TTRS disc enquirers...

BennybS3

Reaction score
Sooo unfortunately my car has to come off the road as I got hit with a SPD this week for 8 weeks

So thought this would be perfect time to get the s3 ready for summer as seeing tho my brakes was on there way out Iv now decided instead forking out for standard I'm going go TTRS set up.

Now few Qs I have

Would I be right in looking at 370mm discs and what brand?

What pads do people recommended to be fitted with the RS Callipers?

What have people done to the back brakes of they have uprated the fronts?

I'm also getting some new alloys once my speedlines have sold and I wanted bring the wheels out slightly more but Iv also read in several places that RS3 discs and TTRS discs are different so amount of space needed varies can you share some light on this?

The Audi will be going thru some massive changes within these 8 weeks so will do a progress build thread once started

A lot of people seem to go for redstuff pads in the RS3 . They are quite a reasonable price, just bought some from Car parts for less for the Q5 Brembo calipers I have bought for my car. You don't get a wear sensor though.
Part number is DP31210C. The CP4L stock number is 929690016 and they were £92.02 delivered with the 10% discount code they have for the performance parts.
http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/search/929690016

Reactions: S. and 45bvtc
sorry to hear that.

ttrs brakes come with 370 mm discs. you need ttrs discs so they can fit directly on s3. i think there isn't much aftermarket options for oem discs, i think tarrox does them, and that's all i've seen. but you can use calipers with ap discs, with adapters, or even oem s3 discs 345mm again with adapters.

for pads, i've used oem's i think they are made by brembo, now i use ate pads with wear sensor, for mostly road use they are great and the price is good. you can use other pads like ebc, ferodo, pagid, but they might not be listed for ttrs, but i believe they are same pads used on wrx sti, but they don't come with wear sensor.

for the rears, s3 brakes are good enough, with better pads. but you can use rs6 rear discs with adapters if you want to, or aftermarket rear setup like forge.

with oem wheels you'll need spacers, 12mm should do the job, but fitting other wheels without spacers requires good spoke design and right offset.
i'm running oz ultraleggera 18x8 et45 and it's a tight fit, few mm's between spokes and calipers, you'll also need to find the way to fit wheel weights because there's not enough space for them (mine are fitted to the outside of the wheels).
here's a good guide regarding the wheels http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/ttrs-brakes-on-an-s3-fitment-guide-inc-std-s3-wheels.196782/
hope it helps.

Reactions: S3Alex
I think that up to a point the rears will cope well with a change of pads as S has said above.

I used a set of ZeroSixty discs with Mintex 1155pads and found that worked well up to a point but the rear was still going light under heavy braking and moving around a bit.

The last swap was for a set of Forge's 4 pot calipers for the rear with EBC red stuff pads.
The kit is almost certainly a K-Sport one branded for Forge but it's an improvement for the rear,and is a bolt-on addition.

I used an AP kit for the fronts.

When you look at the rear caliper it's easy to see why it's a bit weak.

A8C4EE71-FAC6-4F82-BF86-6B5067344AF7_zpspz7aiw7w.jpg

The Forge kit is better....

B4050A86-7EA5-488E-B51F-561E063BAC02_zpso0ipfhdk.jpg

Reactions: S.
Sooo unfortunately my car has to come off the road as I got hit with a SPD this week for 8 weeks

Iv also read in several places that RS3 discs and TTRS discs are different so amount of space needed varies can you share some light on this?

What is a SPD?

RS3 discs are the wrong offset for the A/S3. The TTRS disc is the same but has the correct (or more appropriate) offset for our cars so that's the one you want.

@S3Alex does that rear setup retain OEM hand brake?

I think that up to a point the rears will cope well with a change of pads as S has said above.

I used a set of ZeroSixty discs with Mintex 1155pads and found that worked well up to a point but the rear was still going light under heavy braking and moving around a bit.

The last swap was for a set of Forge's 4 pot calipers for the rear with EBC red stuff pads.
The kit is almost certainly a K-Sport one branded for Forge but it's an improvement for the rear,and is a bolt-on addition.

I used an AP kit for the fronts.

When you look at the rear caliper it's easy to see why it's a bit weak.

A8C4EE71-FAC6-4F82-BF86-6B5067344AF7_zpspz7aiw7w.jpg

The Forge kit is better....

B4050A86-7EA5-488E-B51F-561E063BAC02_zpso0ipfhdk.jpg
Alex what's the space like with the Team Ds on??

Also this may seem stupid Q but it's the TA Callipers I need correct?

For the tears I was toying with tactic rear s3 discs and a set off ferodo pads??

What is a SPD?

RS3 discs are the wrong offset for the A/S3. The TTRS disc is the same but has the correct (or more appropriate) offset for our cars so that's the one you want.

@S3Alex does that rear setup retain OEM hand brake?

SPD is Short Period Disqualification...I haven't had licence revoked or lost just banned me for X amount of time because couldn't prove I was actually speeding and was my word against his

If anyone has a set of S3 rear calipers and carriers and wants to sell them can you message me please :)

Alex what's the space like with the Team Ds on??

Also this may seem stupid Q but it's the TA Callipers I need correct?

For the tears I was toying with tactic rear s3 discs and a set off ferodo pads??

Loads of space.

TD 1.2 rims are designed for use with big brakes.
This isn't the best pic but it shows the clearance.

Both the front and rear discs and pads needed replacing on my S3 so I took the opportunity to upgrade to the TTRS BBK as the standard brakes didn't fill me with confidence at times. It was the best thing I did as its a big improvement.

I used the following parts:

Front
TTRS\RS3 Calipers
TTRS Discs
EBC Redstuff Pads
HEL Braided brake lines

Back
Standard S3 Discs
Ferodo DS2500 Pads
HEL Braided brake lines

And Motul RBF 660 Brake fluid

It copes with my occasional fast road use and its reassuring the stopping power is there when needed.

Spacer wise, with the standard Pre Facelift alloys and 12mm spacers, the clearance was to close for comfort for me so I went for 15mm.

Also the TTRS discs are prone to warping so anything more than fast road use you may want to look at different discs.

SPD is Short Period Disqualification...I haven't had licence revoked or lost just banned me for X amount of time because couldn't prove I was actually speeding and was my word against his

Sorry to hijack the thread but does that mean even if the copper can't prove you were speeding you can still be banned?