Track rod end fitting guide?

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Anyone got a guide for fitting new track rod ends? Think im going to replace mine before i get the car aligned as ive had 4 years and theyve never been done so thought may as well.

Wow, it's pretty much the same for most modern cars, kinds of speak for itself once you take your wheel off and have a look! The only thing you need to worry about is wether it's seized or not?

If its seized then heat it!

Take off wheel. I turn it until the track rod ball joint is at neutral position.
Loosen the bottom nut but keep it nip tight. Then loosen nut on the track rod. Once that nut is undone then take the rod end off the hub and unscrew. I normally mark the rod end and nut and count how many turns it takes to unscrew the rod end off as it keeps your alignment semi straighT. You'll need alignment though.

Never ever done it before jo believe it or not and forgot to look last time wheel was off lol. So the ends just simply unscrew off and new on. Fair dos, thanks also gops.

Also i asked jojo as in your thread their was a special tool needed?

Never ever done it before jo believe it or not and forgot to look last time wheel was off lol. So the ends just simply unscrew off and new on. Fair dos, thanks also gops.

Also i asked jojo as in your thread their was a special tool needed?

You need a special tool, or a rather large spanner to undo the track rod from the rack, track rod end is a piece of cake, even for a 'have a goer' like me.

Argh so you chnaged the rod and not the end.

Also is topran a good make to use or should i pay 3 times more and buy the lemforder ones?

Lemforder's good stuff. They're not much money if you shop around either. I've used some topran bits in the past and have been disappointed.

Reactions: Dani_B19
I changed both recently (well, a garage did as they were rebuilding shocks etc so got them to put them on) and the rods themselves as the inner joint can wear. I used Meyle but I've heard Moog are also good. Lemforder are mega money.

Have a decent 7mm hex key ready for the hub end. If it's rounded off then have a grinder handy!