TTE480 Upgrade Performance Turbocharger VAG 2.0 TFSI (S3 8P, TTS, ED30, so on)

TTE Si

Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
TTE480 Upgrade Performance Turbocharger VAG 2.0 TFSI (S3 8P, TTS, Golf 6 R, ED30, so on)

Welcome to our Ultimate OEM+ Plug & Play Upgrade turbocharger for the 2.0 TFSI range of vehicles. Ultra-Fast response with big turbo power giving the huge area of power under the curve. A true Stage 3 hybrid.

TTE480 begins life as a brand new standard BorgWarner K04-064 turbocharger that we dismantle and then set about upgrading and optimising as engineers to create our ultimate K04 frame hybrid. TTE480 Turbocharger is in our opinion the final step and our pinnacle power stage for the 2.0 TFSI range of vehicles while retaining the OE K04 unit for Plug & Play fitment.

Engineered & Enhanced

The recipe to making a TTE480 starts with a much larger TTE billet compressor wheel, chosen because is highly efficient, new generation type with very thin blades, creating an extremely high flow for comparative size, giving a compressor map that's very wide. The Re-Profiled compressor cover is machined to an optimised tolerance to ensure maximum compressor efficiency is given. Also, the intake pipe is CNC ported to give a smooth transition for the incoming airflow. We fit our TTE CNC K04 silencer delete, we modify the turbo discharge silencer, removing the baffle internals and fitting a new straight through section, removing any restriction and its function as a noise cancelling device, and so improving the flow, giving less surge and enhancing the sound.

A key part of driving the large billet TTE compressor and in turn making this unit produce the huge power advantage overstock and also our 420 upgrade hybrid, is machining and fitting a far larger TTE 9 blade High-Flow turbine and shaft, while still keeping the k04 core, this is not so easy to do. This turbine gives much lower back pressure and keeps EGT lower compared to stock K04 turbine or TTE420 K16 clipped wheel.

With this TTE stage we have CNC ported the exhaust manifold as standard at the head flange to match and smooth the transition from head to exhaust runner for maximum gas speed and so improving efficiency to the much bigger monster turbine and so driving the compressor harder.

Special TTE developed in-house high-performance motorsport journal bearing system is fitted. Durable at high loads with no loss in transient response.

The actuator used is uprated sprung OE unit, fitted with our reinforced clamps for trouble-free operation.

Equilibrium

Precisely balancing our turbochargers is a key critical factor to become a TTE upgrade unit as longevity and performance are paramount. Good balance improves acoustics also. Subsequent great care is taken with all TTE turbochargers to achieving our balance standards. Firstly parts are balanced at slow speeds up to 2800RPM in multiple planes using our single parts machine, then components are assembled and then the CHRA is dynamically balanced, but this time depending on application at up to 250,000 RPM in multiple planes using our in-house VSR machine to acquire the ultimate equilibrium, to a standard far higher than OEM. Each turbocharger is supplied with serial numbered balance test result document.

Key Points:

• Genuine BorgWarner Housings & Components
  • TTE Billet Highly Efficient Next Gen Compressor Geometry
  • Optimised Compressor Cover Machining Clearances
  • CNC Port Matched Exhaust Runners (The original VAG Manifold gasket needs enlarging to match the ports on the turbo)
  • CNC Optimised modified silencer discharge delete
  • CNC Ported Intake Pipe
  • TTE 9 Blade High-flow Turbine
  • Genuine BorgWarner Uprated & Reinforced Actuator
  • Genuine OEM Pierburg N75 Valve
  • Special TTE Reinforced Bearing System
  • Fitment As Original. Plug & Play
  • Dynamically Balanced
  • 480PS Proven
  • Designed, Machined & Built by TTE in Germany

Pricing : https://tteglobal.com/audi/a1-quatt...480-tfsi-upgrade-turbocharger?number=TTE10016

Reconditioning price shown is based on overhauling and reconditioning, upgrading an undamaged used turbocharger within specification. Only once cleaned and dismantled, inspected then a firm price can be made.

Top Tip : The original VAG Manifold gasket needs enlarging to match the ports on the turbo.

R-TECH SOFTWARE
1.95 - 1.65 BAR
463PS 584Nm
99 SHELL Fuel (No WMI)

Reactions: HHS3, CrypticS3, Pedrosousa and 3 others
Sounds awesome. Now I just need to earn more money & I'm buying one of these. :D

This is so awesome!!

I love that you guys are still developing parts for these engines and not solely focused on the newer tech. Couple of questions though...

What supporting mods do you recommend to achieve above 450hp? I was just about to purchase the TTE420 but wanted a little more to potentially push into the 10s with my Golf R. The only other bolt on option out there for us in AUS is the APR Stage 3 but the prices are insane.

Also, can this be installed from the top without removing the engine like the 420? I want to try a little DIY.

THANKS!

Reactions: TTE Si
This is so awesome!!

I love that you guys are still developing parts for these engines and not solely focused on the newer tech. Couple of questions though...

What supporting mods do you recommend to achieve above 450hp? I was just about to purchase the TTE420 but wanted a little more to potentially push into the 10s with my Golf R. The only other bolt on option out there for us in AUS is the APR Stage 3 but the prices are insane.

Also, can this be installed from the top without removing the engine like the 420? I want to try a little DIY.

THANKS!

First off installs exactly same as stock K04 or TTE420 So yes.

For 450HP id say same hardware as a TTE420 with LPFP upgrade and 155/165 BAR Fuel pressure valve.(many have on TTE420 set ups anyway)

For over 450HP bigger injectors recommended. RS4 4.2, RS4 V6 NEW, RS3 8V

Hello I am interested in this turbo tte 480 for my car audi tts 2011 dsg currently have installed tte 420 with less than 500 km of use and software of apr tte 420 virtually new I want to change by this turbo tte 480 I pay now by paypal and I send my to you my tte 420
you give me address paypal and time estimate of delivery it need urgent by please many thanks! I live in Spain cp: 30700
City: torre pacheco
Province: murcia
address: c / luis García berlanga n 27 my paypal account ivanxdd@hotmail.com
urgent please!

i have 1 question is this compatible with my software tte420 APR ??
is possible ?
do better?
o change software?
please answer me as soon possible!
IMG 0411

my question..
I get better results with this turbo and this software tte 420 APR
in the case of being compatible?

I think you need bigger injectors, lpfp and have it mapped again for more fuel to get more power, my assumption is keepin the current Apr software won't change the power much. I may be wrong tho someone will be along shortly to correct me if I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ivanxdd
BUT USING THE SOFTWARE APR TT 420

NOT GET BETTER RESULT ... ? MUCH GET MORE AIR THANK TTE 420 ...
OR MAY LOSE POWER

I use the software only tte420 apr
you use tte420 or tte480 turbo?
Knowing this I want the one that gives better results ... with this software even being minimal

I will not recommend APR TTE420 software used as turbo is different. I would say you can test with experienced tuner and log car to find out if ok ! It maybe is safe but not optimum for best results. Really needs testing to say.

Cost to recondition and upgrade a TTE420 to TTE480 Price is here

yes ,
but it will be better tte480 ,
than tte 420 .....
give some slightly better result for this software ?

I'm going crazy... :astonished: ok buddy , I buy it and upload experiment logs;) thanks!:laughing:

whats mods changing ,upgrade for turbo tte420 vs tte 480 turbo?

Can I instal this turbo on on golf gti mk5 axx engine and run it with stock internals
All I know is need fuleing system, intak, exhaust etc ...
Just need to know if my engine can handle that turbo please guys give us some advice
Thanks in advance

Reactions: TTE Si
Can I instal this turbo on on golf gti mk5 axx engine and run it with stock internals
All I know is need fuleing system, intak, exhaust etc ...
Just need to know if my engine can handle that turbo please guys give us some advice
Thanks in advance

Its all about how its tuned. Give R-Tech a call

I'd have said not - you may aswell run the normal K04-064 as that will provide enough torque and power and will probably be torque and power limited on your engine as you have the same engine as I had

POLO WRC

TTE480 Result using MTR Performance Software

463PS 635NM EWG

34 deg in the dyno room when power run performed and no wmi install on his car.

Last edited:
These TTE turbos should not have a problem reaching these numbers on a tsi motor.

My A3 Quattro 2.0TSI with K04-064 is making just over 300 awhp at 20 psi.

Last edited:
Reactions: A3SBQ and TTE Si
Big difference between 300 and 480 though!
The 300 is All Wheel horsepower not crank; the tte480 designation I believe, is based on the turbos ability to output that figure from the specs it was made to. There's also a considerable difference between the output from a fsi vs a tsi.

dxw86x8d6mfal1ges3lc0xpoml0ncrhl.jpg

Reactions: A3SBQ and TTE Si
Big difference between 300 and 480 though!

Remember the 480 rating is PS. Quite a few Guys have made 440+ and upto 460ps+ on the TTE420. So if you look at those your see it's not so much too ask for 20/30/40ps more from this evolution.

George did you finish your hybrid build ? How did you do, as recall you speaking about a 460hp compressor and predicting a easy 430hp result.

Remember the 480 rating is PS. Quite a few Guys have made 440+ and upto 460ps+ on the TTE420. So if you look at those your see it's not so much too ask for 20/30/40ps more from this evolution.

George did you finish your hybrid build ? How did you do, as recall you speaking about a 460hp compressor and predicting a easy 430hp result.
It's just every dyno result I've seen I've of the TTE480 has fallen short of the target, hence the question. Although I appreciate I haven't seen every single one!

The first revision made 420bhp at 1.9 bar, but settled at 410bhp 1.6 bar for now. Spool is lightning quick, so going to try more of a clip on the turbine to sacrifice a bit of spool for the sake of top end flow, so should hit the 430bhp target hopefully. Might even get a bit more if EGT's are acceptable (going to fit an EGT probe to the manifold to do some logging).

It's just every dyno result I've seen I've of the TTE480 has fallen short of the target, hence the question. Although I appreciate I haven't seen every single one!

The first revision made 420bhp at 1.9 bar, but settled at 410bhp 1.6 bar for now. Spool is lightning quick, so going to try more of a clip on the turbine to sacrifice a bit of spool for the sake of top end flow, so should hit the 430bhp target hopefully. Might even get a bit more if EGT's are acceptable (going to fit an EGT probe to the manifold to do some logging).

Only been two shared results of the TTE480 so far. So you have seen all.

Yeah I did read your post and look at your graph last night when i was in the local pub(409 HP/402FT) I did read Niki saying yours wasn't safe at 1.9+ / 2.0 bar due to EMP. So yeah the clipp idea will help a bit. But yeah looks like your car is doing good and sure your get it better with tweaks.

Only been two shared results of the TTE480 so far. So you have seen all.

Yeah I did read your post and look at your graph last night when i was in the local pub(409 HP/402FT) I did read Niki saying yours wasn't safe at 1.9+ / 2.0 bar due to EMP. So yeah the clipp idea will help a bit. But yeah looks like your car is doing good and sure your get it better with tweaks.
Hopefully an easy 420bhp which will make an affordable solution to the TTE420. Always good to have a healthy bit of competition...the scene is plenty big enough for more than one big player :)

Sucks that we don't get 102 fuel on tap over here, that seems to be the real key to getting the proper numbers!

Hopefully an easy 420bhp which will make an affordable solution to the TTE420. Always good to have a healthy bit of competition...the scene is plenty big enough for more than one big player :)

Sucks that we don't get 102 fuel on tap over here, that seems to be the real key to getting the proper numbers!

Well you don't have the 420 solution as yet and lets face it TTE420 is available and proven reliable for years at over 420Hp on 98 fuel. Its easier to follow.. Harder and more costly to lead.:yes:

Reactions: Chris90 and Ben2487
The next revision will almost certainly be 420+, and I believe another more powerful version on the cards (although I'm not forged, so probably won't be involved in development on that one).

Like I say, plenty of room in the market for the competition. If people can afford the top dog TTE with genuine parts, they will pay the money. If they want a unit that makes similar power, but at a reduced price, BBT is the answer.

No need for mud slinging or bitchiness. It's about giving people options, which can only be a good thing.

Maybe the anwser for some if and when its available sure.
I hear the Money thing mentioned all the time, but people do need look at as you say, TTE use many Genuine parts, these are much more expensive and really I feel better quality on the whole. People also need look at the extra CNC processes that others forget, this helps make turbos cheaper.
Examples: Porting the intake pipe and other things like the Silencer delete that TTE include or even the CNC porting on the exhaust manifold on TTE480. Or even I see others offering upgrades on used turbo's but the reconditioning work is nothing like a TTE standard.. They forget to shot blast the housings or parts (duel process) as again cheaper less labor hours and no cleaning needed after blasting..Really those processes and parts do add up or all other many turbo makers would do.

I get on with Clive the new owner of BBT and he,s in our TTE owners group. We do chat privately and did before he owned BBT. So no mud slinging from me but if guys want to compare and ask like you are, I will speak with facts.

Reactions: Chris90
Dyno figures are one thing VBOX data is another. Just shared by the owner of the POLO TTE480 100-200KM/H 6.2Sec !!!

Ohh and update on his Dyno figure of 463PS. It was 34 deg in the dyno room when power run performed and no wmi install on his car and Tuner MTR says believes is over 480ps on the road.

Reactions: grainqey
This weeks batch of 480's going out the door

Reactions: Chris90 and Ben2487
Have you had any contact with APR about developing a tune for the 480 as they did for the 420? I know it might not be in their best interest as it will create competition for their own kit, but it would be a move to continue driving development with this platform.

Have you had any contact with APR about developing a tune for the 480 as they did for the 420? I know it might not be in their best interest as it will create competition for their own kit, but it would be a move to continue driving development with this platform.

I've not asked no, but I didn't on the TTE420 either. I'm happy if APR will support I think be good for all.
Best you ask them or ask your local dealer to contact, as more support maybe will make consider. Sure it maybe competes on some levels but it's not going away and maybe more positive to support and offer another solution for existing APR customers wanting something new to there great hardware offerings.