Track control arm replacement.

Darashen

Reaction score
I have a 2005 1.8t s line cabriolet.

Mot is due next month and my pre inspection turned up a couple of issues on the front track control arms.

I have a split ball joint cover on the front lower arms on both sides but bushes are good.

The lower rear arm on one side is a aftermarket d2p part and has a lot of movement in the rear Bush so needs to go.

All four upper arms are starting to show splitting of the bushes with some movement.

Onto the questions. Can the lower front arm ball joint covers be renewed and if so what size covers do I need to order.

If the covers can't be replaced I am thinking of renewing all the arms in one go. I have seen kits for various prices and of very differing quality. Can anyone recommend a particular kit and has anyone had any experience of the skv kits on Ebay. Are they too cheap to be worth the effort.

The final item is the rear upper control arm outer bushes on the rear axle. I am aware the subframe needs to be lowered to replace the arm but how difficult is the outer Bush to replace with the arm in situe. I would be looking to wind the bushes out and wind replacements back in.

From what I've seen most people tend to just replace the whole arm. I can find quality (MOOG) bush replacements cheap (under £10) for the lower control arms however It doesn't seem that ball joints for the arms are readily available. Would be a shame if you're unable to just reuse the arm if nothings wrong with it :(

I ended up replacing all the front lower arms with febi bilstein arms. Only needed to drop the subframe on the drivers side. My tip to anyone else doing this is to buy a Laser 3525 ball joint separator as it was the only tool that would pop them loose. Hours on the first one then bought this and got the other three done in minutes.

Uppers may be OK for another 12 months and I don't fancy trying to get the pinch bolt out. Will see what Mr MOT man thinks of them.

I ended up replacing all the front lower arms with febi bilstein arms. Only needed to drop the subframe on the drivers side. My tip to anyone else doing this is to buy a Laser 3525 ball joint separator as it was the only tool that would pop them loose. Hours on the first one then bought this and got the other three done in minutes.

Uppers may be OK for another 12 months and I don't fancy trying to get the pinch bolt out. Will see what Mr MOT man thinks of them.

Did you get a re-alignment afterwards or notice any change in the tracking?

Been putting off doing mine because I assumed it would and paid for alignment not long ago.. which is still off :(

All the guides I studied before doing the job suggested no alignment is needed if you do not disturb the track rod end. Drives fine since doing the lower arms so I will leave alignment until I replace the front tyres after mot.