1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TQS 300bhp internals/turbo

John417 Aug 10, 2018

1. John417

John417 Cactus Green A4 B5 TQS

Hey guys , so as stated in my other thread i bought a leon cupra r that's running around 260bhp and having driven that for a few days , jumping back in my tqs it now feels seriously underpowered obviously so my previous plans for 250bhp in the tqs are now changed as having 260bhp in a lighter car i want more in the tqs so 300bhp should make it pretty rapid considering the drivetrain losses due to quattro , now i have read many threads , i know the major things like the internals need to be upgraded around the 300bhp mark , the turbo choices , the fact that these cars need to be chiped which is harder to get then a remap but i want to have a specific mod list that i can slowly start to buy , i've got a couple of things already in the garage like forge dv , better coils , couple of sillicone hoses etc but none of the big stuff like turbo , injectors etc. I know the k04 turbo tops up at around 280bhp so im thinking the gt28 is the way to go but isnt that too big? I mean i dont want a huge turbo lag , would a hybrid k04 be better in regards of the turbo lag? Also what internals are the ones to go for? Am i correct that its just the rods that need to be upgraded or is there something else? I want to be buying these things slowly and when i've got everything i can get it all done at once rather then installing bits and pieces every now and then.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Bradderz_1988

Bradderz_1988 Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Look in too doing ME7 ecu and harness conversion for ease of mapping through the obd port as you can add launch and flat **** too and is a wide-band ecu

Turbo go for something along the lines of the gen2 GTX2867R from owen developments

4. Bradderz_1988

Bradderz_1988 Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Rods need upgrading around 280ftlb and make sure you go rifle drilled

Also get the valvetrain uprated with some supertech goodies

You could also look into doing a 2008cc stroker conversion if your gunna build the engine

5. John417

Thanks mate , i did think about the ecu swap from an a3 as it was mentioned to me before already but im a bit scared to be honest like what exactly would have to be done? I understand the immo would have to be either disabled or reprogrammed but what about the other things is it just a question of the immo working correctly ? I wouldnt want to mess something up obviously. As with the turbo i've read on the garrett website that its capable of 550bhp is that correct? If so then the turbo lag must be pretty big with this one isnt it?

6. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Personally i'd be using the K04-064. its good for 350+ and keeps the engine nice and responsive. Its also much cheaper route than the Garrett. If your going for a garett i would suggest the 67 is too big, go with the GTX2863R.

Engine wise, it really depends on your outlook. For me, i'm running 280hp and 290ftlb on a stock 180k engine. Its just not worth the money rebuilding the engine with upgraded parts. Obvisouly once you get upto around 300lbft its a sort of danger zone, but its also a complete lottery. Some engines will just last, prawn ran his track car at 350hp for yonks on a stock high mileage engine..., and others have failed with less power. If mine were to blow up, a new engine is a few hundred quid.

A K04-064, adaptor plate and the associated bits to get it all fitted to the engine might cost a grand. Assuming you've already got a decent exhaust and intercooler. If not then add those on as well. Then tuning on top (and potentially ECU swap to ME7.5)

If you start down the engine upgrade route, you could easily pour 2-3k into the engine block, and thats on top of the turbo. It just takes the whole thing to a whole new scale.

So my view is fit the K04-064, get it tuned conservatively by someone good and enjoy.

John417 likes this.
  7. John417

Thanks Kevin , i did think about the K04-064 but i remember these are pretty hard to find and BBT never replied to my msg's about the adaptor plate but i guess that is the best route to take cause i dont want a huge turbo lag and obviously dont want to spend more then i have to for the amount of power i want. As with the internals to be honest i trust my engine would be one of those that run fine even on the limit as the engine is the most reliable part on my car not once in 6 years i had a problem with it nothing at all so i might start up on stock engine and then after some time upgrade the rods so that i dont have to do a ton of things at once , i was thinking at first that it would make more sense to just buy an s4 and get it remapped but then again an S4 comes with bigger running cost's and a nice condition S4 cost's over £5k plus having to get to know the car again , taking the risk of it having hidden faults where as my tqs is with me for 6 years i know of every single thing it needs and trust the car already.
    I found a good website today with all the things needed for the K04 064 upgrade with part numbers , are all of them really needed? If so i'll just start buying them slowly. https://18t-tuning.co.uk/turbo-options/k04-064-advice/k04-064-fitting-guide/
    Cheers.