Tracking? or something else?

jackj

Reaction score
Hi all,

If I am driving straight forward my steering wheel is slightly turned to the right in a default position.

If I straighten my wheel so it is even in the middle, I turn off to the left slightly.

Does this mean I need my tracking doing badly? If I let go of the steering wheel the car goes straight forward, but as mentioned the steering wheel is turned to the right a bit.

Hope this makes sense, if not I'll try get some diagrams/photos!

Thanks in advance

Doesn't sound like the tracking is off, sounds more like at some point in the past the alignment has been adjusted but the steering wheel wasn't centred properly before the adjustment was done. Easy fix is to remove the steering wheel which is on a spline and recentre it with the wheels set straight ahead may only be one spline out if it's not too far off centre at the moment.

HTH

Alan

Doesn't sound like the tracking is off, sounds more like at some point in the past the alignment has been adjusted but the steering wheel wasn't centred properly before the adjustment was done. Easy fix is to remove the steering wheel which is on a spline and recentre it with the wheels set straight ahead may only be one spline out if it's not too far off centre at the moment.

HTH

Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the reply - big help.

I'm a pure novice with the steering side of things - what is the spline? Where is it positioned etc.?

Thanks buddy

Simply line the wheels up straight and take the steering wheel off the 'spline' and and reposition it back on straight (if that is the problem anyway)

Simply line the wheels up straight and take the steering wheel off the 'spline' and and reposition it back on straight (if that is the problem anyway)

I must sound like a right fool but where is the spline? How do I take the steering wheel off the spline?

Thanks and sorry for my stupidness!

Just realised your from middlesbrough haha if you really get stuck i could give you a quick hand just pm me :)

When did your steering wheel start to be off-centre??
Was it after having it removed and refitted??

If not, DO NOT do what people are suggesting!! You will just be disguising the problem by removing the steering wheel and re-fitting it in a "straight" position.

Sounds like a tracking problem to me. The steering probably wasn't centred when tracking has been done in the past, or it has been knocked out since.

Take it for a proper 4 wheel alignment by someone who knows what they are doing and I bet you'll leave with a straight steering wheel at the end.

When did your steering wheel start to be off-centre??
Was it after having it removed and refitted??

If not, DO NOT do what people are suggesting!! You will just be disguising the problem by removing the steering wheel and re-fitting it in a "straight" position.

Sounds like a tracking problem to me. The steering probably wasn't centred when tracking has been done in the past, or it has been knocked out since.

Take it for a proper 4 wheel alignment by someone who knows what they are doing and I bet you'll leave with a straight steering wheel at the end.

Well I bought the car from Manchester Audi on October and the steering wheel was fine then. Only noticed it about 2 months back to be honest... I'm confused as to what to do now!

Well I bought the car from Manchester Audi on October and the steering wheel was fine then. Only noticed it about 2 months back to be honest... I'm confused as to what to do now!

Well if it was fine but has developed since, do not reposition the steering wheel as advised above.
I still say a proper alignment will sort you out.

Go here to find your nearest tracking centre, and other info --------> www.AlignMyCar.co.uk - Centre Locator

Not sure if the 5% discount still works though.

Well if it was fine but has developed since, do not reposition the steering wheel as advised above.
I still say a proper alignment will sort you out.

Go here to find your nearest tracking centre, and other info --------> www.AlignMyCar.co.uk - Centre Locator

Not sure if the 5% discount still works though.

Awesome thanks mate. I know a local centre does a free alignment check so I can get that done for free. If that's ok then I can try the advised activity above?

Thanks again mate

Last edited: