turbo and it being my first car so a remap just wouldn't be feasible, I'd be expecting a 10% ish increase in performance from either a box or tune which would take me between 110-120BHP. The problem is I cant find a reputable box for my engine, only cheaper ebay ones. So my question is would there be an increased risk to my cars health using one of these boxes or not as I assume they are all essentially doing the same thing, does anyone have experience with these? Or does anyone recommend any brands which cater to my engine?

Thanks everyone!

If you're adamant for more power, then sell the car buy something else as there are no tuning options for this engine that would ever show you any noticeable change, placebo.

Air filters, anything is a waste of money I'm afraid.

Reactions: Sibmets
As above really, you will get minimal gains from a remap. The ebay tuning boxes will do nothing and are a scam imo. The best I can suggest is to get the car serviced i.e. new air filter and plugs as that can release a few hp if they haven't been done in a while.

Reactions: Sibmets
As above, just get your car running as well as possible with excellent servicing and good fuel.
Check out the fuel cap and it may have 98 RON as the first choice and if you have been using 95 RON then the upgrade will be helpful.
I run a Skoda Fabia 1.4 16v 100bhp as a daily banger and it certainly benefitted from Tesco momentum.
I also removed as much restriction as possible in the engine cover that contains the air filter so it can breathe more easily. If your engine cover is of the same style and it has a directional flap to control where the air comes from that is actuated by hot air from the exhaust, check that the flap opens fully to let cold air in when fully warmed up. Mine was stuck on hot air the whole time so I disconnected the flap actuator and used araldite to glue it open the whole time.

Thanks for your replies, as mentioned this is my first car so im not looking for significant gains. I would be more than happy with a 10-15BHP increase so selling the car for something with more power potential just isn't feasible as its cost me almost £3k to insure 100BHP. I will certainly look into using a higher RON fuel and take a look at the air flow to the air filter though.

Thanks for your replies, as mentioned this is my first car so im not looking for significant gains. I would be more than happy with a 10-15BHP increase so selling the car for something with more power potential just isn't feasible as its cost me almost £3k to insure 100BHP. I will certainly look into using a higher RON fuel and take a look at the air flow to the air filter though.

Please be aware that any modifications you do to the car need to be declared to your insurer to keep your policy valid and at £3K for a standard car you may have a bit of a shock!