TQS track car project - extremely slow progress

I don't have any other tags than the one on brown plug, but all the wiring looks the same to yours.
Number on the tag is 8D2 971 074 BA
ECU number 4D0 906 018C
AJL diagram I have says it is "From 1999 model year, 8D-X-200001"
Will be best to pull the ecu plugs out on the car and see what it is compared to AWT one. Hope it is as you say.

slightly later harness than mine but looks the same.

Looking at the diagrams, i think the following mods need made to the orange plug:

Pin 1 (red/green) removed, and connected to a new 20A fuse in the ECU box.
Pin 5 (black/blue) removed, and placed in pin 8 location,
Pin 8 (green/yellow) removed, and placed in pin 1 location,
Pin 4 (black/blue) removed and placed in pin 5 location,

then on the white connector;

Pin 2 (red/green) removed and connected to the other side of the new 20A fuse.

The colors wont line up afterwards, but the functions of the wires will be correct.

It'll work without changing all that, so long as you give pin 4 an ignition live, but IMO its probably better to reconfigure it properly as the power is routed slightly differently due to the ME7.5 having its own power relay.

Theres also some quirks, like the AWT harness wont plug into the crank and knock sensors from the AEB/AJL. Best thing is probably to swap the connector housings from the old loom. Apparently the pins inside are the same, so just need to repin into the older connector housing.

The alternator plug is different, and the starter loom is missing from my AWT loom, instead having a plug thats supposed to connect to it rather than being part of the loom like the AJL. I'll probably swap the alterantor plug for the older type, but i think i'll try and get a matching connector for the starter plug, as its annoying having the old layout.

Wouldn't it be easier just to splice & solder wires for crank and knock sensors and use the ones on engine?

Yep thats what i meant above, you dont need to splice though, apparently you can just pop the pins out of the connector and fit them into the older style connector. I might try doing that later on, i've got a few spare looms i can use for parts.

Reactions: slepy
Yep thats what i meant above, you dont need to splice though, apparently you can just pop the pins out of the connector and fit them into the older style connector. I might try doing that later on, i've got a few spare looms i can use for parts.
Did you have a look at the red plug? According to my diagram, there are quite a few differences.
Could you send me the ajl diagram you have?

The red plug is in two parts, a 3pin bit and a 15pin bit. The 3 pin bits are identical (Crash Signal from Airbag ECU, and Reverse Light)

My list for the 15 pin section of the red plug looks like this:

AWT
1: Pin 74 on ECU to ??
3: To C12 on Climate Control (AC idle up)
14: Canbus High
15: Canbus Low

AJL
3: To C12 on Climate Control (AC idle up)
7: ECU Pin 5 to ??

The car doesnt need the canbus wires, so those just go unused. The climate control is the same, the other two dont seem to go anywhere from what i can see. The diagram shows a connection from a pin on the ECU, up to the terminal and thats it.

Are there others i've missed? Will go back over it again.

Just had a look at mine.
Strange that there is nothing more on the AJL diagram.
And the Pin 7 on AJL matches nothing on AWT. There is no wire in pin 7 on my awt plug.
Is it just a wire going from ECU to nowhere?
Will pull the AJL plugs out tomorrow to compare.

AWT:
J104 - ABS with EDL control unit (pin13) -> red plug pin 1 -> ECU pin 74
A122 Connection (low bus), in dash panel wiring harness -> red plug pin 14 -> ECU pin 158
A121 Connection (high bus), in dash panel wiring harness -> Red plug pin 15 -> ECU pin 160
J255- Climatronic control unit pin 12 -> red plug pin 3 -> ECU pin 41

AJL:
Red plug Pin 7 from ECU to ??
E87- To C12 Control and display unit for air conditioner -> Red plug pin 3 -> ECU

ahha, pin 7 is also related to the ABS system, its on the ABS diagram and mentions T15m/7, however it says it only applies to models with ASR/TCS... Same with the connection on the AWT loom.

TQS doesnt have ASR/TCS so the ABS connections arent required.

AJL doesnt use canbus so those wont be there, all makes sense to me, theres no issue.

That makes sense. Thank you. Will be ripping it all out after track day. I'm sure the starter loom can be found from breaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll probably try a scrappy for the plug and just make the starter loom. I could order the plug new, its only 4 quid for the shell, but they want 25quid for 10 pins and you cant order them seperately.

Failing that, i might just cut it off and fit a more standard connector like a superseal.

Last edited:
Yeh thats it. Theres another wire that goes to the alternator, which on the B5 is part of that loom. Appears to be missing on that passat loom though. Must be seperate on the passat :/

Does anyone have diff seals part numbers please? Want to fit the new diff this weekend so might change them as well.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

016409399B x 2

Spent a bit of time this evening with the wiring harness, repinned the power cables as described above, need to sort out a fuse holder for the extra wire.

Removed the pins from the crank sensor plug and fitted them to the old style connector housing from my spare loom. Proper fiddly job. The knock sensor connectors are not the same, pins are much smaller, so i'll need to get some 06B knock sensors.

Thanks!

Not easier to just cut and solder the wires?

perhaps, but trying to avoid soldered connections where possible, they're not ideal in an automotive environment where vibrations etc are present.

My better half bought a car today. Little brother for my girl :)
Now we can open 1.8t club :)

FWD. has sline badge on :/ Needs some work, mainly suspension but overall a clean car.

AUM. She does like 3k miles a year so no need for quattro :)

yep. Main thing is the bigger turbo fitted as standard. The 190hp B6 A4's got the bigger turbo too, and those also map up to 230hp with relative ease.

Decent downpipe and exhaust, intercooler and a good map and you'll see 230hp easily enough.

Probably get most of the way there with just the downpipe and exhaust.

Managed to avoid rain and fitted snub mount yesterday.

Also, got robbed alpine cd player as my gf decided she needs it more in a3 :(

Now need to rewire boost gauge power wires and find some replacement radio for journeys to track. Will fit just front speakers and get rid of bose and wiring.

Also ordered timing kit, new oil cooler and service parts for A3. Hope it doesn't rain this weekend. It is my last one, before trackday next month, I can do some work on both cars.

Spent all Saturday working on A3. Drained and flushed coolant,changed the timing belt, water pump and oil cooler together with oil and filters. What a bitch of a job it is to do timing on transverse engine. Engine mount sitting between the belt was a shocker. Took me an hour before I managed to align the tensioner to be able to bolt it on. My hands look like after fighting a bear!

Didn't have time to do any work on a4, so will have to do everything day before the trackday :(

After a bit of over a year having a new fuel filter in the glovebox, I finally decided to change it. It was all going well until I had to fit the tank back. 3 holes aligned perfectly, but 4th one was way out. Took me quite some time but managed it in the end.

Is this a factory fitted filter ?

Also, while I was crawling under the car, I took on fitting the ecs diff mount.
Before:

After:

Also, Do you guys know if the hazard and rear fog switches can be replaced by a normal flip switch?

With the issues I had last year at cadwell with wheels rubbing on wings, I bought a while ago the arch tool. Was still early when I finished with the mount so decided to roll the fronts today. Oh behold a surprise. Holes on the tool are 13mm ***. By the time I re-drilled 14mm holes it started chucking down. And didn't stop since. Hope for some decent weather tomorrow or I will be rolling them in rain! Still need to reconnect the boost gauge, check the seat, the pads and change wheels before cadwell on sunday morning.

Rolled the arches and noticed that a lot of paint on the inside rim was flaking already. Wings starting to get rusty. Something to sort out winter time. Will see if rolling them makes any difference tomorrow. Coilover tools packed just in case I need to raise it.

Also, removed the bose amp, cd changer and tv module. Front bumper bar also got a bit "slimmer". Wheels on, suspension checked. Brakes still ok but have a set of pads in box just in case. All packed and ready.

Obviously it was raining all day so got well soaked.

IF you do break I'll be interested in a few parts

Same here! Shame you're selling it, but the sensible head always wins. I'd opt for the new house too! As nice as the b5 is, you can't live in it!

Thats a shame i was enjoying reading your thread, but like above.... if you decide to break it i'd be very interested in the front and back brake set-up and suspension & uprights / control arms.

TQS went for an MOT today. Passed with not even one advisory Around two months left in her life

Yeah. It's been on ebay almost two months now but everyone just asking about parts. Moving house in September where I will have a garage so will be parting it then.

I'll have cash ready mate

Not the happiest update in my thread

I guess it is my last post in this thread. It has been a lot of hours working on her and a lot of blood spilled. Today she was picked up and will be crushed tomorrow morning.

A sad sight bud

Happened really quickly. Called a local scrapper yesterday evening and he came to pick it up before I left for work today. Just managed to take all the seals and grill off and it went