TTS or S3

Sharkey

Reaction score
ordered an S3 but still on the fence between that and the TTS? Is the TTS a birds car?!

I cancelled my TTS order in favour of an S3 because of the new Mmi interface - passengers can't see/use it.

I have an S3 and a TT. I drive the S3 everyday... the wife drives the TT everyday..erm no it's not a birds car.. :jester::)

To be honest though I don't think it is designed with women in mind, for some reason it has been categorized as a womans/hairdressers car?.

the new TTS is really a lovely bit of kit and will be our replacement for the current TT. And I think it will be a fight in the morning with who gets to take what car. lol. If you like it and have driven one (or new TT anyway) then go for it. The new MMI is brilliant, we don't generally have passengers so suits us! :)

All the best with your decision. :thumbs up:

I'd have gone for a TT over the S3, but I need a car that seats 4 adults for business use. The TT is most definitely not a girls car, much like the MX-5 is definitely not a girls (or hairdressers) car. Anyone who says either is a girls car either knows nothing about cars or is being very complimentary to girls! Of course, the TT may be an estate agents car of choice... ;-)

TT hands down all day. I love the cabin inside them and it's a much sportier looking car than an S3

TTS for it sheer looks,stunning looking car especially in Silver or Sepang with 20's on it,well optioned TTs £47k but the S3 has better dashboard layout

If I didnt need four (or five) seats I would buy another TTS. Superb car but not very practical.

Loved the slightly stretched concept TT with room for adults with legs in the back! Shame, as boot space is huge and easily accessible.

The TTS will certainly be on my short list in a couple of years time and by then reasonable discounts will be available,best looking car in the Audi line up

As a Mark 2 TT and 8V A3 SB owner it has to be the TT for looks but I agree with the comment about the Virtual Cockpit. In our TT the passenger can use the MMI and change satnav or radio and media settings but in the Mk3 TT it's the driver only who can access these. I think it is significant that in the new Q7 there is a Virtual Cockpit AND a screen as in the A3 so both bases are covered. The other thing which amazes me about the new TT is that self-parking is an option but you cannot specify Adaptive Cruise Control. Bit odd if you ask me as I think that ACC would be a must-have on the TT.

Love the TTS but I'm a big guy (6ft 6") and although I 'fit' in one, it ain't the most comfortable experience. Lovely looking car though. S3.....bags of room, comfortable and I love it. The outcome is therefore pre-determined for me.

Just visited the Audi configurator,reason why...? the difference in price between the new TTS and the new RS3 SB..........Now IF you can afford a TTS with say a reasonable amount of options say £43-44k,you can afford a well optioned RS3 AND TO ME ITS A NO BRAINER...RS3....all the time

Reactions: Leegaryhall
Just visited the Audi configurator,reason why...? the difference in price between the new TTS and the new RS3 SB..........Now IF you can afford a TTS with say a reasonable amount of options say £43-44k,you can afford a well optioned RS3 AND TO ME ITS A NO BRAINER...RS3....all the time
You took the words out of my mouth! Would love me of those new RS3 In Nardo grey (like the one doing the rounds in all the reviews online)
Although I work near an Audi dealer in Huntingdon and they have a gorgeous red TTS which I walk past every day......soon tempting lol

Sat in a new TT and I didn't really fit in it. Apart from that i'd have one!

I've owned a TTS and RS, definitely NOT for hairdressers or 'birds' - you get the jokes aimed at you, usually from people who are simply jealous. Surprisingly practical cars too - fold the rear seats and I could get all my fishing gear in.

The new TT (and S) is a bit of a mixed bag IMO. The dashboard, I'm not sold on it, but to drive it is a step on from the previous car and although I have yet to drive a TTS, the two litre I drove was way better than my S3. You sit lower, the seats are more comfortable and you can get the steering wheel nice and low. You feel much more connected to the car in the TT. Hard to explain, but the S3 is just one of those cars that doesn't make me want to drive it. Also, in the S3 I still find it hard to find a good driving position. Looks wise? The new S3 in all guises is a bit of a dull affair and in truth, the previous 8P I think was actually better looking. The new TT, looks wise, blows the S3 away. Had the new TTS been around when I traded my TTRS, I would have bought one instead of my S3, which frankly was the only choice I had when I needed to trade the car. It was either that or a golf R/Merc AMG, the S3 was IMO best of the three...

The problem is, the new TTS, specced lightly is £45k, that's an RS3. Performance wise, on paper the new TTS is almost as quick as the RS3 AND looks so much better. I'm driving a new TTS in a few weeks. I plan to order an RS3 when I change my S3 but will I be tempted back into a TTS? Cost wise, as stated there's nothing in it, apart from the TTS will be cheaper to run. We shall see. I need to see a TTS in vegas yellow, hmmm... could be tempted!

Last edited:
I've owned a TTS and RS, definitely NOT for hairdressers or 'birds' - you get the jokes aimed at you, usually from people who are simply jealous. Surprisingly practical cars too - fold the rear seats and I could get all my fishing gear in.

The new TT (and S) is a bit of a mixed bag IMO. The dashboard, I'm not sold on it, but to drive it is a step on from the previous car and although I have yet to drive a TTS, the two litre I drove was way better than my S3. You sit lower, the seats are more comfortable and you can get the steering wheel nice and low. You feel much more connected to the car in the TT. Hard to explain, but the S3 is just one of those cars that doesn't make me want to drive it. Also, in the S3 I still find it hard to find a good driving position. Looks wise? The new S3 in all guises is a bit of a dull affair and in truth, the previous 8P I think was actually better looking. The new TT, looks wise, blows the S3 away. Had the new TTS been around when I traded my TTRS, I would have bought one instead of my S3, which frankly was the only choice I had when I needed to trade the car. It was either that or a golf R/Merc AMG, the S3 was IMO best of the three...

The problem is, the new TTS, specced lightly is £45k, that's an RS3. Performance wise, on paper the new TTS is almost as quick as the RS3 AND looks so much better. I'm driving a new TTS in a few weeks. I plan to order an RS3 when I change my S3 but will I be tempted back into a TTS? Cost wise, as stated there's nothing in it, apart from the TTS will be cheaper to run. We shall see. I need to see a TTS in vegas yellow, hmmm... could be tempted!

I agree with a lot you have said regarding the S3/TTS/RS3...with all respect the RS3 is a blank canvass,none on the forum have driven one and hopefully Audi have irradicated all the S3's bad points on the RS3,basically its all down to what you can afford and how much "Audi madness you have in your blood",the RS3 i specced similar to my S3? was £50k

l love the look of both cars and on a "Straight" "point to point" the RS3 would be the faster car.l have been promised a over night test drive on the first demonstator from my sons showroom cant wait,would love to get them Lunar Silver SS seats...lol

Performance wise, on paper the new TTS is almost as quick as the RS3 - isn't the TTS basically the same performance wise as the S3? Same engine and all? Think the RS3 is a step up performance wise.
Can't justify 45k in a TTS when same spec S3 can be had for 35k

Reactions: Jassyo06
Of the TT range the TTS surprisingly appears the 'best' value as it's pretty well spec'd.
That said I would not buy one as I'm no longer convinced on the looks. The mk2 is still the better looking car. The mk 3 at the front is just too odd and all the slightly squared off lines just don't flow well like in the mk 2
The TT is very colour dependent on whether it's acceptable or not to my eye.

I'm glad I went for the S3 in the end, BUT although I've got it as a stop gap I now don't know what to get next.
TT is not to my taste and a boxster/cockster is too much.

VWGR.......?

When you see the new TTS in the flesh, trust me, it looks fantastic. Then I look at my S3 and to be honest, it makes my car look pretty ordinary. The RS3? I have not seen or driven one, so have to reserve judgement, but the things I don't like about my S3 will possibly still be present with the RS3. Price wise? The TTS is £44k in the spec I want, the RS3, nearly £48k. The RS will be expensive to run, the TTS less so. Also, the TTS has a little more power than the S3 and is lighter. Quoted 0 - 60 is 4.6 for the S tronic. 4.3 for the RS3. OK, run flat out the RS will be faster, but in the real world? My last TTS could stay glued to the back of a Cayman S, yet on paper the porker should have pulled away from me. Looks wise, the RS3 is firmly beaten IMO. Take a look for yourselves:

http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthread.php?7149041-TTS-STR-8S-from-Slovakia

QED, if you don't need the extra doors of the RS3, I think the TTS pulls on your heart a bit more than the RS3 sportback and I already know the SS seats and driving position in the TTS are much better than my S3 ( I sat in a new TTS last week - test driving one tomorrow). I really want to like the RS3, but this all feels like deju vu for me, as I had to make a choice between TTS and RS3 (8P) before, obviously I went for the TTS ...

Last edited:
When you see the new TTS in the flesh, trust me, it looks fantastic. Then I look at my S3 and to be honest, it makes my car look pretty ordinary. The RS3? I have not seen or driven one, so have to reserve judgement, but the things I don't like about my S3 will possibly still be present with the RS3. Price wise? The TTS is £44k in the spec I want, the RS3, nearly £48k. The RS will be expensive to run, the TTS less so. Also, the TTS has a little more power than the S3 and is lighter. Quoted 0 - 60 is 4.6 for the S tronic. 4.3 for the RS3. OK, run flat out the RS will be faster, but in the real world? My last TTS could stay glued to the back of a Cayman S, yet on paper the porker should have pulled away from me. Looks wise, the RS3 is firmly beaten IMO. Take a look for yourselves:

http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthread.php?7149041-TTS-STR-8S-from-Slovakia

QED, if you don't need the extra doors of the RS3, I think the TTS pulls on your heart a bit more than the RS3 sportback and I already know the SS seats and driving position in the TTS are much better than my S3 ( I sat in a new TTS last week - test driving one tomorrow). I really want to like the RS3, but this all feels like deju vu for me, as I had to make a choice between TTS and RS3 (8P) before, obviously I went for the TTS ...

Hi Mark,l have never driven the old TTS nor the 8P RS3,the TT never done it for me looks wise the RS3 8P did though "BEAST" of a car, l couldnt afford one at the time,the new RS3 is better value for money than the new TTS,l have seen the new TTS there was a Silver one at the dealership when l picked up my S3 with 20" alloys on it,it was £47,000. like a lot of members on this forum their S3 is a stepping stone to some other car thats better/different,l for one wouldnt have a S3 if my son didnt sell Audi's,l would be on the waiting list for the new Focus RS,but l am glad he does work for Audi now and not Ford,cos my next Audi car's model designation will begin with R and end in 3,l hope your next car does for ya

Last edited:
Reactions: SilureMark
Cheers... horses for courses really I suppose. If they did the RS3 in a three door hatch, it would be a harder decision for me. I only need two seats and a boot, so the TT is perfect. To the best of my knowledge it's one of the few coupes where you can drop the rear 'seats' and you have almost as much room as normal sized family hatchback. I do a lot of fishing, so that's very useful to me. I've literally just got back from driving a new TTS... loved it! You feel much more connected to the car than in the S3. It's sharper, more responsive and feels that little bit quicker too. It also makes a little more noise than my S3. The driving position is perfect for me and I quickly started to like the dash. On the TTS it's some really cool displays you can dial up. I'll not jump to any conclusions yet, as I need to drive the new RS3, but that TTS was ****** good. If I had to make a comparison between that and my S3, the TTS beats it hands down. My only gripe was the mag ride and the car I drove had ***, which is still pants in the TT. It was actually OK in comfort, but select dynamic and it all went to rat ****. Having said that, it was on 20" rims, so that can't have helped. The car I drove is £47k if I wanted it. Feck me, that's a lot of money for a TT. Decent spec RS3 will be around that and I think you'll get more for your money with the RS. Demo car due in next month I am told...

Reactions: Jassyo06
Will be interested to see how you think the TTS and new RS3 compare once you've driven both. Thought the TTS was going to be my next car this time last year but the pricing compared to the RS3 has changed my thinking. And I love the 5 cylinder engine.

Cheers... horses for courses really I suppose. If they did the RS3 in a three door hatch, it would be a harder decision for me. I only need two seats and a boot, so the TT is perfect. To the best of my knowledge it's one of the few coupes where you can drop the rear 'seats' and you have almost as much room as normal sized family hatchback. I do a lot of fishing, so that's very useful to me. I've literally just got back from driving a new TTS... loved it! You feel much more connected to the car than in the S3. It's sharper, more responsive and feels that little bit quicker too. It also makes a little more noise than my S3. The driving position is perfect for me and I quickly started to like the dash. On the TTS it's some really cool displays you can dial up. I'll not jump to any conclusions yet, as I need to drive the new RS3, but that TTS was ****** good. If I had to make a comparison between that and my S3, the TTS beats it hands down. My only gripe was the mag ride and the car I drove had ***, which is still pants in the TT. It was actually OK in comfort, but select dynamic and it all went to rat ****. Having said that, it was on 20" rims, so that can't have helped. The car I drove is £47k if I wanted it. Feck me, that's a lot of money for a TT. Decent spec RS3 will be around that and I think you'll get more for your money with the RS. Demo car due in next month I am told...

Hy Mark,l went on the Audi configurator,these are my choices on spec and colour for the TTS and the RS3 mate,there's roughly a £1000 between the 2 cars if you spec the TTS with S-Tronic which l wouldnt would rather have the munual gearbox on the TTS

Code for the TTS ACJUHOVU
Code for the RS3 ACGCKN87............The RS3 LOOKS AWESOME LOL