TQS Downpipe Removal

NineNails

Proud sponsor of the snack food industry
Reaction score
I've decided (coz I'm skint) to repair my exhaust rather than replace. I can get a new downpipe from ebay for £48 and am gonna faff about with some repair hangers.
First hurdle is downpipe removal. It looks a right pain in the butt! Which is the easiest? Take out the cat with it still attached? or can you get on the bolts ok from underneath? Is it as much of a nightmare as it looks?
Cheers

You can get on the bolts from underneath with a short wobbler and a couple of extensions (one being a wobbler so theres more angle with the socket and wobbler adapter) if the nuts/bolts look rusted to hell them you may be best off taking it out with the cat but it can be fiddly i find it easier pulling it out from up top rather than underneath. You need a lot of patience and a steady hand if your not taking the cat off as space is limited to get the nuts/bolts back in.

Why not do a middlebox delete as thats pobably the most restrictive part of the exhaust after the cat, i think all you need is a meter of 60mm pipe and a hanger should give a nice sound without loosing the stock tailpipes !!

Removing that centre box sure would solve a problem. I found this video Exhaust silencer delete (Audi A4 turbo) - YouTube
I don't have access to a welder so would it be possible to do with clamps does anyone think?
What diameter is the standard exhaust pipe (internal/external dia)?? Could I do it with a piece of matching diameter solid pipe and some of those sleeve clamps rather than that flexi stuff and welding in the vid?
Sorry for all the q's but whatever I do I need to know I have all the right bits for it all to fit together coz once it's in bits I'm screwed if I can't complete the job.
Cheers

Im pretty sure its 60mm best thing to do is check with a vernier caliper just to be on the safe side clamps wouldnt hurt for a diy job so long as there decent ones welding would be more professional but for a diy clamps will do i wouldnt use that flexi stuff it would just look tacky and probably cause the exhaust to flop around abit and possible knock on something. Other option would be to get a quote from a exhaust place see how much the would charge it doesnt even need to be stainless steel mild steel will do the trick !!

I am tempted to give it to a garage to do tbh mate. That downpipe still looks a nightmare to get at. I'm sure I've read the outside dia of the qts pipe is 56mm or is that inside dia. Do you know of anywhere in the Bolton area that would be willing to do it Brad? I've not been up here too long. That middle box looks like it weighs a ton!

The rear box to mid box pipe is 60mm OD, the pipe from the mid box to the downpipe, and the downpipe itself is 55mm, which is far too small.

Use 60 or 63mm pipe if your going to start making up your own parts.