Track Car - Airbag Warning Light?

aragorn

"Stick a V8 in it!"
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Has anyone ever worked out the signal required to turn OFF the airbag warning light on a stripped out motor?

Is it a simple resistance/voltage based signal that i'd simply need to replicate, or is it some sort of data channel that sends an encoded OK signal?

depends what ECU you're working with,

On my ME3.8, I searched everywhere and couldn't figure out how you could turn it off, so I stripped the clocks down, pulled the face off, and stuck a few layers of black tape over the back of the face, and it's not visable at all, even at night.

On ME7.x, apparently you can code it out, something to do with the canbus setup. Do a search on UK MKIVS for the Tab's Bora track car, they mananged to code out Airbags, and ABS so that the ECU effectively thought it never had them, so no lights come on.

The problem with resistors, is that you'd need 8 of them!

Drivers side: Wheel, Seat, Front belt, rear belt

Passengers side: Dash, Seat, Front belt, Rear belt.

When I stripped my A3 all those points had yellow airbag plugs on them, the belt plugs being linked into the pre tensioning system.

I wouldnt be wanting to resistor the plugs. I'd want to remove the airbag ECU and all its wiring completely and generate the "OK" signal the ECU would have typically sent the cluster.

I think removing the LED (or masking it like you've done) is probably going to be the simplest way forward.

I've removed the ECU also, not sure how complex it would be to generate an OK signal across the plug though, it's a fairly large plug, so I'd imagine it's too tricky. a good number of pins on that one!

I chose not to desolder the LED as I wasn't sure what kind of knock on effect it might have, so went with tape.

Depending on ECU model, I reckon decoding it would be the best bet, but if it's ME3x that's not an option

Theres only one pin between the Airbag ECU and the dash cluster.

ME3 is a type of engine ECU. It doesnt have anything to do with the Cluster or Airbag ECU's. Later cars have canbus however which is probably what you mean. My A4 doesnt have canbus, so thats not an option.

I'll need to get round to dismantling the cluster and see whats feasible.