Trade in or sell private

Raiden

Reaction score
I've decided that I want a Golf MK7 R used and I am just not sure what to do with my S3.

Someone suggested I should do it around march or sept when people pick up there new cars and all the lease ones will come back and I might get a deal?

With my car the minor service is due around July along with a few little jobs so should I bother getting them done or leave it?

Last time I sold a car privately it was like pulling teeth so don't really want to do it but if I get more money i'll put up with muppets. I know how long is a piece of string but prices seem to vary a lot with the 8P selling privately and trade in value. When I went to Ford to look at the new RS first they said they would give me £6700 for it and then another salesman said hang on let me make a call and it went down to £6200!!! When looking at R's last week they said £7000 but I pushed them to £7500.

I'm in no real rush but is selling a car not a good time in Jan? Originally I was going to keep it for another year and then change cars but I find myself keep looking at R's and getting impatient

My experience is that people buy all times of the year,sell it when you want your new car.
I had a mare with that I sold my Edition too quick and I spotted an Audi I wanted…even though I had a R32 loaner (full fat mk4 one)
Btw using auto trader they disguise your number so need to buy a burner

I'm thinking of doing exactly the same switch at the moment.
I went to a local indy recently which has sealed the deal, the mk7 R is one hell of a car. The difference from an 8p to thatwas night and day, I am going from a manual S3 to DSG as I'm spending more time in traffic and having spent he past 3 years back in a manual I think i will be happy to lose the clutch pedal forever.

I've been debating the trade in vs. private sale too and have to say when I was offered what I considered to be a joke from the salesman I basically walked out.
It sounds like you could be in a similar situation to me too, I have some small jobs that I need to sort out (read have been putting off for the winter), I decided that the best way to make the decision was:
Check auto trader for similar cars to your own, mileage, age, spec, private sale (if there aren't any as I'm finding, base your sale price a fraction lower then a traders equivalent)
Take the offers you've had from traders for part ex
Add up the cost of your to do list if you were to sell private

For me it feel that for what I needed to spend I should be able to make this back on the sale and a little extra.
That said I would expect a trader to have some movement on their selling price if they weren't willing to budge on their value of my car.
If you think you could only sell the car for £200-300 more it may be worth the part ex, but i would say you should be able to expect closer to £1000 more depending on your car's age/condition surely? Which is a big percentage and decent chunk towards your new car.

I've only ever sold cars privately and have found the myths of people only buying and selling at a certain time of year to be just that. Although you may well find more cars come up around new reg dates.
There may be a few time wasters, you usually get the feel for someone that is genuine or a time waster by the questions they ask or want to know about the car.

What spec are you looking for on an R?

Reactions: Raiden
Food for thought. I just don't know what to do??? My plan was to maybe try and sell it about June time. A minor service for mine is about £160 I think? then the brake fluid change is £60 and then cost to do the haldex oil. And on the last MOT the only issue which was a minor was CV gaiter deteriorated but preventing ingress of dirt or leaking grease. I'm sure it will need replacing this year. But prices on the 8P seem to vary a lot to me? Mines got 82k and by the time June comes it will have between 85-90k at a guess. Bose system and satnav,2 door and there going from 7-10k?

With the Golf R i'm after a 2014-15 model with DSG and 4 doors. Like you i'm sick of getting stuck in traffic and having to change gear every 2 seconds. Other than that i'm not too fussed with the other options. If I got a R right now I didn't want to spend anymore than 19k on one but by the summer I should have some cash. Or if I wait till this time next year I will have some money in the bank but then I run the risk of my S3 going down in price a lot maybe? I'm going back to VW on Sat to pick my wifes California up and the R I looked at hasn't shifted so i'll see if they will take my offer of 19k. Probably won't but they have called me a couple times asking if I want it still.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...chad=New&sort=price-asc&year-from=2014&page=1

Yeah it sounds exactly like whats been going through my head, except I'm thinking of selling in March or April time once I've finished some work on the house, or so I've been told...
It's all man maths I guess, weighing up options of head vs. heart, but in reality 9 times out of 10 you will get much better money for a performance car of this age selling privately.
I would say for what you are looking at spending and what you've been offered it's got to be beneficial for you to sell privately and then find the right R for you. There's certainly no shortage.
The traders from what I understand aren't fussed about spec and condition when it comes to cars of a certain age, as they make such a small difference in the selling price now. I understand they need to make a living and there may well be some warranty work required or wheels to be refurbed before they can sell hence the low offers.
Mines a Sportback, 77k, Bose, Nav, Black Pack (original Black Edition), Panoramic Sunroof and I can see similar on AT from £9.5-13.5k, I'm aiming at £12k if possible.

It sounds like we are after exactly the same in the Golf's except I'm specifically after Lapiz Blue, DSG and i'd like leather (if I'm putting circa £20k into a car I want leather seats not sure why they even offered another choice for £35k when new)
I considered a fully spec'd GTI performance, but after driving the R it was never going to happen.
Make the offer what's the worst that could happen? They say yes you have a new car they say no you've lost nothing. Although thats about 10% off their asking price, you'd have to take what they offered on the Audi.

1 last thing to think about is warranty will likely have just ended, although with a approved used you'll get an extra year, it'd be worth seeing if you can extend this at all.

LOL i'm told our place is almost finished but then my wife says 'oh wait I want this done, Where's your money' :tearsofjoy: so by June she can have some and I can get an R guilt free.

I want either white or the blue and think I am going to try cloth seats this time round. Even with the heated leather in the S3 i'm getting a cold back side waiting for them to heat up then sticking to them in summer. Can't find many R's with heated cloth tho.

I didn't actually test drive the R when I was there. I've been feeling impatient the last few weeks and tried out a GTI PP and was amazed at how good it was. Tho its slower on paper than the S3 it felt quicker and I said to the sales girl i'll think about it. But that R they had just came in and it was almost on budget and of course they wouldn't let me leave the showroom without a deposit. They were just not budging on the price, Best they offered was 2 free services. I knew if I drove it I would buy so I walked away. Just need to stay strong on Sat :box:

It's never ending :crying:! Guilt free until they find out how much you've spent on 'that car', sure enough they'll be asking for the keys though.

I think coming from a white car + next door has a white Cupra 280, I'm ready for a change. That said I think I've had quite a spectrum of car colours in the past, red, black, yellow, grey, blue, silver and white. The cloth seats were comfy in the one I drove and the heated seats were still a nice comfort (still took a moment to feel the burn), but with a 6 and 3 year old boys to transport to football and school leather has been a god send.

Was the GTI PP a DSG too? i think that gearbox makes up for a lot of performance, my S3 is mapped to 325bhp and a friends mk6 GTI wasn't to far behind up to 40-50 mph so can imagine it felt close to a standard S3, power to weight must make a play there to?
I would say if you go there again and enquire, they are going to think your quite serious about the possible purchase and you'd be likely to get a test drive. They are quite sort after, looking on AT the good ones disappear in a week so I'd guess they aren't struggling to sell them hence the lack of movement in price.

Let us know how it goes and if you do purchase I'll look forward to hearing the reaction to the first drive. :icon thumright:

I got a reply off VW and the sales girl said she will have a word again with the manager. Will wait and see

The GTI I tried did have DSG. I just loved comfort mode

Reactions: luke_m87
Don’t want to tell you how to suck eggs but could you advertise your car 2 weeks before collecting new one, using free sites and £15 eBay, ask £1000 more than px offer and see what’s happens as you put up with the time wasters and silly offers

Be honest about any concerns you have ref servicing and mot concerns

My van wasn't ready so they've said next Saturday for me to collect it but the R they have knocked £500 off it. I've said nah I've got a budget and I need to stick to it. But if it's not shifted during the week they'll see if they can do anything better. I must be the only guy sniffing around it at the moment. Hopefully after a week they might cut a deal

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My van wasn't ready so they've said next Saturday for me to collect it but the R they have knocked £500 off it. I've said nah I've got a budget and I need to stick to it. But if it's not shifted during the week they'll see if they can do anything better. I must be the only guy sniffing around it at the moment. Hopefully after a week they might cut a deal

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Maybe ring them lunchtime on the 31st month end and all that

Just got a email from them now asking if there is anything they can do for me to buy it? I'm sure when I looked it up online yesterday it was taken off so I assumed they sold it. What would you guys do? It's just ever so slightly over my budget and I really need to stick to it but this little voice in my head says 'JUST BUY IT!!!' Last I bought a car from a main dealer I didn't get a good deal so I try and avoid them

It sounds like they want to get the sale in for the end of the month to me.
I would say to them, they know your offer. either they need to move on their selling price or their offer on the S3.
Maybe throw in a set of brand new Michelin pilot sport 4s and 2 years servicing or an extended warranty over the year you will have with it.
If they are that desperate for you to buy and exceed your budget, they need to give you some incentive.

Play them at their own game, show just enough interest, but not to keen.

They declined and someone has bought it this morning so it wasn't meant to be. I have taken my plate off the S3 so ill start advertising it now. If its not gone by June ill trade it in

That's a shame, but as you say it wasn't to be this time.
Good luck with the sale, I'm 100% sure you'l have no trouble selling yours and make sure you get what your asking for.
Then when your ready you'll find the right R for you. There's plenty around and you can use that to your advantage hopefully.

Let us know how you get on, I'll not be far behind with mine too I think.

Ok i'm getting a little frustrated with selling my car. I know its early days still but how can I get a true value on my car plus i've made a few enquiries on R's I have seen and over the phone and email prices really vary plus NO ONE is knocking off a penny on the ones that I am after. I don't want to travel a million miles to be offered pennies on a part ex.

So firstly selling privately no one has come to view it but one guy over the weekend said £6400 cash. Maybe it didn't help that I laughed but I said no way mate. Just getting loads of texts and emails saying have you still got it and would you accept a part ex? But no coming down to see it.

Then 2 R's within a 100 mile radius with the right spec I have said how much for mine and sent over the info. One said 7k and the other said 6k but went up to 7k after me saying coming on that's way too low plus the R will need servicing soon.

Not put my car on autotrader yet as it's about £60 so I was gonna wait until my pistonheads advert expires. But seriously does no one negotiate any more? The R I want at the mo is up for £20,900 and I wanted £500 off? Was I too optimistic?

Ok i'm getting a little frustrated with selling my car. I know its early days still but how can I get a true value on my car plus i've made a few enquiries on R's I have seen and over the phone and email prices really vary plus NO ONE is knocking off a penny on the ones that I am after. I don't want to travel a million miles to be offered pennies on a part ex.

So firstly selling privately no one has come to view it but one guy over the weekend said £6400 cash. Maybe it didn't help that I laughed but I said no way mate. Just getting loads of texts and emails saying have you still got it and would you accept a part ex? But no coming down to see it.

Then 2 R's within a 100 mile radius with the right spec I have said how much for mine and sent over the info. One said 7k and the other said 6k but went up to 7k after me saying coming on that's way too low plus the R will need servicing soon.

Not put my car on autotrader yet as it's about £60 so I was gonna wait until my pistonheads advert expires. But seriously does no one negotiate any more? The R I want at the mo is up for £20,900 and I wanted £500 off? Was I too optimistic?

I would go AutoTrader mate. When I sold my last A5 privately I didn't get so much as a call for about 2months....then suddenly one Friday I got a call, came to view the next day, and transferred cash and picked up on Sunday....!

Regards to the R, I assume you are buying cash? Why not pretend you are buying on PCP (at the ridiculous APR rate), and then try and negotiate free servicing, discount and extra warranty? I'm sure they will factor in the money made from the finance and therefore offer you more...

Of course you just settle the finance in full within 14days...

I would say your better with Auto Trader as they have a much wider marketplace, Piston Heads has a fairly specific purchaser.
Sometimes it seems to take a while to move a car on and you feel you may miss a deal on another car, but there will always be more R's they made so many. I keep seeing them come and go which I think is the only reason I haven't made a hugely impulsive purchase myself.

I'm not sure if a PCP on a used car may be a little different to brand new? As in the dealer will not be making anywhere near the new car sales commission and they won't be able to offer as much as they can on a new car.
Unfortunately the fact they seem to be selling like hot cakes and rightly so they are a very good car and I think they're prices right now are amazing, just means the dealers don't need to budge on asking price because someone else will be along the following weekend and pay asking price.

I'm not sure if a PCP on a used car may be a little different to brand new? As in the dealer will not be making anywhere near the new car sales commission and they won't be able to offer as much as they can on a new car.

A cash buyer buying a used car would only result on whatever the profit margin is of that used car. Probably not a lot, around £3/4k if I was to guess. I think your right, I think the profit margins on a brand new car are likely to be higher.

But the charges involved with used PCP are astronomical...!

A £20k Golf R would have a GFV of about £8k after 48months I reckon (please correct me if I'm wrong)?
At the whopping 10.9% APR, that would be 47 monthly payments of about £350, assuming £1000 down as an initial payment.
That amounts to...*drum roll*.....

Over £6,000 in interest charges!

All of a sudden that 'generous' dealer contribution of £500 for taking out their 'Payment Solutions' finance (i.e. PCP) doesn't look so generous after all....

A new car PCP of 3-6% is still extortionate over 48months, but that's another thread.

I've never even considered a PCP on a used car and this is probably why!
My preference would be a personal loan from the bank if required.
That said I have heard of people taking the PCP to get a 'deal' then after a month or so taking a personal loan to cover the remaining finance and not cancel out the 'deal' they had initially received. Isn't the a time frame you have to keep the PCP for to do this?

I've never even considered a PCP on a used car and this is probably why!
My preference would be a personal loan from the bank if required.
That said I have heard of people taking the PCP to get a 'deal' then after a month or so taking a personal loan to cover the remaining finance and not cancel out the 'deal' they had initially received. Isn't the a time frame you have to keep the PCP for to do this?

No, you can settle the finance in full in the first 14days and pay no interest. Same as an loan. You don’t suddenly lose any contributions of free services, etc. either.

A PCP is just a loan, but structured slightly differently. A portion is deferred to the end to reduce monthly payments, but this in turn dramatically increases interest paid. Essentially it’s a combination of a traditional capital & interest loan, and a interest only loan. Typically the interest only bit is the largest bit, hence the high interest charges.

No, you can settle the finance in full in the first 14days and pay no interest. Same as an loan. You don’t suddenly lose any contributions of free services, etc. either.

A PCP is just a loan, but structured slightly differently. A portion is deferred to the end to reduce monthly payments, but this in turn dramatically increases interest paid. Essentially it’s a combination of a traditional capital & interest loan, and a interest only loan. Typically the interest only bit is the largest bit, hence the high interest charges.

Long gone are the days of taking a wedge of cash and waving it in front of a sales mans face!

This does sound like it could be a good option to get a deal on a car providing you actually pay off the finance.