Tuning box recommendations for 2.0 tdi

podiopie

Reaction score
Hi

Has anyone had a tuning box fitted to their B9 2.0tdi 190?

If so did you have any issues with the DPF coming on more often?

what are the best brands for plugging in as I don’t want to get a remap?

Any recommendations would be much appreciated, thanks in advance

DTUK are a Audi-Sport site sponser and I have found them to be extremely approachable and helpful and @ABYSS will respond to pm's here...

Unfortunately one side of the coin , they used to be the golden answer for performance , warranty and reselling .

I do believe the above is on commission..

But of late the exposure of fooling crucial sensor information to the ecu , why they really show a mpg improvement and the actual gains Vs advertised are miles apart .

One major tuning box company got taken to court and sued in Germany for it's false marketing claims .

And that same company claims my car will gain 120Nm and another company 100Nm .

Absolutely impossible when keeping the dpf .

Remappers claims average 50Nm .

I am wanting first hand experiences of what has actually been used, outcomes and recommendations really, that’s why we are all on here after all

Anyone can say anything , but you need dyno proof of before and after with any box or remap .

So with your car ' the claim' is 50 HP and 110 Nm .

Screenshot 20210212 195704 Chrome

Shall we ask Bobby about that ?

Last edited:
Only one data point for you but I would use DTUK again if the need arises.
Used previously on SQ5 and RSQ3 to achieve very positive performance increases.
On the SQ5 the DPF burn off routine occurred more regularly than without but having only used the DTUK for 2 years without an issue I am not in a position to advise on its impact on DPF longevity.
Their responsiveness to questions and issues was exemplary.

Dingah

Quite, agreed, I don't go on claimed figures anyway but on a company who tests them both on the road and on a dyno and who has produced evidence. I am not interested that one rogue and unprofessional company was found out and rightfully taken to task. Equally there are a number of remapers using generic maps making unsubstantiated claims. This happens in life unfortunately. Just go on the number on Audi owners that have enjoyed success...

Probably the 'final straw' when a 150 hp 2.0 tdi was dyno tested and out of 4 makes of tuning boxes the best result was 169 hp .

With the worst also being the most sophisticated with three channels making 145 hp .

What is the best tuning box out there then for minimal issues and price, not fussed for massive gains just some extra poke, tdi tuning have 20% off at the moment, so thinking if I get an extra 25 Bhopal might be worth it, not fussed for DTUK

Thanks, I’ve looked at you tube, more after first hand recommendation or feedback from sport members really, I don’t always trust what’s on poo tube

Reactions: cuke2u
For what they do you might as well fit a pennies / pounds resistor ( I know desertstorm had a figure ) to the fuel pressure / fuel temperature sensor .

Last edited by a moderator:
Deleted as I don't wish to have an argument with someone...

Last edited:
Reactions: podiopie
I used to have a DTUK box on my early MK7 Golf GTD (184ps 2.0TDI CR DPF).

On paper takes it to same 240ps/500Nm, never denied, but it was great. To put it in easily imaginable terms, with the box on, the car pulled 6th like stock power pulled in 4th.

I agree that mpg gains are total ********, under-reading because the car is using more fuel than it thinks it is, but as the DTUK maps don't lazily put in an arbitrary overfuel across the board, the readings with the DTUK box are close to stock readings as under low/med throttle, overfuelling isn't silly.

I actually saw my DPF regens half that of stock on my favourite setting of 2:1, but increase on setting 3:3 (huge overfuelling at the top end, but without any real performance gains.

I measured my performance gains on a slipriad onto a dual carriageway and see the speed I get to at a certain sign past my rolling start at 30mph, I compare all my cars like this. My GTD hit 81mph stock and 88mph with box.

Prior to the DTUK box I had a TDITuning box on my GTD, which was atrocious- crude and massive overfuelling at every throttle input - put your foot down, get wheelspin in 3rd at 65mph and mpg over-reading by 20% and DPF regens very frequent - avoid TDITuning.

Seriously thinking about getting a DTUK box again. My GTD was a manual and the clutch coped with the extra power/torque. The A4 is DSG - do stock clamping pressures on the DSG clutches hold with 240ps/510Nm or will I need a DSG remap?

My Dad's DSG on his Golf GTD held up, but that is the 6 speed variant, not sure if the 7 speed box is more sensitive or delicate than the 6 speed.

Last edited:
Only one data point for you but I would use DTUK again if the need arises.
Used previously on SQ5 and RSQ3 to achieve very positive performance increases.
On the SQ5 the DPF burn off routine occurred more regularly than without but having only used the DTUK for 2 years without an issue I am not in a position to advise on its impact on DPF longevity.
Their responsiveness to questions and issues was exemplary.

Dingah

Just to comment purely on the DPF filling situation :-

The DPF stores incombustible ash after regen. Unless the car's fuel or oil consumption is markedly up, you won't be accumulating any more ash as trace inorganic material in the fuel or in any burnt oil.

My Dad's 2013 Golf GTD DSG is up to about 155k miles now. At about 140k miles he was getting almost permanent regens as his DPF seemed to be at ash capacity. He used some fuel additive to clean the DPF and it seems to have worked. Bear in mind that almost all of the first 105k miles were done with a DTUK box on. He took it off after he was getting issues with it when the local dealership applied a dieselgate "fix" when it was in for servicing. Pretty sure Andrew at DTUK could've sorted out a new map on his box but my dad never pursued it.

Around 140-150k miles ties in with DPF left expectancy reported when new (since then people have devised chemical solutions for clearing out the ash and even removal of the exhaust system on the car and pressure washing it! From that info I'd deduce the DTUK box didn't cause the DPF to fill prematurely.