Tuning box/remap for 2016 s1

Jamesb123

Reaction score
Hi.
Just ordered a white s1 and really want to have it tuned to stage 1 to begin with. I won't have it delivered till march so just doing some research on it before it arrives. From what I can make out if I have it remapped by the likes of companies like APR or revo then it'll flag up a td1 code at the dealers even if I have the map removed before I take it to the dealers which I obviously don't want as it'll void the warranty. So that looks like it'll leave the like of a tuning box which I don't really know much about. Are they easy to install yourself or do they need to be fitted professionally. I can't seem to find any companies that deal with tuning boxes in South Wales. The closest I've found is abt tuning at bath Audi but I called them and said it would cost approximately 2000 pound fitted which I thought was a bit expensive compared to some of the other companies prices I've seen or is it worth it? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated thanks

So APR have just released a remap for the Post March 2015 Audi S1 if you want a proper map

Reactions: DTYME83
Hi.
Just ordered a white s1 and really want to have it tuned to stage 1 to begin with. I won't have it delivered till march so just doing some research on it before it arrives. From what I can make out if I have it remapped by the likes of companies like APR or revo then it'll flag up a td1 code at the dealers even if I have the map removed before I take it to the dealers which I obviously don't want as it'll void the warranty. So that looks like it'll leave the like of a tuning box which I don't really know much about. Are they easy to install yourself or do they need to be fitted professionally. I can't seem to find any companies that deal with tuning boxes in South Wales. The closest I've found is abt tuning at bath Audi but I called them and said it would cost approximately 2000 pound fitted which I thought was a bit expensive compared to some of the other companies prices I've seen or is it worth it? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated thanks
Dtuk Tuning Box,running great on mine.

Reactions: Jamesb123
So APR have just released a remap for the Post March 2015 Audi S1 if you want a proper map
I've heard good things about APR but worried about it flagging the td1 code that'll void my warranty :-(

The same thing can happen with a tuning box, a modification is a modification at the end of the day and there is now way to hide mods for the dealer, it really is that simple

Ok. I didn't realise that the box could be detected too if removed ☹️ so thought it was the safer option.

The same thing can happen with a tuning box, a modification is a modification at the end of the day and there is now way to hide mods for the dealer, it really is that simple

Tuning boxes dont throw TD1 at all as they dont alter ecu software. TD1 and checksum values police the software against port flash as i believe.
Being as these systems dont connect to ecu, rather downstream and manipulate signals from those various sensors to give the gains.
This said, a good tech could check logs on the car to see that the sensors are a little out of range at some point but sensors go out of range anyway so i would be happier knowing i can remove a plug and play system and them scratch their heads.

Reactions: owen87
Once removed there would be no concrete evidence to prove a box was ever on there unlike the risk of TD1 which once its there and in place it cant be removed even when software is flashed back to stock ( so ive heard )

No what they do is bypass errors, so if you turbo blows up do you really think the dealer isn't going to think something fishy is goin on.
DTYME83

For example if the turbo is giving to much boost it will carry, the factory ECU will not know to reduce the boost pressure.
DTYME83

No what they do is bypass errors, so if you turbo blows up do you really think the dealer isn't going to think something fishy is goin on.
DTYME83
i have personal experience of turbo failure on an early Audi S3 that was running one of our boxes, and the kit was removed car sent to
Audi who replaced the turbo without any issues at all. At the time i asked them to check to see if there was anything "fishy" and their reply was "NO"

Factor in that there isn't a single thread of warranty problems relating to any tuning box, then the evidence available would suggest that as long as the tuning box is removed, it wont affect your warranty. If you disagree with this, then i look forward to any evidence you can supply to suggest otherwise.

i have personal experience of turbo failure on an early Audi S3 that was running one of our boxes, and the kit was removed car sent to
Audi who replaced the turbo without any issues at all. At the time i asked them to check to see if there was anything "fishy" and their reply was "NO"

Factor in that there isn't a single thread of warranty problems relating to any tuning box, then the evidence available would suggest that as long as the tuning box is removed, it wont affect your warranty. If you disagree with this, then i look forward to any evidence you can supply to suggest otherwise.

A lot has changed, however I respect your comment
DTYME83

traps are being put in to detect tuning boxes even when they have been removed
DTYME83

traps are being put in to detect tuning boxes even when they have been removed
DTYME83
oh right, so again do you have any proof of this or is it something you've read on "internet"? as i have a feeling i know which video you've been watching or article you've been reading. As i said above, find me any posts anywhere regarding warranty issues after using a tuning box.

Now i know we're talking about the S1, as you have "insider knowledge" i have a question for you about a brand new RS3? would you expect adding a tuning box to a new RS3 to invalidate the warranty?

No it is not something i read on the internet, the information came from my dealer, I ma not the one of those people that read stuff on the internet and take it as red and I am not looking to argue with you. I made a comment you countered the comment, also there is no need to rude and I don't claim to have insider information. Thumbs up for the sarcasm on the RS3.
DTYME83

The other side of the coin is that all manufacturers have IT depts that watch these forums so if a big failure was claimed for then they will look for any way of a get out.

I had experience of this with Renault a few years back when making a very large claim and customer services sent me a screen shot of a post I had made on a forum (although it didn't help them in the end).

No it is not something i read on the internet, the information came from my dealer, I ma not the one of those people that read stuff on the internet and take it as red and I am not looking to argue with you. I made a comment you countered the comment, also there is no need to rude and I don't claim to have insider information. Thumbs up for the sarcasm on the RS3.
DTYME83
i wasn't being sarcastic, but i'd class info from a dealer as "insider info". I was, and am asking a genuine question about tuning an RS3 as I've just tuned and potentially had to buy a brand new RS3 this last week and what your saying is different to my own findings..

The other side of the coin is that all manufacturers have IT depts that watch these forums so if a big failure was claimed for then they will look for any way of a get out.

I had experience of this with Renault a few years back when making a very large claim and customer services sent me a screen shot of a post I had made on a forum (although it didn't help them in the end).
that is very true, i know of several vauxhall owners who fell into the trap of talking about remapping their Astra VXR's on VXRonline thats owned and ran by Vauxhall.. but lets be honest, the turbos on these new 2.0 TSI/TFSI's are failing on stock cars never mind tuned cars.

Reactions: DTYME83
All my point was in the beginning is tuning a car whether that be with a tuning box or a mpa from APR or Revo carries a risk, even when a car isn't tuned dealers hate doing things under warranty and from the information that I was told manufacturers are trying to develop traps that detect tuning boxes. I bought my car with the intention to modify it and if something goes wrong i will cross that bridge when it comes to it it.
DTYME83

So from what I can make out I think I'd prefer to go the tuning box way then. I've seen that the dtuk product seems popular. Is it easy to fit yourself or will it need to be taken to a garage to have it installed and what is the total price of it? Any suggested alternatives?

All I would add is that even if an error code or flag isn't logged on your ECU. If something was to go wrong with your car as a result of a tuning box or a remap which was then subsequently removed I think Audi would have their suspicions as to what caused that specific problem to happen which would not usually be an issue on a car that has not been messed around with.

If I went to Audi with a blown turbo I think they would accuse me of driving the car recklessly or remapping the car even if the car had no TD1 flag, tuning box or remap.

I think all Daniel is trying to say is that claiming that these boxes do not invalidate your warranty is a little dishonest basically should reword to "These tuning boxes after they've been removed can not be detected by Audi". The fact that you've used a tuning box should invalidate your warranty but because you've removed and deceived Audi that somehow validates your warranty again when the damage in question was caused as a result of fitting it in the first place? Sorry for being blunt but that's how I see it.

Also not getting into a debate over tuning boxes or remaps this is just on the warranty implications.

Reactions: Huwbert, Jamesb123 and DTYME83
@ the op , why dont you get the car first and enjoy it in standard form , its not like its a 1.0 with no go is it ??
will be better for the engine too if get s few miles on it before ringing its neck !!!!

Part of the abt version cost includes a 2 year warranty to cover anything Audi won't honour don't know quite how this would work in practice and hopefully I won't have to find out.

Is the dtuk box easy to fit and is it much of a notable difference from standard?
A family member fitted this for me,said it was straight forward,
but access to the lower boost sensor is underneath the engine,
hence you need to lift the car at the front,and remove the under tray.
As you can see on my Sig photo the box is situated where the OEM
airbox was,bolted on to the base frame.
Easy access to, place the blanking plug in which returns all settings to stock.
Settings on 3- 1 on the jumper settings(this is a pre face lift box),
The Newer Style Box has the push buttons setting on the top,so
no need to unscrew the front of the box(easy anyway with 4 x torx screws.
Improved torque,it goes like a wild terrier!
Also have a Forge Turbo Delete which aids faster Turbo Spool,so more response.
Pipercross Intake makes a nice whoosh on change up too! Without been intrusive.
So to sum up: Running about 295 ps with all parts together. 445 lbs torque.
Great Tuning Box

Part of the abt version cost includes a 2 year warranty to cover anything Audi won't honour don't know quite how this would work in practice and hopefully I won't have to find out.
Yeah that is what I liked about ABT. I have had my ABT piggyback ecu on for about 11 months / 8000 miles and everything is good. Clutch still fine as well.

Thanks for the responses everyone Much appreciated

Yea. Seems a good offer :). Would you suggest having the pedal box too or is it not really needed?
Nearly went for the pedal box, as I believe it's a good combo,
but budget didn't stretch for that as well!
Think it reduces accelerator pedal movement, re power in earlier.
Down to personal choice, but as already mentioned, well happy
with my current setup!
Forge Turbo Delete Helps that accelerator improvement,
with faster turbo spool.

is this whole system just giving the ecu false information ! have to be honest im not a fan , and ive only spoken to 1 person who s had it fitted and neither was he !!

is this whole system just giving the ecu false information ! have to be honest im not a fan , and ive only spoken to 1 person who s had it fitted and neither was he !!
Maybe ABYSS could answer that one?