Trim Buzzes/rattles...

PembsA3

Reaction score
6 months and 3k miles into ownership, my SB S line 184 quattro has some really annoying trim buzzes/rattles - at least three different ones I think... It's really quite disappointing in a near 35k premium car. I don't agree the 8V is better quality than the 8P - my 8P felt more solid generally, and this example has more trim noise than my 10 yr old Golf IV!! Good job I ordered it with B&O so I can drown it out!

I agree comparing the 8v with the 8P. My 10yr old a3 I sold last year was rattle free. Had quite a few with the new car but finding my life far too busy to get to the bottom of it.

Might be worth a try but I had some rattles coming from the dash on my 2013 A4, I electrical taped down all the drivers side fuse bits, edges, clip and stuck a piece of foam there, rattling stopped so might be there.

If it's new, take it back to the dealer. They will sort out squeaks and rattles.

No point having a dog and barking yourself!

Reactions: Relliott6879
Thanks veeeight but I'm not letting the dealer near it. They'll dismantle the dash and probably create a whole new set of noises... Same happened with a new MX5 I had a few years ago. Mechanic monkey damaged most of the trim pieces with the screwdriver he used to take dash apart and it was never the same. I'm just keeping the B&O turned up...

Just going on my experience with my Audi dealer. Took in my 8P for a squeaky centre console and dash rattle, and they cured every last squeak. No damage to the car either.

I guess it's pot luck with dealers, when you find a good service area you stick with it!

I agree - if you find a good one you do stick with them. Unfortunately I've already had a very bad experience with my dealer delivering my 8P damaged so I don't trust them at all...

My neighbour a few years back had a dashboard creak and rattle on his 07 plate A4 and it went in three times to be fixed.

The third time they did cure it. It then broke down one day after having smoke coming out of the dashboard!

He was on holiday in Norfolk when it went wrong so was recovered to some dealer there. The next morning he was shocked when the recovering dealership rang to say that the cause of the smoke was due to masses of expanding foam that had been sprayed behind the dashboard unit ! Somehow this caused something to overheat . Explained how they solved the rattle! :unsure:

Sticks in my mind that story - especially as it was an Audi!