Trim removal for fuel filler flap solenoid replacement

Wibbly

Reaction score
So the "Audi way" of replacing the solenoid is from the inside. (Seems there's an alternative to pull out the fuel filler surround from the outside but this risks breaking it)

Not obvious to me how the internal trim in this area should be removed (without breaking it). Anyone got/seen a guide/done it can can share how?

From this view it looks like it does come out from the front, it also says the tank flap must be renewed after removal. It costs about £17 inc vat

Flap 1

Last edited:
Some more info

Attachments

• flap 2.JPG
    flap 2.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 1,245
  • flap 3.JPG
    flap 3.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,141
Thanks - so that suggests that on an A3, you have to remove and and then replace the flap unit from the outside and remove the bolts holding the actuator in place, from the inside, right? Or do those bolts attach the actuator motor to the flap?

- Can anyone who's done one confirm?
- And how do I get the trim out on the inside (if necessary)?

I’ve had the full boot trim out before. Wish I’d looked back then as mines been broken for around 19 month. It doesn’t stop me opening it. Just means I have to press the fuel cap and press unlock again and it pops open so not as bad as it could be

If it is possible to change from inside I’d be willing to spend the 20 or so changing it

I’ve had the full boot trim out before. Wish I’d looked back then as mines been broken for around 19 month. It doesn’t stop me opening it. Just means I have to press the fuel cap and press unlock again and it pops open so not as bad as it could be

If it is possible to change from inside I’d be willing to spend the 20 or so changing it

A squirt of wd40 might help your cause.

A squirt of wd40 might help your cause.

Tried WD40 - hasn't helped. Actually I now think the motor/solenoid doesn't actually 'try' until I do what @Toonsoldier91 does. But difficult to tell if it's getting truly stuck. So perhaps a part electrical failure in the solenoid?

I’ve seen this get replaced on an a6 and if I remember right it was just yank the whole thing out. The solenoid is screwed on behind the plastic.
Key thing if you are doing it yourself it make sure you connect the drainage pipe. On my a6 I’ve had it back from dealer and the pipe was caught/twisted somewhere so water didn’t flow down the hole. Only noticed when I filling adblue that the spillages wasn’t running down the hole.

Edit: this might help

Trim detail

Attachments

• flap 4.JPG
    flap 4.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 1,262
In the area of the offside near the fuel filler, how do/did you relieve the trim of its attachment to the body?

Can you upload the part you mean ?
If it’s the part your on about in the photo above you have to remove the plastic trim at the boot enterance. Then remove the plastic cover on the hooks and there’s a bolt behind. I think there’s also a bolt near the top next to the rear seats, Then it just pulls off. Then behind there I had some more material but didn’t take that off so I’m not sure if you can get to it or not.

If you decide to have a look let me know please and I’ll do it that way as I don’t wanna yank things off and cause possible damage to paint work