Track days ?

G boogie

Reaction score
I’ve just collected my 67 plate saloon so far absolutely love it. I’ve come from s3 and stage 3 golf r then owned bmw m2 for couple years. I usually do few track days per year to get out and enjoy the car. What’s all needed ? I know older rs the disks were not up to much ? Just need new disks or better going a new kit ? I’ll prob stick a set of b16 coilovers on. Does 18 team dynamics go over the calipers without spacers ? Trying to see it to get new wheels and run cup 2 tyres for summer or just get a set of track wheels. Not bothered with adding any power at the moment. But everyone keeps telling me as stage 1 map is meant to make is even better

Reactions: jimojameso
I have taken my RS3 on track a few times. Brakes are where my car started to struggle first. Get some decent pads and fluid in first. I have springs and a rear ARB but i intend to go B16 or Ohlins though soon to improve things! :)

Following this post!

I've also done a few track days in my RS3, starting to feel a little judder (possibly warped discs) when braking hard from 130ish down to 70ish so I'm looking to upgrade discs, pads and fluids. Might even go the whole hog and get an aftermarket set, I hear AP radi-cal get a good review.

Suspension wise I'm lowered on eibach springs and I think it sits well for daily use and i havent had any issues on track so far. Need to remember that the car is "full fat" so it does roll around a bit.

Wheels and tyre wise, I have 19 inch ispiri ffr1 on with staggered setup, michellin ps4s are doing a job just now but im thinking of swapping out for a lighter weight set and track specific tyres for next year!

Attachments

• IMG_20201013_202058_854.jpg
    IMG_20201013_202058_854.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 223
I’ve been looking into disks as there is a good few options out there. Looking at about 800-1000 for fronts and not far off the same for rear. Looked at different kits as well ap, revo Alcon kit etc but trying to work out cost options as only doing a few days per year. I had ap kit up front on my golf with stock disks and ds2500 pads on rear of my golf r and it worked well. The stock calipers seem to be that big that it seems to limit what wheel fitments are good for the rs so maybe a new kit would allow more options? I’ve had coilovers on my last 3 cars so defo will go down this route over the spring option I reckon. I’m good mates with Dave Henderson at dh automotive and he’s done plenty track work with his rs so will be annoying him with questions Not expecting the rs to be full on awesome track car but reckon it will still be really good

Following this post!

I've also done a few track days in my RS3, starting to feel a little judder (possibly warped discs) when braking hard from 130ish down to 70ish so I'm looking to upgrade discs, pads and fluids. Might even go the whole hog and get an aftermarket set, I hear AP radi-cal get a good review.

Suspension wise I'm lowered on eibach springs and I think it sits well for daily use and i havent had any issues on track so far. Need to remember that the car is "full fat" so it does roll around a bit.

Wheels and tyre wise, I have 19 inch ispiri ffr1 on with staggered setup, michellin ps4s are doing a job just now but im thinking of swapping out for a lighter weight set and track specific tyres for next year!
Have you just joined bmw Scottish m group by any chance ??

Have you just joined bmw Scottish m group by any chance ??

Yes I have mate, my brother is super keen on trackdays in his Lotus so hes been pushing me to use the car on track rather than my daily commute!

I know Dave also, probably not as well as you though but the car is in to his tomorrow for an inspection and I'll work out from there whats needed to give the car some stopping power to equal/beat its straight line speed.

Yes I have mate, my brother is super keen on trackdays in his Lotus so hes been pushing me to use the car on track rather than my daily commute!

I know Dave also, probably not as well as you though but the car is in to his tomorrow for an inspection and I'll work out from there whats needed to give the car some stopping power to equal/beat its straight line speed.

aye I seen your post on fb and told Chris to kick you out the group as I wanted to be the only black loon car looks good got any more pics of it ? Is yous mapped ? My car was in for full service last week so happy it’s all done as I’ve just bought it and prefer to have it done myself.

Reactions: Alli_RR
aye I seen your post on fb and told Chris to kick you out the group as I wanted to be the only black loon car looks good got any more pics of it ? Is yous mapped ? My car was in for full service last week so happy it’s all done as I’ve just bought it and prefer to have it done myself.

Haha

Thanks mate, yeah it is stage 2 APR although I am working up the funds to go to stage 3 but I'm thinking of switching over to MRC at stage 3. I would like a safe and reliable 600hp, the car is my daily driver so it needs to be a n all rounder for me.

In other news, dave has just ordered me reyland larger discs and ds2500 pads all round so hopefully that does a decent job on track in the new year!

Attachments

• IMG_20201013_201919_939.jpg
    IMG_20201013_201919_939.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 198
There was meant to be laughing faces after the part about kicking you out btw just noticed it didn’t work. Bet it’s quick at stage 2! I used mrc for my golf r and was really good that’s who I’ll be using if I map mine. Car looks good. I’m waiting till next year to see how things go then I’ll prob do brakes and suspension first. Let me know what disks are like read a good few reviews saying they was good

There was meant to be laughing faces after the part about kicking you out btw just noticed it didn’t work. Bet it’s quick at stage 2! I used mrc for my golf r and was really good that’s who I’ll be using if I map mine. Car looks good. I’m waiting till next year to see how things go then I’ll prob do brakes and suspension first. Let me know what disks are like read a good few reviews saying they was good

Thanks man, I'll probably see you at knockhill at some point mate but I'll try to update with my views on the disc/pad combo after some track time!

Thanks man, I'll probably see you at knockhill at some point mate but I'll try to update with my views on the disc/pad combo after some track time!
Yeah I’ll be up at kh even if
It’s Just to watch if I’m not on myself. I’m still on the bmw track nights page so I’ll keep an eye out.

Very nice! I track my RS3, and you should strongly consider camber plates. There's no ability to adjust camber from factory, so you'll shred the outer edges of your tires in no time, even with a rear sway bar. On this car front camber makes a bigger difference that rear sway bar, if you had to choose.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Very nice! I track my RS3, and you should strongly consider camber plates. There's no ability to adjust camber from factory, so you'll shred the outer edges of your tires in no time, even with a rear sway bar. On this car front camber makes a bigger difference that rear sway bar, if you had to choose.

I’ve been looking into these as well as I ran millway ones on my m2. What ones are you using ? Dave mentioned super pro ones to go along with b16 coils etc I’ve been looking at coils with top mounts on them but not sure what to go for...

I’ve been looking into these as well as I ran millway ones on my m2. What ones are you using ? Dave mentioned super pro ones to go along with b16 coils etc I’ve been looking at coils with top mounts on them but not sure what to go for...
Haven't installed yet, but I'm going with 034 camber plates, likely 034 springs too.