TT225 vs S3 225

Trig0r

Pretend Hairdresser
Reaction score
Website
www.cavalier-turbo.com
One of the main things thats putting me off of an S3 is not actually the S3 itself, its the fact that the missus has a TT225, and I'm not that taken on it.
The brakes are crap
Visibility is crap
The engine doesnt feel punchy
The handling at speed feels a bit wishy washy

Now brakes, I can deal with, replace disks/pads/fluid/hoses, or go bigger.
Visibility, well the S3 is a different shape so thats not really an issue.
Having spoken to a mate who had an S3 he said it had punch, the birds TT doesnt it also seems to run out of puff over 110 sort of speed, maybe a boost leak or something else?!
The TT is on 18's, I'll be running 17's most likely.

Are there any other TT/S3 differences, perhaps someone else here has gone from the TT to the S3..?

The book specs show the S3 weighs a little bit less which will help. Maybe there is a small boost leak on the TT or a bad MAF. I have no problem with visibility with my S3, it's easy to park I feel. Brakes aren't brill but I have no issues.

What else would a bad MAF show, I've noticed if you accelerate lightly and then take your foot off the pedal a bit it stutters a bit..

The general plan is wait until the bird gets her company car, then the TT will be mine, I'll drive it for a bit and find myself a nice S3, I might not like the TT but given I've driving round in a 318 at the minute it couldnt be much worse lol

What are your alternatives? Tbh i was really dissapointed with the power and brakes also.
They are very well built and smooth. Which is good but doesnt help with sensation at all.also 4-500 quid spent will really change the car. Remap and 3 inch tip from bill and its a different car entirely.

I ummed and ahhh'd about alternatives for a while.
I'm coming from a modded Cav turbo, so while I'm not expecting a stock S3 to be as quick there are certain things I want.

Leather
Poke
4x4

My cav with a knackered turbo was leaving the birds TT standing at speed, but with it being from the 90's there was a lot less weight so the lack of power wasn't an issue, but with it being a glorified rep mobile the handling wasn't brilliant lol.
I did look at stuff like the Octavia VRS, S4, few fwd Saab turbo's etc, but given she's getting a soft roader like an évoque or similar then I don't need something as big so another tick for the S3... I was even looking at S8's at one point, in budget but I really have no need for a fat lazy v8 that won't get over 20mpg the way I drive...

Last edited:
As Daz has said- definitely needs a TIP and remap tbh to feel any sort of decent power from the 1.8t

The budget/plan so far is absolute max £6k, should give me enough to get a car and give it a bit of a once over.
I'll buy the car, and unless its got proper paperwork to say that the work has been done I'll be looking at cambelt, haldex service, brake disks, pads, fluids, the common sensor checks/deletes 75/249(?) and make sure its all spot on before I then look at bits like remaps, wheel/tyre changes, brake upgrades and a few minor touches to get it to how I want it..

Given how well regarded Bill is and the fact he's here and active on the forums he would be my first choice, I'm in the LE12 area though so its a bit of a trek to his place, will have to decide what and where things get done...

6k and you'll be able to buy one and have enough to play with to get some decent power out of it. As other have said, a decent tip and a remap will turn it to a completely car

Spec wise, someone's already mentioned rods, but other than that, and the fact I don't want a red one, yes, that'd be a good start point...

It was mapped at B5s....I'm pretty sure if Bill didn't feel it was safe to run at that power he wouldn't have mapped it to that level. Anyway it's torque that kills rods and I have just about exactly the same torque on mine and been running for nearly 2 years with that figure if not more :)

Well the head change is only really required to get the figures, power and flow- most people change post 300bhp+ when chasing numbers when ringing out the turbo.

I expect Simon is saying it's a small head to let people know there is room for improvement on the power front and yep you are correct that all S3s came with the small ported heads.

In all honesty if I was going for another S3 that would be near the top of my list to replace my noggy as it has been very well looked after and all the correct supporting mods applied IMO.

Oh indeed, not knocking the car at all, it's red though, and I'm in no rush, bird doesn't get her car until July so unless he still has it by that point and the price has dropped enough for me to ignore the colour.... Lol

Haha- yeah I would never have thought I'd like a red S3 8L tbh....but after seeing a few up close in person I have changed my opinion.

There are some good ones that come up on here tbh with various colours; so I'd keep an eye out as the majority are owned by enthusiasts who maintain them regularly :s3addict:

I never wanted a red car, but after seeing mine in person, there's maybe only 2 other colours I'd have an S3 in.

Reactions: sportquattro