Tried my First Launch control today

Chris S 1245

Reaction score
First launch control in the S4 today and it’s mindblowing how fast it accelerates huge difference in acceleration compared to just flooring it in S. Really pushes you back in your seat and is very addictive . So much so I Launch controlled it 3 times today :).

Reactions: Keef, Daggerit, V6_Man and 1 other person
Congrats still haven’t tried this yet.. I know I should probably read the manual, but what is the procedure for launch ?

If it's the same as my 1.4TFSI - Dynamic Mode, Sport Box, disable TCS (hold for 5 secs). Left foot hard on the brake, right foot on the accelerator. Should hold revs @ 3-4k, release brake, off you go.

Reactions: zippster
You only need TC off eg single press.

TX.

Edit - rumour is that lanches are limited to 200 and it is disabled after that. Can be reset by vcds though.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

You only need TC off eg single press.

TX.

Edit - rumour is that lanches are limited to 200 and it is disabled after that. Can be reset by vcds though.

Yeah, in ‘sport’ TC mode. If you turn it off in the S4 it can spin up all four wheels and bounce off the limiter... Oops. Haha.

I don’t know about the 200 launches thing though, I doubt I’ll get near that anyway though to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple of the RS3 boys are at 200 already! I used to buzz the LC at the lights in the 3 as it sounded great and then just mooch off the lights slowly which doesn't count as a "launch" apparently.

TX.

Does anybody have an idea how you can tell if you've launched correctly? I've done this a couple of times following the proper procedure, but also (for a very brief second) I tried pressing the accelerator with a foot on the brake with TC set to normal and it does exactly the same thing - revs up to 3-4k and the turbo spools up.

I only tried this really quickly as I didn't want to damage anything - would this cause any more wear to the car than doing the same in 'proper' launch mode? If someone can shed any light on this, I might try launching with TC set to normal and then TC set to sport to compare the two. I'm currently sceptical as to what the difference is and have no idea if I've every done it properly.

I'm a bit curious as well. In my B8.5 with s-tronic you knew if it was working right because it disengaged the clutch and the car didn't try to move, but in the B9 S4 the thing squats and the transmission fights against the brakes regardless since it doesn't have the clutch to disengage...

In terms of the TC, I'd assume that it just allows a little more slip to let the car take off faster? Just a guess though as in the B8.5 you had to fully turn it off to get it to work if I remember rightly.

Imho it works well but not quite as good as RS3 that has dsg of course. In the 4 you can feel the car fighting it whilst in the 3 it would sit there all day with the revs buzzing away.

TX.

I am definitely trying this on my way home tonight!!!!! Wonder if these phone apps that do 0-60 times are in any way accurate?

The S4 doesn't have the same 'true' launch control as the stronic boxes as it is an automatic not a dsg. All documented here https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s4-launch-control.313834/ and here https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5...teresting-launch-control-observation-2894165/
So those with the dsg gearbox will experience a different effect to those cars fitted with the 8 speed zf automatic boxes..

Thanks for the links - one of those posts was actually mine, but what I want to know this time is if pressing the brake and flooring the accelerator at the same time when not in launch control mode would cause damage to the car? I don't understand the ZF8 enough to know.

The S4 doesn't have the same 'true' launch control as the stronic boxes as it is an automatic not a dsg. All documented here https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s4-launch-control.313834/ and here https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5...teresting-launch-control-observation-2894165/
So those with the dsg gearbox will experience a different effect to those cars fitted with the 8 speed zf automatic boxes..

I thought I'd kinda covered that with my last response but thanks for clarifying.

My point was also that if an s-tronic isn't engaging launch control properly then it behaves like the ZF during launch and feels like it fights against itself, but if it's doing it properly then it doesn't. Because the ZF always feels like it fights against itself when launching it therefore makes it hard to know if it's truly in it's 'launch mode', or not. Unless it does exactly the same thing when you put your foot on the brake and floor the throttle regardless of what mode it's in and there's not really any real launch mode at all?

Reactions: cuke2u
I have had 2 step LC on a couple of previous cars.
Mine is a Jan 18' built car (s4 zf auto) I'm not certain mine has the mock LC feature? After following the procedure, the car just strains against the brake rather than revving up?

I have had 2 step LC on a couple of previous cars.
Mine is a Jan 18' built car (s4 zf auto) I'm not certain mine has the mock LC feature? After following the procedure, the car just strains against the brake rather than revving up?

It'll do that... It's just because it doesn't have an actual clutch to disengage. If you watch RS6's they do the same thing and you just have to press the brake hard enough to keep it still until you want to take off.

Where do you guys try to launch control? I can't think of a good stretch of road straight and quiet enough (and not 30mph limit)

Where do you guys try to launch control? I can't think of a good stretch of road straight and quiet enough (and not 30mph limit)
At every set of lights if at the front. Perhaps just me though ;)

TX.

Reactions: KI6RAN, CHEZ and pierreluigi88
First launch control in the S4 today and it’s mindblowing how fast it accelerates huge difference in acceleration compared to just flooring it in S. Really pushes you back in your seat and is very addictive . So much so I Launch controlled it 3 times today :).

Hi everyone, . I’m new to these forums.
I’m sorry but i got to break it to you all, the B9 A4/S4 does NOT come with the Dual Clutch Transmission also known as the DSG Transmission. Reason being the DSG Box cant handle the high output of torque. So the crazy scientists at the Audi Factory created a transmission called, wait for it...Conventional Planetary Transmission (CPT not CVT), it’s basically a normal Automatic gearbox which has a high performance torque converter.
Sooo all those Launch Controls you’ve all be doing arent actually “Launch Controls” its called destroying your Audi’s TRANSMISSION so STOP!
The Audi’s fitted with S-Tronic Dual Clutch
(DSG Box’s) do have the LAUNCH CONTROL CAPABILITY.
Thank you for your time i hope i have been helpful to u all out there. If u need any advise with anything, dont hesitate to ask, we all have have Audi’s!!!! Xxxx ❤️

Oh i forgot to mention that the B9 RS4 has been snipped of its DSG gearbox and its novelty feature too

Good job bringing back a year old thread with no new information :icon thumright:

And add to that Audi does in fact have launch control listed as a feature in the B9 S/RS4 (in that it allows the car to build boost while the transmission is under load prior to releasing the brake) makes this most recent post pretty useless and wrong I'd say. The torque converter is simply a viscous coupling so it's not damaging anything any more than a hard acceleration from standstill would.

Reactions: SiPie, SMI77, Kondax and 1 other person
Blimey, next he'll be telling us Trump is the USA's president and Boris is running to be our next prime minister :shrug:
Even gets the manufacturer of the gearbox all wrong. Still 10/10 for effort...

Reactions: SiPie, SMI77, Daggerit and 1 other person
Just noticed that the user has 'pending deletion' under their name. Probably a reason for that...

Reactions: cuke2u and SMI77
Just noticed that the user has 'pending deletion' under their name. Probably a reason for that...
Yeah she replied with quite a fruity response to me which was deleted. I assume they're banning her.

Reactions: Daggerit
Blimey, next he'll be telling us Trump is the USA's president and Boris is running to be our next prime minister :shrug:
Even gets the manufacturer of the gearbox all wrong. Still 10/10 for effort...
So 10/10 for Boris then ;-)

The world has 3 trigger happy clowns now!!!

Trivia - talking of pilots/launches there is a gallery picture somewhere of the winning 'Ring 24hr R8 literally in mid-air, all 4 wheels.
That mid-morning dogfight between the Land & Phoenix R8's was ^&%*$(#) awesome!!

She might have been deleted but for those of us late to the party it is certainly an excellent heads up!

Hi all,

Since this post has been brought up again I may as well ask here...

Does my A4 B9 2.0 TFSI s-tronic 190 have LC? I've tried the procedure outlined above but all that happened was the car struggled against the brakes to about 1500rpm then gave up.

To be clear...

Engine was def at temp
Car was in S
ESC pressed once to put in sport
Left foot on brake
Right foot to floor (pedal button pressed)

Nothing!

I then tried the same but also put it in Dynamic.

Hi all,

Since this post has been brought up again I may as well ask here...

Does my A4 B9 2.0 TFSI s-tronic 190 have LC? I've tried the procedure outlined above but all that happened was the car struggled against the brakes to about 1500rpm then gave up.

To be clear...

Engine was def at temp
Car was in S
ESC pressed once to put in sport
Left foot on brake
Right foot to floor (pedal button pressed)

Nothing!

I then tried the same but also put it in Dynamic.

I have the same model, and I definitely have launch control. Traction control has to be off as well. I was in Dynamic, Sport, traction control off, brake and accelerator in... foot off brake, and off I went

I have the same model, and I definitely have launch control. Traction control has to be off as well. I was in Dynamic, Sport, traction control off, brake and accelerator in... foot off brake, and off I went

Thanks for your reply.

Do you mean ESC in sport (single button press) or ESC off (press + hold)?

Did you find the revs go up to 3-4k?

Any feeling of the car pulling against the brakes?

Yeah she replied with quite a fruity response to me which was deleted. I assume they're banning her.

Ooohh, a potty mouthed lady. Did anyone get her number before she left?

Reactions: Kondax
Update: I can confirm this doesn't work on my car. Tried again today, once with ESC in sport (single press) and once with ESC off (press & hold).

I even tried the car in Dynamic, as well as not in Dynamic but just in 'S'.

Nothing.

Works on mine every time, esp fully off, car in dynamic, gearbox s, left foot brake, right foot throttle, revs climb to about 3/4k left foot off the brake and away you go

Reactions: Kondax
Works on mine every time, esp fully off, car in dynamic, gearbox s, left foot brake, right foot throttle, revs climb to about 3/4k left foot off the brake and away you go

Hmm how strange. I'm doing exactly the same and all I get is the revs rise to 1500rpm but the car is struggling against the brakes. Nothing like LC where the revs intentionally rise to 3-4k and hold there.