1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Traffic Sign Recognition Coded!

Happy Grumpz Dec 6, 2017

1. Happy Grumpz

Happy Grumpz Well-Known Member Team Glacier Silver Supporter saloon TDi Audi A4 quattro S-line owners group S tronic

For those that don't/haven't read the VCDS thread.

I now have traffic sign recognition coded :grinning: This was the only thing missing on my car that I really wanted and was hopeful it would be possible to code it.

After going round and round in circles looking at just about every post on the internet it seems to be a bit of a problem and there doesn't appear to be any coding that's 100% confirmed as working.

So I bought one of these...

https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/d...nostic-interface-traffic-sign-recognition-mlb

Yes it's expensive at £160 for a 1 trick pony but for me the cost was worth it.

It arrived today and took 5 (scary) minutes to do...

[​IMG]24993054_1568763759873755_689244887_o by Matt Smith, on Flickr

[​IMG]24826044_1568763719873759_705758194_o by Matt Smith, on Flickr

Display in the HUD...

[​IMG]24882894_1568763903207074_246612247_o by Matt Smith, on Flickr

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Nickfrog

Nickfrog Active Member

Brilliant ! Result.

Happy Grumpz likes this.
  4. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

Still only work if you've the VC though...

5. Happy Grumpz

Happy Grumpz Well-Known Member Team Glacier Silver Supporter saloon TDi Audi A4 quattro S-line owners group S tronic

I've no idea. I gave the company my VIN and asked if it would work, the answer was yes so I purchased one.

6. Inked

Inked Active Member Team Daytona Team V6 TDi Audi A4 quattro S-line owners group

So is it a single use device or can you move it on to a new owner / use it to activate TSR someone else’s car?

7. cuke2u

You have the vc, speaks for itself really...

8. Happy Grumpz

According to others it’s now locked to my car.

Inked likes this.
  9. Happy Grumpz

According to other posts, it’s also compatible with a non VC dash, I can’t confirm this is the case though.

10. cuke2u

Thats not what I have heard, you can have it on the main mmi screen but that is linked to the sat nav and not the camera reading the signs...

11. bluebarchetta

bluebarchetta Member

I did my non-VC version last night and I’ve tried it breifly this morning.

Speed limits from the signs are displayed in the DIS. The MMI still shows the speedlimits from the mapping data.

The only odd thing I have noticed is it has picked up a couple of non existent 20 zones.

Hopefully I’ll get the chance to properly try it at the weekend.

Happy Grumpz likes this.
  12. Avatar

13. cuke2u

Does both agree with each other. Good if it works though and I will stand corrected if it does...

14. bluebarchetta

bluebarchetta Member

No the MMI remains based on the mapping data; the DIS is based on the camera.

I’m not sure if this is how it works on the factory coded cars but I like having both. I can interpret based on my understanding of the road.

15. Happy Grumpz

@bluebarchetta the DIS will show the speed from the mapping data until it sees a speed sign at which point it changes to that.

16. Happy Grumpz

Non VC...

17. Happy Grumpz

I’ve just done a 650 round trip to Aviemore and the traffic sign recognition on the HUD was fantastic.

It did occasionally get it wrong though by picking up and displaying the maximum speed limits for large wagons.

18. SPEEDBIRD3000

SPEEDBIRD3000 Member

Hi Happy Grumpz,

Is the Kufatec tool all that is needed to activate the TSR? I have the VC and tech pack like your good-self. Is it a straightforward process & are the instructions clear? Many thanks.

19. Happy Grumpz

Yes, the dongle does absolutely everything.

Just so you know, you don’t get any instructions with it.

The process is nice and simple though (this is what I did)

1. Turn on the ignition but don’t start the car.
    2. Turn off start/stop
    3. Turn off the MMI
    4. Turn off the heating/AC
    5. Wait a minute after all of that then plug in the dongle

You’ll see flashing red and green lights, you’ll get error messages on you VC then after a few minutes the green LED on the dongle will stay on with no red.

6. Turn the car off.
    7. Unplug the dongle

That’s it.

If you order it from my link they’ll ask for your vin to make sure it’s 100% compatible with your car.

Mine took about 10 days to arrive.

Inked likes this.
  20. SPEEDBIRD3000

SPEEDBIRD3000 Member

My dongle arrived today and I have successfully activated the Traffic Sign Recogniton. It is effortless and well worth the money.

Happy Grumpz likes this.
  21. Happy Grumpz

Indeed, it’s pretty simple and 100% worth the money :sunglasses:

22. Inked

Inked Active Member Team Daytona Team V6 TDi Audi A4 quattro S-line owners group

Guess I’ll have to pick one of these up in the new year then!

23. JG220

JG220 Active Member Team Floret Silver Audi S4

That link says A4 8W only.

But i couldn't find another on the site. is this the right one?

24. Telboy

Telboy Member Team Daytona Team V6 saloon TDi Audi A4 quattro S-line owners group

That's right, the Audi A4 B9 is officially known as Audi A4 B9 8W I believe,..

25. Happy Grumpz

Yes it’s correct. When you order they’ll ask for your VIN so they can check it’s compatible:)

26. Telboy

Telboy Member Team Daytona Team V6 saloon TDi Audi A4 quattro S-line owners group

Big thumbs up to Happy Grumpz, got mine today and followed your instructions, works like a treat :rock:

Happy Grumpz and Jcbmally like this.
  27. Happy Grumpz

I’d like to take credit but I can’t, I just followed what someone did to their A5.

Glad it’s worked though, imo it really is money well spent.

28. Skatman

Skatman New Member

Sweet. I'll be jumping on this bandwagon when mine arrives in March. As the B9 becomes more and more well known, and more of these are figured out by companies like Kufatec, I'm hoping that I can configure the adaptive cruise. I'm still not 100% convinced it's not installed as standard but turned "off" so they can charge for it. They do this kind of thing all the time; so I'm hopeful, but not holding my breath!

29. ScottishA4B9

ScottishA4B9 Well-Known Member Team Daytona saloon TDi Audi A4 S-line owners group Manual

@Skatman Although for the adaptive cruise you would need to have that ugly radar unit sticking out from your grille.

30. cuke2u

On the A4 ACC uses the two radar domes where normally the fog lights are. Other models either have a single dome below the number plate or a black square.
    See picture of mine:
    20170802_171754.jpg

31. Skatman

Skatman New Member

Really? I haven't seen one of those yet. I thought it was all behind the rear-view mirror? I don't think they look that bad. It makes sense now why it's such an expensive option.

32. cuke2u

33. Avatar

34. Car_Allowance

Car_Allowance Member

Oh I like the look of this. A bit pricey so hoping the price comes down!

35. guestlinger

guestlinger Member

A few questions:

1) is it possible that Audi will remove this from your car during a visit to the dealers ...
    2) ... and if so can the dongle be reused on the same vehicle to reprogram
    3) would Audi TD1 the car (ie invalidate the warranty) if it finds this on your car?
    4) should you notify your insurance company; does this constitute a modification?

36. cuke2u

1) Yes if they update the software, but dearlerships only do this if they are instructed too.
    2) Yes
    3) No, not in a million years would this cause a TD1.
    4) Nope.
    I have read on the a3 8v forum that some dealerships have been asking if the software has been altered. Nothing sinister about it as they are well aware of these mods.

37. Trickey

Trickey New Member

@Happy Grumpz can you share your long coding for the various modules? (A5, 5F, 17, 82) I coded it successfully with OBD11, but cant get it in the MMI menu or HUD.

38. psychopomp1

psychopomp1 Active Member

Happy Grumpz likes this.
  39. psychopomp1

psychopomp1 Active Member

Thanks for this Happy Grumpz, HazzyDazy charges £270 (incl vat) for the same mod so can save quite a bit by going for the Kufatec dongle.

Happy Grumpz likes this.
  40. Trickey

Trickey New Member

Yeah i understand that... i got TSR working with OBD eleven only for the VC. However if he has an OBD eleven that he has used for other changes, he can still dump the modules to help others figure out the rest of the tweaks to the coding. In Aus, my car did not require parameterization, so i was able to code TSR without a Kufatec... now i just want to try to get the HUD and MMI menu options to display along with the VC.

41. Happy Grumpz

Sorry @Trickey i don’t have OBD11

42. DaveW

DaveW Well-Known Member

43. NLL

NLL New Member

I’ve got VC and the camera - what was your coding process with OBD11?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk