tqs running rich

Lowfield

Reaction score
I have owned my tqs for a couple of years now.
Went on the mot history checker the other week and noticed (historically) it was having trouble passing first time on emissions.
It just crept in for me the last couple of times thankfully.
Looking through my paperwork which came with the car I see 2 x replacement cats in the 3 years prior to my ownership. Running too rich destroying cat?
The car was chipped in 2006 by AMD.

So ... I got the vagcom out to look at intake air mass on tickover which is 2.64g/s ... Low?

Group 4 Idle Speed Stabilisation
Intake Air Mass (idle/learned) 1.95g/s. The specification is -1.1 to 1.1g/s.
This was the only thing that was out of parameter.
Intake Air Mas (load/ learned) was 0.00g/s. Has this been coded out me thinks.

My question is 2 fold.
Is my maf sensor goosed or.. are the above learned sums chip related?

Thanks in advance
Simon

what are the fuel trims showing?

You can see on the MOT slip if its running rich or not. Last time mine went thru lambda was exactly 1.000, ie perfect, but it had failed due to the cat simply being ****. Aftermarket ones are often pretty crap and dont last long.

What block are fuel trims?
I only have blocks 1 to 27. 32 is N/A.
Block 9 shows lamdba regulation fluctuating between -3 and +2 with learned addituve at 0.8% to 1.6%
Lamdba correction value 0.99 block 7
Air intake mas 10.5g/s at 3000 r/min

Mot fast idle co 0.28 hc 10 lambda 1.040 fail

Second fast idle co 0.28 hc 18 lambda 1.021 pass

Natural idle co 0.12

its in a wonky place on the TQS you just have to flick thru. The learned additive is one of them and sounds fine. the other is called multi or partial. Dont reset the faultcodes when you go in to view it though, as resetting the codes clears out the trims and resets them to zero, and it takes a while for them to re-learn.

Your MOT figures suggest lambda is a little high, which means its a wee bit lean. If the trims look spot on then its a bit strange.

The high CO figure indicates the cat isnt working. I guess all you can do it fit a cat and see what happens.

So it's the cat then. Smells sickly rich at the tailpipes. Cheers Kev