Tuning box -190 TDI

Well I had a demo fit of a Stage 3 box on my car today and all I can say is......WOW!!!!

Pushes the car up to 240 bhp and 510 nm Torque!

I feels absolutely rapid on the maps ranging from progressive power delivery to mid-range punch.
The car ended up driving like my old S3 rather than a diesel!

Reactions: syed123 and h1r4
Did the car feel "normal"? I fitted a JB1 to my Audi S1 and it introduced some vibrations through the pedals at idle which I really didn't like.

Was the S-Tronic box jerky and hesitant afterwards?

No vibrations through the pedals. I have a manual and that suits the tuning boxes better.

It really transformed the car, and pushes it into similar performance figures as the 3.0tdi 272, albeit quicker accelerating.

No vibrations through the pedals. I have a manual and that suits the tuning boxes better.

It really transformed the car, and pushes it into similar performance figures as the 3.0tdi 272, albeit quicker accelerating.

Sounds good then :) My other concern with these things is how they affect the DPF since they're dumping more fuel in.

I wonder if 510nm would be okay with s tronic?

Also can audi detect tunning boxes now or?

Last edited:
good question,.....whats the insurance uplift like with the Tuning box as well?

I thought the audi stronic gearboxes have a higher torque rating than the manual versions too...

Reactions: h1r4
Audi can't detect the tuning boxes. I know of a particular manufacturer that has physically tested it and no trace!
As for long term wear issues.....I don't know as I'm all new to tuning boxes.

It's interesting to note that BMW dealerships are offering tuning boxes to customers!

This is very tempting! , did you try the pedal box with the tunning box aswell?

No. There is no way it would need a pedal box. The map 3 +1 was savage!!! Sooo much fun!

Just had a look on DTUK website - and they don't have the TFSI 190 kits in yet. Really want to try this - but as I am on a PCP lease - worried about getting caught :)

No DTUK don't, I emailed them just before I got my motor and all they said to me was that they don't have them. I haven't heard of anyone being caught by Audi detecting a tuning box, however anything is possible if they look deep enough and find something running outside of it's default settings. A tuning box doesn't raise a TD1 though and if you remove the box, and all of it's plumbing before you take the car into the dealership then there shouldn't be any suspicions raised.

I was thinking about this the other day, you should be declaring this to your insurer so would Audi then be able to look that up even if nothing is flagged up by their diagnostics?

I don't think Audi can access your insurance details unless your insurance is with them, even then I am not sure...

Not really, as far as I know they only do software remaps which will always get you into trouble. They are also still in the development stage for the higher output 2.0l tfsi engine..

I see, but I had a tuning box on my 1.4 A3 and was very happy with it, also DTUK do one for the higher output b9 2.0l and I know of at least one other...

Not sure I'd call 11% less bhp and 15% less torque "similar", but it looks ;like a decent improvement over stock. ;)

Reactions: syed123
Not sure I'd call 11% less bhp and 15% less torque "similar", but it looks ;like a decent improvement over stock. ;)

Power to weight ratio my friend. The 2.0tdi FWD having a much better weight saving.

Fair point! Did you get a 0-60 time with the box on?

No I was too busy hanging on for dear life! Lol. The thing is balls out rapid! I can't believe how quick it is for a diesel let alone a 2.0!

It defo feels a lot more than 240bhp!!!

I've driven 330d's before amongst other high performance diesels but this thing is proper rapid!

Be interested to see some times once you get one fitted.

How is the front grip when pulling away, with all that torque I would have thought it would be 'interesting'...

Despite what the the manufacturers of these boxes say usually the power outputs fall short of their claims.
I am not doubting there is a good step in performance just that the numbers may not be quite up there.
If you look at a Revo remap for that car they only only quote 234ps to 243ps and 495-515Nm for a stage 1 map. They have the ability to modify many more parameters than just fuel rail pressure and boost and yet the tuning box is claiming results at the top end of the range.
FWD is not so bad when you are moving and the road is dry, However accelerating from rest or trying to accelerate quickly in the wet with over 220bhp and 500Nm of torque will usually result in a lot of intervention from the ESP as the traction control reigns in power.A quattro car just grips and goes, I drove around in a Passat 1.9TDI running a hybrid turbo for several years that was making nearly 220bhp and 450Nm and that was a handful when trying to press on in poor weather conditions, Despite fitting the best tyres I could .
That's why my current car is a quattro.

Well I bought mine Thursday , got it Friday. being the idiot I am I tried to install it last night couldn't get the clips off! so just done it now in 5minutes! holy **** is it fast now.

( S tronic gearbox seems to be happy aswell )

Reactions: ScottishA4B9, syed123 and thewanted
Despite what the the manufacturers of these boxes say usually the power outputs fall short of their claims.
I am not doubting there is a good step in performance just that the numbers may not be quite up there.
If you look at a Revo remap for that car they only only quote 234ps to 243ps and 495-515Nm for a stage 1 map. They have the ability to modify many more parameters than just fuel rail pressure and boost and yet the tuning box is claiming results at the top end of the range.
FWD is not so bad when you are moving and the road is dry, However accelerating from rest or trying to accelerate quickly in the wet with over 220bhp and 500Nm of torque will usually result in a lot of intervention from the ESP as the traction control reigns in power.A quattro car just grips and goes, I drove around in a Passat 1.9TDI running a hybrid turbo for several years that was making nearly 220bhp and 450Nm and that was a handful when trying to press on in poor weather conditions, Despite fitting the best tyres I could .

H
hey, I defo remember your posts from some time back, I take it u own a modified v6 tdi?
On the quattro grip, I understand it's been abit wet in the last few days but my 272 a4 is out of control lol
It's got a tuning box on from tdi tuning n I can literally just tap the accelerator in dynamic round a corner n almost lot control the other day, even from a stand still using launch n just flat out flooring it the wheels were spinning with esp on..
Is this normal?

Syed

I have a 3.0 TDI A4 quattro running a hybrid turbo and some other mods 380bhp 750Nm and I don't really have many issues getting the power down even in the wet. It's quite amazing how it just grips and goes. The traction light might be flashing a bit but the car still gathers speed much the same as it does in the dry.
I put a lot of that down to the Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres which are great appart from the dismal rim protector.
What tyres are you running on the car.

Wow, sounds very impressive!
My cars meant to produce 320bhp with 700nm n it's an absolute torque monster.. it is getting faster now over time and has done 5k miles.. but the wheelspin really scared me!
I'm running the standard hankooks that came from factory.. are they any good? They do grip very well and the ride comfort is magic carpet like..
BTW wats the 0 60 on ur car now? Would like to compare to mine :p
I first got 4.7 and 4.4 seconds using launch wen I first tuned it and I did it again a few days ago n got 4.2! If I was to flat out floor it id say it does 60 in the late 4s..
Interesting to see the potential of these v6 tdis

Reactions: Daggerit
I have tried working out the 0-60 time from 1/4 mile runs I have done and it's somewhere around 4.7 seconds.
The issue I have is my car is a manual, and I can't change gear as quick as an 8 Speed ZF box so potentially lose a few tenths there. You should get yourself to a run what you brung at a drag strip to really find out what the car can do. My car was the quickest diesel at Gti International in 2015 and the second quickest in 2016 running 13.1 at 109mph. Got no chance of beating Bobby Singh in his 450bhp 900Nm A4 running 12.1 at 113mph .
I think you can get grippier tyres than the Hankooks, I would invest in some when those are worn out. Shouldn't be too long to wait.

Reactions: S.line
I have tried working out the 0-60 time from 1/4 mile runs I have done and it's somewhere around 4.7 seconds.
The issue I have is my car is a manual, and I can't change gear as quick as an 8 Speed ZF box so potentially lose a few tenths there. You should get yourself to a run what you brung at a drag strip to really find out what the car can do. My car was the quickest diesel at Gti International in 2015 and the second quickest in 2016 running 13.1 at 109mph. Got no chance of beating Bobby Singh in his 450bhp 900Nm A4 running 12.1 at 113mph .
I think you can get grippier tyres than the Hankooks, I would invest in some when those are worn out. Shouldn't be too long to wait.

Not bad!
I'd be very interested in going to one of them drag races for sure! A few petrolhead mates of mine were telling me to go‎

For me this tune is more than enough but will see how I get on over time.. early 4seconds for an audi a4 tdi must be one of the quickest accelerating audi diesels on road right now
The ZF 8 speed has also been excellent, can't imagine how s tronic would deal with such grunt, in fact id say the shifts on mine atm are quicker than my a3 tdi s tronic which also had a tcu tune to it..(rifle sharp)‎
I've seen Bobby singhs thread a while back, 900nm! That is overkill I wonder wat that feels like :eek:
Yeap, il keep the hankooks on for now.. n try not to get too carried away with the launches lol‎

Getting the post back on track......I could feel ever so slightly on pick up on one of the maps that the tyres started to lose traction, but just as quick the Hankook tyres dug in and gripped for the power delivery! Can't fault them!

Reactions: cuke2u and h1r4
I had a few runs tonight. I must say it doesn't take long for it to reach the speed limit. it's very fast and responsive. I'm not sure if it feels like it's putting out 240 bhp I believe less but a rolling road will show true stats!

Thank you dtuk for a good tunning box!

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
I am using Map 3+1!

Reactions: ScottishA4B9