Track tyres - summer

S3AMJ

OEM+
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I’m going to be buying a set of Rota G-Force 18x9j wheels and I’m looking at my options for tyres. I’ll be using these in the Spring and Summer.

Tyre size is either 235/40/18 or 245/35/18

I’m leaning towards the 245/35/18 tyre size.

In terms of tyres these are a few I’m looking into.

Nankang NS2R - 120 semi slicks
Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5
Eagle F1 SuperSport.

All similar price.

Any advice is welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normal road tyres don't work so well on track especially if it's hot. A few fast laps of a track like donnington and they just go all squidgy and you are sliding around. I run 245/25/18 MPSS on my TT as normal road tyres and I did run them at Rockingham when it was around 26 degrees. It does nothing for the tyre life at all. In the wet they are great, last time out at Silverstone on a wet / drying track they were excellent.
NS2R are OK track tyres, the Daddy at the moment is the Nankang AR-1 . But you pay for it, around £660 for a set of 4 new. NS2R is more like £400.

Reactions: S3AMJ
How do the AR-1’s manage in the wet? They look like they would dissipate the water well but on a damp surface might be a little slippery?

What brand are MPSS Karl? Trying to google up on them.

Michelin Pilot Super Sport. I had a really good buy off Ebay thanks to a listing error by the official BMW store. The 245/35/18 MPSS is used as a front or rear tyre on a lot of the BMW M cars. They list two x 245/35/18 MPSS for £150 so I bought 3 lots or 6 tyres for £450. Should have been 1 tyre LOL.
Any road legal track day tyre will be marginal in the wet, some are better than others, but looking at the strange tread pattern on the AR1-1 I don't think it would be that good in the wet.
If you look at the grooves or lack of them one would take water to the outside of the tyre the other would move water into the centre. strange.

I vote absolutely against Eagle F1 Asymmetric, average grip when new and awful in a year or two.. That's on an Accord CL9..

I vote absolutely against Eagle F1 Asymmetric, average grip when new and awful in a year or two.. That's on an Accord CL9..

I’ve currently got Eagle F1 asymmetric 3’s on the back and Eagle F1 asymmetric 5’s on the front. They seems to be ok for normal road use, grip well and last between 10,000-12,000 miles.

But like Karl pointed out, won’t last long on the track on a hot day. Which is something I didn’t consider.

Michelin Pilot Super Sport. I had a really good buy off Ebay thanks to a listing error by the official BMW store. The 245/35/18 MPSS is used as a front or rear tyre on a lot of the BMW M cars. They list two x 245/35/18 MPSS for £150 so I bought 3 lots or 6 tyres for £450. Should have been 1 tyre LOL.
Any road legal track day tyre will be marginal in the wet, some are better than others, but looking at the strange tread pattern on the AR1-1 I don't think it would be that good in the wet.
If you look at the grooves or lack of them one would take water to the outside of the tyre the other would move water into the centre. strange.

That’s a steal! Nice bargain got there. Thanks for the info mate. I’m tempted with the AR-1’s but as this will be for normal road use as well as track. Wet driving is a concern. I Need to do some more research

As some will have seen I decided to go for Yokohama AD08RS tyres. I’ve put 250 miles on them already and I’m pleasantly surprised how grippy they are in the wet.

Just need to try them out on the track at some point this year