Transferring Music From iTunes To SD Card For Use With Standard MMI System

Zig

Reaction score
When transferring music files (AAC) from iTunes to a SD card for installation on a standard MMI system (i.e. non-technology pack) are there any steps that need to be taken to avoid potential issues (such as loss of artworks etc) or is it all straight forward?

Last edited:
I've not tried it with AAC files downloaded from iTunes but I see no reason why it shouldn't work. The AAC format is supported and the embedded artwork should show. I use an iPod myself but can try putting some files on an SD card if you want me to test it?

I am getting so worried about my new audi stereo it all sounds so complicated lol!

Thanks Vertigo1, I am trying to identify and resolve potential issues prior to the arrival of a new A3 Sportback which is on order, so if you prepared to put some AAC music files on a SD card and see how it works that would be appreciated.

I have had a look in iTunes on my computer and the breakdown of the file formats used is as follows:
367 albums worth AAC
1 album Protected AAC
1 album WAV
1 album MPEG Audio File​
So it would be easy enough to convert the 2 non AAC files to AAC format.

The vast majority of the albums have been ripped off CDs I own or are digitally recordings from LPs I also own.

I noticed that I do not have artworks for approximately 16% of the albums, so there is some work to do there.

There is also a few albums without track names but that is easy enough to fix.

Ruthus_1 hopefully the MMI system will be straight forward to operate despite the high level of functionality.

Well I've had a look and all the music I've downloaded from iTunes appears to be on my hard drive as M4A files rather than AAC - I actually don't have any AAC files at all!

If you want to send me a test AAC file or let me know where I can download one then I'm still happy to try it.

Ruthus_1 hopefully the MMI system will be straight forward to operate despite the high level of functionality.

lets hope! like really straight forward just plug my iphone in and away i go hopefully!

Vertigo1 .m4a is the file extension associated with AAC.

I found that if the compilation box is ticked, the artwork disappears when transferring music files to an SD card.

On iTunes the file structure is a folder per artist and then a folder per album which contains all the tracks for that album.

So in transferring music files from iTunes to a SD card, for installation on a standard MMI system (i.e. non-technology pack), is it just a matter of copying the iTunes file structure (and the files contained in this structure) to a SD card and in doing so you will then get all albums and associated art work appearing on the display in the centre of the dash?

The file and folder structure should be irrelevant. Whilst the RNS-E in the previous A3 only let you browse the file and folder structure on the SD card, the new MMI system scans the card contents and compiles the tags so it lets you then browse by Album/Artist/Genre/etc, just as you would with an iPod.

On iTunes the file structure is a folder per artist and then a folder per album which contains all the tracks for that album.

So in transferring music files from iTunes to a SD card, for installation on a standard MMI system (i.e. non-technology pack), is it just a matter of copying the iTunes file structure (and the files contained in this structure) to a SD card and in doing so you will then get all albums and associated art work appearing on the display in the centre of the dash?

Yes this will work, just Copy/Paste or drag the entire folder structure as it appears in your iTunes folder on your Mac or PC onto the SD Card. The MMI will read them in exactly the same way. Artist, which you click into, will then display all the albums contained by that artist. Clicking into an album will then display all the tracks. One problem you will encounter is if you have a DJ mixed album it will place a slight pause between each track as it plays through them from SD Card.
To get you album artwork to appear you will need to go through all your albums in iTunes and find new artwork for each one that is 300x300 pixels, you can do this easily by doing a Google search for that album's Pic. Once you got the correct size you will then need to embed the artwork into the corresponding album by highlighting it in iTunes, Right Clicking and selecting Get Info, then Copy/Paste or drag the new artwork into the space on the Album Info window.
Once you've done this for all your albums, Copy/Paste or drag the folder structure to your SD Card and all should work perfectly.

Last edited:
Vertico1 & XXXCorp - Good to hear that it is just a case of copying file structure as it is to a SD card.

XXXCorp - I assume you meant pixels rather than dpi. However, I seem to think I read that 500 x 500 pixel artwork could be used, but perhaps that was for the larger display.

I've copy the 'Music' folder from my iTunes to an SD card and it works great with my standard MMI.

It basically mirrors the folder structure used by iTunes so you can browse by Artist then Album then Songs.

Artwork will only show if it's resolution is less than 500x500

If you use a mac this script is really good for resizing artwork - Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes ♫ Re-Apply Downsized Artwork v2.2

Stevey_cam - Am I correct in assuming that you meant "Artwork will only show if size is 500x500 or less"

I've copy the 'Music' folder from my iTunes to an SD card and it works great with my standard MMI.

It basically mirrors the folder structure used by iTunes so you can browse by Artist then Album then Songs.

Artwork will only show if it's resolution is less than 500x500

If you use a mac this script is really good for resizing artwork - Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes ♫ Re-Apply Downsized Artwork v2.2

Is there a size limit to the card you can use in the new A3 standard MMI? Ive an 8gb with about 7gb of music on it, dont have the car just yet :(

Not really, the brochure states up to 2Tb support on SD card. I'm using a 64Gb SD card with no issues at all.

Reactions: First Ever Audi
Certainly have. It allows you to adjust the brightness for the white LEDs in the footwells, front lights (in the cup holders and door handles), and rear seat lights (door handles). If you have the B&O speakers it also adjusts the brightness of the LED strips on these. It looks excellent and I wouldn't spec an A3 without it!

Yes, although the lights are set in groups:

Front: Adjusts cup holders, door handles and the B&O speakers if fitted.
Rear: Adjusts the door handles
Footwell: Adjusts the footwell lights all round.

So you can change the intensity of each of the groups, but not individual components.

Once you got the correct size you will then need to embed the artwork into the corresponding album by highlighting it in iTunes, Right Clicking and selecting Get Info, then Copy/Paste or drag the new artwork into the space on the Album Info window.
I think the reason for this step is that iTunes normally stores the artwork in a separate bit of its database with one copy per album. By copying the artwork into each individual track's Info it forces iTunes to copy that image into every .mp3 or .m4a file in the album. Then, when you copy those files onto an SD card, you're copying the artwork too. I could be wrong about that though! It's just what I've done whilst I'm waiting for my A3 to turn up!

My S3 is a 2012 and I have downloaded all my music files off itunes on my computer onto an SD card in MPEG4 format, however the cars unit does not read them at all. Any suggestions?

Mp3 or AAC up to 320kbps is definitely supported. I have the latter format on a 128Gb SD card, it runs without problems and the sound is gorgeous.

Mp3 or AAC up to 320kbps is definitely supported. I have the latter format on a 128Gb SD card, it runs without problems and the sound is gorgeous.

Sounds like the problem lies elsewhere, but my computer opens the music files on the SD card without a problem !

yes, but your PC is not as picky. Consult the manual, as I remember, it explicitly mentions .MP3 and .AAC

My S3 is a 2012 and I have downloaded all my music files off itunes on my computer onto an SD card in MPEG4 format, however the cars unit does not read them at all. Any suggestions?

Is this something to do with write protection? On my A5 it wouldn't pay a lot of Itunes purchases on the SD card as they are locked to itunes (i.e. you can't use them anywhere else, to stop piracy)

Copy protected itunes songs can be uploaded to itunes match, deleted (remember backup) and re-downloaded in a DRM-free version.