tuned 272 v6 tdi to s4, rs5 b9 or new a7?

syed123

Reaction score
So my pcp will be finished in 2 years.

I'm considering to either upgrade early or within the year.

Considering either an s4, rs5 b9 or the new a7

I really really like the sound of the s4/s5 (think it sounds way better than the rs4/5 but only concerned about how much of a jump it would be performance wise to my tuned 272.

My car is hitting 0 60 in the low 4s with launch control and does amazing economy on average, a balance impossible to find on petrol engines of course.. Not that u would buy an s or rs for economy lol.

So if I'm willing to sacrifice economy should I just go for the rs? I just want a big jump rather than a small one in performance if I'm going to be losing all that mpg.

The s also has 200nm less torque than my car which I feel would make quite a difference with midrange performance despite having around 30bhp more. The rs on the other hand has 600nm which was what my car had standard plus 100bhp over the s.

Sound - the videos I've heard of the s4 do sound a lot better than the rs but I'm yet to experience the difference between the 2 in the flesh, can anyone help?

Reactions: Thundercliffe81

I really really like the sound of the s4/s5 (think it sounds way better than the rs4/5 but only concerned about how much of a jump it would be performance wise to my tuned 272.

My car is hitting 0 60 in the low 4s with launch control and does amazing economy on average, a balance impossible to find on petrol engines of course.. Not that u would buy an s or rs for economy lol.

So if I'm willing to sacrifice economy should I just go for the rs? I just want a big jump rather than a small one in performance if I'm going to be losing all that mpg.

The s also has 200nm less torque than my car which I feel would make quite a difference with midrange performance despite having around 30bhp more. The rs on the other hand has 600nm which was what my car had standard plus 100bhp over the s.

Sound - the videos I've heard of the s4 do sound a lot better than the rs but I'm yet to experience the difference between the 2 in the flesh, can anyone help?

Some good viewpoints there.

I think torque is the main factor here. You're going to notice a drop in the S4. In my S4 it does drop off towards the top end (even though it does rev out nicely).

Of the cars you've listed as a possible move, I'd say the RS5. But the 4 does handle better from everything I've seen and read. I think there's a better sense of occasion too. That engine just suits it more. Remus and Miltek haven't quite cracked the exhaust yet IMO. It's too weak still. I'd suggest a custom option. But yeah, new A7 is massive. It's all about tech. RS5/4 for a few years and get yourself in an RS6 after that haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: syed123

Just go drive the S and RS back to back. Most dealers will have both in just now I reckon.

RS5 does not sound good at all. RS3 sounds a lot better as does the S4..

But take a test drive of both the s4 & rs5 and see which more suits you more

I’m no expert on tuning but surely if you also go down the tuning route on the S4/RS5 then the gains would be better (0-60) and similar in torque compared to your diesel with the added bonus you’ve moved up to an S/RS model?

My S4 is completely stock but I am getting the itch for more power which I’m sure a tuning box will sort.

I bet the mid range on your diesel is amazing but with a bit of tuning and the better engine/exhaust sound on the S4 to add to the occasion would keep you happy :icon thumright:

Reactions: syed123 and Thundercliffe81

I was on a stand recently with a S5 and I agree the S sounds better than the RS. My car got a lot of attention of course (only B9 there that day) but I was a tad p*ssed when we had a "rev off" !

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Simonwhite2000, syed123 and Thundercliffe81
I was on a stand recently with a S5 and I agree the S sounds better than the RS. My car got a lot of attention of course (only B9 there that day) but I was a tad p*ssed when we had a "rev off" !

TX.

See, I heard the difference on a YouTube video that had a cold start of the S5 vs RS5. The S5 was deeper and seemed to have just a tad more character. I kinda shrugged it off as "nahhhhh, can't be".

Good on ya for admitting it I know these silly EU regs are killing car sound but it's just getting daft now. To the point where 'you' have to make the car sound better. Go custom exhaust. Everything out there aftermarket wise sounds just as weak.

Yeah the 4 is a totally amazing car with just the lack of noise letting it down, EU Regs I agree. All going the same way it seems although weird that S vs RS are so different!

TX.

Edit - the Manhart RS5 sounds epic so it is possible to deal with it aftermarket.

Yeah the 4 is a totally amazing car with just the lack of noise letting out down, EU Regs I agree. All going the same way it seems although weird that S vs RS are so different!

TX.

I'm sure it's still a single branch exhaust. Maybe smaller piping for more pressure? I dunno. It's a 3L too. Might make a tiny difference.

I'm sure it's still a single branch exhaust. Maybe smaller piping for more pressure? I dunno. It's a 3L too. Might make a tiny difference.

Single branch yes afaik vs previous RS3 with dual that sounded like the devil's own transport ;)

TX.

Some very good points here.

Sure, if I get an s or rs I'll defo go down the tuning route.

I know an s or rs will always have the better performance numbers once tuned even despite the massive torque on my car so that's also worth a mention.

I've had a few skirmishes with s3s, m140is and one s5. We always seem to be neck n neck - very surprised with the m140i though, the traction is so good for a rear wheel drive car!

What il do is test drive them both and also the new a7 to see what suits me best.

The a7 to me is the ultimate car, I'm just dissapointed with the engine choices really.

An rs4/5 will surely be special - if I got it I would go either sonoma green or nardo grey.

Funnily enough I remember one of the sales guys at Finchley Road Audi raving on about how he saw the tuning box on my car n asked why I wanted to test drive the s or rs as I had the diesel equivalent (I hope they didn't go on a joyride)

So I'm definently gonna enquire about a test drive.

Has anyone here done extended test drives? A quick 20 min drive really doesn't do any of the cars justice. I don't wanna drive an s4 on a day the gearbox decides to play up lol as it will spoil it for me. I think an extended test drive gives me more time to gel with what the cars feel like properly to make a decision.

Not everyone wants to use a tuning box but you can take an S4/S5 to 405bhp with one for 600 quid. I drove a standard RS5 and compared to my tuned S5 performance was hardly any different. Interestingly the RS5 had the sports exhaust but didnt sound all that great. Quite loud but not a nice loud particularly. I certainly didnt feel the RS5 was worth approx £20k more.
On the flipside you could get an RS5 take it to nigh on 500bhp and a decent aftermarket exhaust might pop up. Manhart make the RS5 sound good but I suspect their exhaust is seriously expensive.
A7 has the latest tech and the new styling that will begin to filter through the entire range but the rear looks quite odd with those 'exhausts'.

Single branch yes afaik vs previous RS3 with dual that sounded like the devil's own transport ;)

TX.

Yeah. The PFL RS3 and RS6 sports exhaust seemed to be the last 'let your hair down' Audis. That RS3 was an ASBO! So to stay on point, I'd still RS5/4 for the added wow factor over an S4 but something GOT to be done with the exhaust.

Reactions: Terminator x and syed123
Not everyone wants to use a tuning box but you can take an S4/S5 to 405bhp with one for 600 quid. I drove a standard RS5 and compared to my tuned S5 performance was hardly any different. Interestingly the RS5 had the sports exhaust but didnt sound all that great. Quite loud but not a nice loud particularly. I certainly didnt feel the RS5 was worth approx £20k more.
On the flipside you could get an RS5 take it to nigh on 500bhp and a decent aftermarket exhaust might pop up. Manhart make the RS5 sound good but I suspect their exhaust is seriously expensive.
A7 has the latest tech and the new styling that will begin to filter through the entire range but the rear looks quite odd with those 'exhausts'.

Yeah, I can imagine a tuned s4 being very similar power wise to an rs4/5

What would the nature of the engine differences be like though? As the rs is twinturbo with the s being single.

Another point is the bodykit on the rs, my car could easily be an s to non car people until you look at the back.

The presence of the rs with the wheel arches etc sets it off for me, but is it worth 20k more? Debatable.

My current a4 was specced to 46k but with the discount I manged to get it down to 35k!

When I specced the rs5 with a few options I thought I would need, it came up to 86k!

On the other end of the spectrum the a7 came up to around 70k with the configuration I wanted.

In a year or 2 it will be interesting to find an rs to my spec as it could be a bit cheaper then I hope..