Trade in prices

dsme

Mythos Black RS3
Reaction score
Website
davidelliott.scot
Hi,

Just wondering what prices people are getting when trading back into Audi after two years of ownership?

The reason I ask is I'm trying to work out how much I am going to loose and if I will still be sane afterwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jassyo06
It's not even worth mentioning.

That's the kindest words I could put it.

Reactions: pburv, sjbarneS3, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
Especially if you bought an S3. Oops, sorry shouldn't have said that.
Depends on price at purchase, discount, deposit etc etc.
I always go by the price to change. Tends to give you a better idea of costs.

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
Especially if you bought an S3. Oops, sorry shouldn't have said that.
Depends on price at purchase, discount, deposit etc etc.
I always go by the price to change. Tends to give you a better idea of costs.

1500 deposit pcp

I'm guessing south of 20-22k. Some have been quoted 24/25k at a year old for more expensive cars so I may be being a little kind.

I'm guessing south of 20-22k. Some have been quoted 24/25k at a year old for more expensive cars so I may be being a little kind.

Second hand S3s are going on autotrader minimum 25k after two years. Are Audi really putting an extra 2-3k on these cars?

Get your settlement figure from Audi,then take it from there....don't and l mean don't go near Audi for a trade in value against another pcp deal...sell it elsewhere,then clear the outstanding balance..before entering into another term

Reactions: David83S3, Soulboy, pburv and 1 other person
I did this! Audi offered me 10k for my last trade-in. Got WBAC value, went to Evans Halshaw and they beat that. Ended up with £12,225 instead of 10k at Audi.

Reactions: pburv
I traded a manual S3 3-door with 32.5k miles 20months old for £21.2k, which just happened to be equal to the settlement figure!

I did this! Audi offered me 10k for my last trade-in. Got WBAC value, went to Evans Halshaw and they beat that. Ended up with £12,225 instead of 10k at Audi.
wow that is a big difference . you would think audi would give better trader ins to stop people going with other brands . i,am taking note for when i trade in .

I'm looking to buy an S3 but want to know what sort of financial hit I'm getting into before hand.

Fooking horrendous mate,the last 2 years payments you have made, nearly 50% of that is on interest...just phone up Audi and ask for a settlement finance figure....then come back to this thread....anyone can tell you this or that but...its really not applicable to your own pcp deal

No matter what 'normal' car you buy, you'll always take a financial hit.

I'd be quite happy to loose about 2.5k a year on the car making it a 20k car after 4 years, am I dreaming lol?. The 2012 S3s are still going for 20k.

Mid December last year

like l said your pcp deal is irrelevant as is everyones,its the OP PCP DEAL...he has to sort it out for himself...your deposit and spec...has also got contributing factors...l was offered £26k for a year old S3 its still irrelevant to the OP

Reactions: pburv and Scottyg
I'd be quite happy to loose about 2.5k a year on the car making it a 20k car after 4 years. The 2012 S3s are still going for 20k.

Dont you read posts, am outa this thread

You're obviously one of these people that don't understand that forums are for discussions aren't you? Bye xx
Get over yerself mate...theres a link l posted,ABOUT S3 Depreciation..... Run Forrest Run....Dalt

Reactions: pburv and Scottyg
I'd be quite happy to loose about 2.5k a year on the car making it a 20k car after 4 years, am I dreaming lol?. The 2012 S3s are still going for 20k.

Sorry....not a chance. try doubling it.

You will lose £5k a year for the first 2 years and then maybe £3k a year for the next two.....

Reactions: pburv, dsme, veeeight and 1 other person

You will lose £5k a year for the first 2 years and then maybe £3k a year for the next two.....

Frustrating, correct me if I'm wrong but the last time I checked I'm pretty sure it worked out cheaper per month to buy new rather than buying used particularly because of the APR that Audi charge, dilemma.

I was offered £15k last month by audi, basically negative equity if that's to be believed so if I was to go for a new car would just hand the car back and start again...

A good bit more than that year 1-I would say 8K

Audi will try and put on around £5000 on top of what they give you trade in,
See what second hand cars are going for at main dealers, minus £5k and try and improve on that!

Reactions: hood and dsme
My local dealer seems to operate on a trade in value by putting your reg number into webuyanycar - or in other words offers you a pretty low trade-in. Whilst you expect the biggest depreciation in year one of ownership my view is that that starts to flatten off by end of year 2 and year 3 is quite low depreciation. I'm guessing that by the end of 3 years, mine will be worth somewhere between 43% and 47% of what I paid for t.

The other thing you have to take into account is that you get no money back on optional extras; car values are calculated on the depreciation against the standard car cost without any extras added on - all extras do is make the car more saleable, you never get your cash back on the extras. So you need to take that into account. No good saying that your car cost £40K, if it has £5k's worth of extras' as you "lose" that £5K as soon as you drive off the forecourt, depreciation would be calculated against the £35K standard cost of the car.

Of course dealers love all the extras on them and bump the price up at what they sell at, you never realise the benefit in cash back, or if you do, its a poor return.

Reactions: daydotz, pburv and dsme
Traded in my 3 door S3 today(1 year old to the day) for a pre reg feb 2016 new M3 price 47k,got 24700 for the S3,well happy with that.300 mile round
trip,peeing with rain,missing 4wd already! Lol

Reactions: Goodfella74, Jassyo06, Martinbanshee and 4 others
Second hand S3s are going on autotrader minimum 25k after two years. Are Audi really putting an extra 2-3k on these cars?
Yep I got told by the finance guy at Audi that they look to put 2-3k on every car they buy in.

I know you get a lot more on a private sale, but my concern is that you are advertising a car that is sort after by car thieves, so basically you may as well put a neon sign above your house saying "S3 here, come and take it". It would be good if there were a middle man to take any risk out.

Edit* Anyone gone the full term on a PCP with an S3? if so what were the figures at the end...break even, bit of equity or still negative equity?

After I'd done the deal on the S3 I mentioned that I had been looking at a BMW prior to the Audi, the sales guy laughed and said with BMW you're just looking to hand the car back at the end with nothing in it. By the sounds of it Audi is going to be the same! in which case next time I may look at BMW again.

Last edited:
My trade-in figurers on various A3s over the years, all with the same dealer, have been around 55% of the original purchase price after just under three years. I then get around 9% discount on the cash purchase of the next A3.

The popularity of the A3/S3 is all down to the pretty looking "on the surface" Audi finance deals,it's a victim of it own success
As l have said before,dealers can buy in new cars cheaper than they can sell one year old cars for.....which is really bad news for existing owners wanting trade in even after 2 years.

If you want to get rid of a car after only 1 or 2 years, expect to get turned upside down and shaken till all of your money tumbles out. The depreciation curve on an a new car is like a cliff in year one. It's value plummeting as it sits on your driveway. The losses start to reduce over the subsequent years, until after 36 months you should have lost something around 44% of the original cost. The A3 is among the better cars out there for depreciation. It'll retain just over 56% of its value over three years according to CAP, but the vast majority of the loss occurs in the early stages as much as 30 or 40% in the first six months.

If you really want to feel depreciation, try a Maserati quattroporte (£108k!), a Citroen C5, or just about any vauxhall, where you can expect to have retained about a quarter of the value after 3 years.

Reactions: A3_Rider, slinemfc, pburv and 1 other person
If you want to get rid of a car after only 1 or 2 years, expect to get turned upside down and shaken till all of your money tumbles out. The depreciation curve on an a new car is like a cliff in year one. It's value plummeting as it sits on your driveway. The losses start to reduce over the subsequent years, until after 36 months you should have lost something around 44% of the original cost. The A3 is among the better cars out there for depreciation. It'll retain just over 56% of its value over three years according to CAP, but the vast majority of the loss occurs in the early stages as much as 30 or 40% in the first six months.

If you really want to feel depreciation, try a Maserati quattroporte (£108k!), a Citroen C5, or just about any vauxhall, where you can expect to have retained about a quarter of the value after 3 years.
View attachment 85421

Supply and demand that will always apply
Over supply of the A3/S3 is what's happening, yeah l heard a while back BMW where dishing out loans at extremely low percentage rates to existing clients that where still in negative equity after 3/4 years..just to help them into another deal there GMFV didn't hold,the same could happen with yer S3/A3

Reactions: NickyF, Alex jb and pburv
BMW where dishing out loans at extremely low percentage rates to existing clients that where still in negative equity after 3/4 years..just to help them into another deal there GMFV didn't hold,the same could happen with yer S3/A3

I'd rather do things along the lines of this deal: http://www.petervardybmw.co.uk/cars...or/m135i/m135i-5-door-sports-hatch/m135i-5dr/

or if you need a saloon http://www.petervardybmw.co.uk/cars...ve-m-sport-saloon/320i-xdrive-m-sport-saloon/

Low deposit, monthly payments below the £400 I want to blow each month, no negotiating on discount, then at the end just give it back and start again, no worry about how much you have lost on a big deposit or having to save each month during the term of the PCP for the same deposit again. Basically you give them the agreed amount each month for the car and at the end start again.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Supply and demand that will always apply
Over supply of the A3/S3 is what's happening, yeah l heard a while back BMW where dishing out loans at extremely low percentage rates to existing clients that where still in negative equity after 3/4 years..just to help them into another deal there GMFV didn't hold,the same could happen with yer S3/A3

Looking at the numbers, I'm not sure that over supply of A3 variants is a particular issue. Yes, its the 8th biggest seller in the uk, which is a spot it started occupying with the launch of the 8V in 2013, but this also convinced with a general wake up of the new car market. Sales of all new cars expanded hugely in 2013 as the recovery from the economic disaster of '07 finally took hold.

However, the A3 still only sells about 60% of the volume of the Golf, and about half that of the Focus. The A3 actually lost market share in Europe in 2015 compared to the previous year, selling 200,000 examples across the EU in both years, despite the new car market expanding overall by about 5%. In '15 compared to '14

The S3 variant sells about 2400 per year in '14-'15, so it sells in similar numbers to competitors like the M135i, but only half as many as the Golf R. 2400 S3's a market that bought 2.63 million new cars does not make it a commonplace car. It's not super rare, but it's still less than 1 in 1000 new cars sold.

Reactions: S32B and pburv
I'd rather do things along the lines of this deal: http://www.petervardybmw.co.uk/cars...or/m135i/m135i-5-door-sports-hatch/m135i-5dr/

or if you need a saloon http://www.petervardybmw.co.uk/cars...ve-m-sport-saloon/320i-xdrive-m-sport-saloon/

Low deposit, monthly payments below the £400 I want to blow each month, no negotiating on discount, then at the end just give it back and start again, no worry about how much you have lost on a big deposit or having to save each month during the term of the PCP for the same deposit again. Basically you give them the agreed amount each month for the car and at the end start again.

You can get an M135i even cheaper than that from the BMW dealership that sponsors the babybmw forum.