TTS coolant issue - head gasket?

sionie1

Reaction score
Our 58 plate tts roadster with 18k has been losing coolant at a rate of knots. Approx 5 litres in the past 2 weeks, on a daily round trip of 14 miles. Our local indie did a compression test and diagnosed a knackered head gasket. We contacted Audi, who have taken the car to the local stealers.. And the fun has begun!
The audi technician is saying its not the head gasket, it's something else. What that something is is yet to be confirmed.
can anyone suggest anything else it's likely to be. Something that causes the coolant loss, into the exhaust system, where it evaporates in clouds of steam.. I'm at my wits end now, with 2 completely different diagnosis.

Does it have any issues starting?

The coolant warning light has been coming on, hence us being alerted to the issue. The indie initially said there's no way it's the head gasket, too low mileage, and too new a car.. He says he was shocked.

If it was leaking internally you would possibly see mustard & also bad starting, externally it would be fairly obvious at that rate.

So I'd go with hose or rad leaks, but your guy has done a pressure test on coolant system huh.

Did he use the pressure unit on the coolant reservoir to test?

Any part can go wrong at anytime, no matter what age.

If it was leaking internally you would possibly see mustard & also bad starting, externally it would be fairly obvious at that rate.

So I'd go with hose or rad leaks, but your guy has done a pressure test on coolant system huh.

Did he use the pressure unit on the coolant reservoir to test?

Any part can go wrong at anytime, no matter what age.

if I'm honest I don't know which test he did.. I'm going back in the morning to ask, before I head off to the Audi dealer.

Would this explain the coolant entering the exhaust system? The indie refilled the coolant and left it in the workshop overnight, no leaks...

Would this explain the coolant entering the exhaust system? The indie refilled the coolant and left it in the workshop overnight, no leaks...

Have found out that the indie ran a co2 test, which showed up that co2 was in the coolant system...

Urm if thats the case its very likely then yes, but I would to be sure stick a pressure unit on the coolant reservoir upto 1bar or so & leave overnight, see if its loses pressure, then you should see any external leaks, if none & its dropped then it must be head gasket or head.

Urm if thats the case its very likely then yes, but I would to be sure stick a pressure unit on the coolant reservoir upto 1bar or so & leave overnight, see if its loses pressure, then you should see any external leaks, if none & its dropped then it must be head gasket or head.

Cheers. Will get onto the dealers on Monday .