Transmission service on BiTDI

ibrica

Reaction score
Hello everyone, i have an a6 c7 bitdi 2012. with ZF8HP and 240000 kilometers and i was wondering if it is safe to change the tranny fluid and filter on such a high mileage since it has never been done?

Not that i have any problems with it, occasional rough shift from 3rd to 2nd, but i think its because of my driving style (a lot of city driving, on the faster side followed with stop and go traffic)

Thanks everyone

I had mine done at around 120k miles, made little or no difference, I only did it as a precautionary measure. It’s never bad to change the fluid to fresh stuff. Audi says it’s a sealed unit for life, ZF recommend ps it should be serviced.

I always thought it was strange to call it a sealed box when it has a filter & oil that would over time degrade, so naturally it should be able to be changed.

Thank you for your answer, i too want to do it as a precautionary measure because i plan on keeping this car for a long time. I read multiple posts online that it should not be done after 120k kilometers because it can do more harm than not changing it.

However no one seemed to mention the effects of servicing it on high mileages.

One more thing, did you guys ever do a transmission reset with the pedal combination (holding gas pedal for 15 secs while ignition is on) and does it even work on tiptronic?

ZF advised me not to do mine at 105k approx. They said that it was strange advise but they had wrecked gearboxes changing the oil late.

Something about the platelets in the oil then the gearbox relearning the gear changes after the oil change can cause more damage than good.

So I decided not to do mine and i`m on 160k now

Car on 93k miles, I decided to have the ZF8HP serviced. Mainly because I feel oil and filters are designed to be replaced. Also, after a bit of a drive, the car would stink of burnt "oil".
The garage charged me for 9l. of oil. I know the box takes 6 so I am guessing the remainder will have been used for flushing?
Adaptation done and now after 1k, I sometimes have no clue what gear I am in, mainly because the gear changes are so smooth above gear 4.