Track time

CarterRS

Reaction score
So today I took my saloon on track at the performance German day in Castle combe.

First time I've pushed it really hard and the handling is unbelievable, so much control in the corners, you need to be on your guard and ready for it to bite at the back end but the way the car turns in and out of the coners is really impressive.

2 negative points -

- standard brakes - pretty much died after a few laps, I had to come off early because they were pretty much non exsistant!

I also had an error come up on the dash when I tried a lap in automatic. "Gearbox overheating- please adjust your driving style" didn't have this in the laps I did in manual.

Overall really impressed and compared to taking my 8v on track its night and day difference. The speed out of the corners meant most cars there couldn't keep up.

Reactions: NevMan, Mike.46, RS03??? and 2 others
I have just posted this on the running in thread, it might be applicable here to your gearbox overheat :)

On the running in thing it's heat that is your enemy and these days probably more so in (CV type) drive couplings than anything else,
You also need to remember that once you start applying lots of engine torque the contact patch moves slightly on gears/driveshafts/differentials etc, when we used to run the race cars in it would be maybe one lap flat out and then one lap easy to dissapate the heat, If you didnt do this things like driveshafts would have a very short life,
If you put a brand new driveshaft on and went straight out and hammered it you were talking possibly 5-10 laps and it would explode

Reactions: CarterRS
In my RS3 and 4 I changed the brakes to AP Racing, standard brakes rubbish imho.

TX.
cdd17f778f621c98674b47d83df5bbb7.jpg

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: CarterRS
Lots of track day Porsche owners went through the same thing, quite funny to watch the 'progression'

''I lost my brakes on the 2nd lap'' so, you go through this type of thing

Change of brake fluid, more brake cooling vents and pipes, change of brake pad compound.

''They're better but still fading towards end of session''

Change of discs and pads, tell customer he needs track day support to bleed his brakes after every two sessions

''My cars hopeless on the road, it doesn’t stop and the squealing from the brakes is embarrassing,
I need a track only car, and a trailer, spare wheels for slicks and wets etc''

And some time later on.........................

'Ive enetered a 750 motor club race''

Reactions: Terminator x