Tqs Clutch Swap

Chriscooke

Clueless!
Reaction score
Website
www.sxoc.com
The clutch on my TQS is on its way out, how hard are they to swap? With the car being a Quattro I'd imagine its a ballache but hoping that the longitudinal layout will help?

Is there a how to guide anywhere?

What clutch kit would should I look at? Do I need to change anything else while we're at it?

If your doing it on the driveway, and happen to have an engine crane, pull the engine out and leave the transmission alone. MUCH easier/safer pulling the engine in a nice controlled manner than trying to heave a gearbox out in a 2ft gap under the car. Also saves all the cocking around removing the exhaust, driveshafts, uprgihts, propshaft etc etc.

Look at the 240mm 1Z/S2 setup.

Can be done fairly cheap.

The options are stock clutch and DMF or valeo solid conversion but then its where to source just the clutch if and when it goes again in the future or a TTV flywheel with S4/RS4 clutch similar to ECS tuning setup. Depends on what you have planned for the car in the future.

Things to do

Replace input shaft seal
Replace rear main
Replace needle bearing in crank (if fitted not to sure our cars have them)
Top up the cv/prop joints with grease

If pulling engine might be worth while doing some of the fiddly bits like

Oil pump (if not already done)
crankcase breather pipes just for abit of a refresh from the old perished rubbery ones.
Timing belt/water pump maybe ??

I'm not looking to up the power, is their not an oem style replacement? Do these have dual mass flywheels? if they do mine is silent so can it be reused?

What is a 1z/s2 setup?

Thanks for the help and sorry for being such a noob :(

For a stock car you could just throw a new stock clutch in.

Yes they have dual mass. They can be reused, but people often replace them on the thinking that while the new clutch might last another 100k, the old DMF might fail in 10 or 20 or 30k and you'll have to pull it all back out and replace the flywheel.

1Z/S2 is a hybrid clutch using a solid flywheel from an older audi 4 cylinder engine, plus the clutch from an S2. Needs a bit of machining on the flywheel, but can be put together for less money than a new DMF and stock clutch, and is bigger so can take more power.