Tracking checked after lowering?

gc1989

Reaction score
Do the majority of you guys get your tracking checked on your car after having suspension modifications?

Think it's advisable, but not essentially straight away. I'm certainly going to do it after my springs fitted.

i had my springs fitted then drove down to STAR and had my alignment done while the map and pump were done.

Well worth getting a 4 wheel alignment done when convenient, not urgent but will benefit you in the long run.

Yeah i'll echo these comments, not exactly life and death but you may have minor tracking problem already that you have not noticed and lowering will only amplify that into being noticeable.

IMO it is essential unless you want your tires to wear down quickly and risk less than optimal handling. lowering the car will alter the distance between the steering rack and the hubs as the hubs will be moving up into the wheel arches more, thus altering the toe. might only be a small amount but if your going to the trouble of doing the shocks then surly you want the alignment right?

I know when one of the lads at work fitted some coilovers on his Clio, he was expecting the tracking to be way out. He took it to the local alignment place, paid them 60 quid or whatever, and found they were pretty damn close! Even the adjustable camber had been set up by eye within factory tolerances! However changing any suspension parts can knock the alignment out, and I think it's false economy not to have it checked - the saving on alignment is nothing compared to the cost of having to change your tyres early due to irregular wear.

Thanks for the information guys.

Rico where are you going to get your alignment done? I'm trying to think where the best place would be in the area.

No point replying to this thread as you get the idea!

I normally get my cars checked every 2 years for tracking whether or not I've changed the hardware. Have found this important in the past, especially on older cars, I remember my Boxster was well out after a couple of years.

No point replying to this thread as you get the idea!

I normally get my cars checked every 2 years for tracking whether or not I've changed the hardware. Have found this important in the past, especially on older cars, I remember my Boxster was well out after a couple of years.

To be honest with the ****** state of the roads in this country, I'm getting mine done every 6-9 months.

If you do a google search on 4 wheel alignment it will bring up places in your area that can carry it out, got to be worth £50 - £60 to know all is 100%

Thanks for the information guys.

Rico where are you going to get your alignment done? I'm trying to think where the best place would be in the area.

Considering Lovett at Ellon car clinic as only heard good things about him. Also, Mark M told me about a father and son outfit in Banchory that do a lot of bits and bobs for him, plus the son will do homers for better rates. TBH, I'm thinking of picking up the car and driving straight to get the springs done, have spacers as well until funds permit the 19's. Banchory is the better option for me though, closer. As I write this I'm thinking I'll need to check that both do the alignment, will defo fit the springs. I'll check again and let you know. :icon_thumright:

Gar, C&D Autos in Banchory will do alignment. I'll give them a shout in the next week or so, see what the rates are like. Where you based? Motorwerks is always tops as well if central.

If you change any suspension settings from standard factory then it is advisable to have these boys set it up again http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/

They have centres around the country and these kits are bang on compared to the laser systems...

Rico I'm from fraserburgh about 40 miles north of aberdeen.

I am going to get the springs in straight away then leave it a while for the springs to settle.