TPMS - A3 2012 - Coding Issues? VCDS users please check!

Hello,

Your problem is on the DIS software. The one's that enables successfully the TPMS are those built in to the 2011 cars (Delivered since july of 2010, i suppose).

Sorry for bad news. I do had the same problem, therefore i retrofited the TPMS button.

By the way, the 4c module are no need, thats for the other system of TPMS.

Regars.

Pretty sure the dash isn't the issue as I have enabled the menu, I've borrowed Cruisers video as this is exactly what mine is doing...

My ABS module has accepted the tpms coding in bytes 16&17 and the tpms via dis coding, can't help but feel I'm at a bit of a dead end!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure the dash isn't the issue as I have enabled the menu, I've borrowed Cruisers video as this is exactly what mine is doing...

My ABS module has accepted the tpms coding in bytes 16&17 and the tpms via dis coding, can't help but feel I'm at a bit of a dead end!

Yes, i do know. Mine does exactly like yours. This is the simple way to explain that doesn't work. Should the problem be at the 09 module, probably. That does this mod to expensive when the other way to do it is a push button that you find for about 20 euros and needing plus a wire and the VCDS.

Hmm I'll have a look at the BCM coding then, the one in the car was replaced to allow a fog retrofit and is newer than the dash. I'm determined to get this working without the button and two blanks that I'd subsequently need!

My car is a 2009 S3 and i'm having to reset the TPMS via VCDS which can be a pain in the ****.................:( Where are people getting the TPMS button and loom from TPS.................any help would be great guys.....

Cheers Dan

Reactions: Artimus
Hmm I'll have a look at the BCM coding then, the one in the car was replaced to allow a fog retrofit and is newer than the dash. I'm determined to get this working without the button and two blanks that I'd subsequently need!

The way of doing this work is make the 09 (central electric) establish the bridge between the 03 (ABS) module and the 17 (instruments). If you have an recent 09 then, the problem are in the 03

My car is a 2009 S3 and i'm having to reset the TPMS via VCDS which can be a pain in the ****.................:( Where are people getting the TPMS button and loom from TPS.................any help would be great guys.....

Cheers Dan

Don't understand what you really want to say! Need help with what to get and schemes to switch it all? That's it?

Cheers Dan
there is the full set of switches on ebay £40

Ordered TPMS switch from TPS, £13 can't really complain....I'll make my own loom up......I fitted tpms on my old mk5 golf so must be very similar......:)

I used info from this thread and summarised it here, got it working today. Hope its helpful.

Used VCDS to recode and got TPMS working

Heres how

You have to code 3 modules
17 - Instruments
03 - ABS
19 - Can bus gateway

First
17 - Instruments
- Security Access
— 13861
- Do it!

17 - Instruments
- Coding
-- Added +16 to the first 4 digits. (xx??)
--- Do It!

17 - Instruments
- Adaption
-- Channel 037 -> Read
--Change xx?x to 1
--- Test
——Save

That activated TPMS in the DIS

03 - ABS long coding helper

Byte 16 - there is no tick box for bit 1 so change xxxxxx?x from 0 to 1 you should see code change to 3F

Byte 16 - tick bit 2

Byte 17 - tick bit 2

close and do it!

19 - CAN gateway long coding byte 1 bit 4

Now run a system check and clear any codes.

When you turn on the TMPS tire warning light shows with the ESP etc. then check the menu in the DIS you should see this

Make sure the tyres are at correct pressure then reset the system

confirm yes

Drive 100kms for system to learn values - happy driving

Great isn't it to see it working as it should......done it now on the 2 S3's i've owned..... however.....

Can't do it on the RS3 as the ABS module long coding cannot be accessed by VAG-COM only by SVM (Audi)

Great isn't it to see it working as it should......done it now on the 2 S3's i've owned..... however.....

Can't do it on the RS3 as the ABS module long coding cannot be accessed by VAG-COM only by SVM (Audi)

Yes, you kind of wonder why this isn't on as standard, just Audi scamming buyers for a 40 quid extra. Unlucky with the RS3.

When it says "17 - Instruments
- Coding
--- Do It!"

Should I literally add 16 on the end to make it 6 digits or addition? ie 1234 + 16 =1250 ??

Sorry my first go at coding.

When it says "17 - Instruments
- Coding
--- Do It!"

Should I literally add 16 on the end to make it 6 digits or addition? ie 1234 + 16 =1250 ??

Sorry my first go at coding.

Yes, that's it.

Okay, well first attempt was looking great till I got to

17 - Instruments
- Adaption
-- Channel 037 -> Read
--Change xx?x to 1
--- Test
——Save

It prefered x?xx for TPMS thus 1001 changing to 1101

Then

"03 - ABS long coding helper

Byte 16 - there is no tick box for bit 1 so change xxxxxx?x from 0 to 1 you should see code change to 3F

Byte 16 - tick bit 2

Byte 17 - tick bit 2

close and do it!"

I didn't see 3F and from there on it all went pear-shaped, as 19 - CAN gateway long coding byte 1 bit 4 wasn't obvious on what to tick / adjust.

It was in my DIS and wanted to set pressures etc but declined to store them and kept TPMS in amber on the DIS with an amber tyre caption on the left hand dial.

I took photos as I went along and reversed the steps and reverted back to pre TPMS (for now).

PS my ABS is Address 03: ABS Brakes (J104) Labels: 1K0-907-379-60EC1F.clbPart No

Last edited:
After some comments i have revised this method (Source: used info from this thread and summarised it here)

Hope its helpful.

Heres how

17 - Instruments
03 - ABS
19 - Can bus gateway

First
17 - Instruments
- Security Access
— 13861
- Do it!

17 - Instruments
- Coding
-- Add (as in addition) +16 to the first 4 digits. (xx??xxxx) so if it is 0024xxxx it changes to 0040xxxx
--- Do It!

17 - Instruments
- Adaption
-- Channel 037 -> Read
should show 1001 then (Note you will get a help box here which shows you the right code for your module)
--Change x?xx to 1 (On mine)
— Test - should see 1101 then
——Save

Byte 16 - tick bit 2 first see 3C in long code then

Byte 16 - there is no tick box for bit 1 so in the binary box change xxxxxx?x from 0 to 1 you should see code change from 3C to 3F

Byte 17 - tick bit 2

close and do it!

If at any time box pops up asking you to confirm the settings go with the settings you have inputted and don’t let VCDS change them to anything else!!!!

If you don’t do this next step the system throws an error code - incorrectly coded, so just tick it and save

19 - CAN gateway long coding byte 1 bit 4 or
- Installation List
-- Tick 4C Tyre Pressure II

Now run a system check and clear any codes.

Reactions: samuelh_888 and Phil-1
After some comments i have revised this method, now added pictures (Source: used info from this thread and summarised it here)

Hope its helpful.

Heres how

17 - Instruments
03 - ABS
19 - Can bus gateway

First
17 - Instruments
- Security Access
— 13861
- Do it!

17 - Instruments
- Coding
-- Add (as in addition) +16 to the first 4 digits. (xx??xxxx) so if it is 0024xxxx it changes to 0040xxxx
--- Do It!

17 - Instruments
- Adaption
-- Channel 037 -> Read
should show 1001 then (Note you will get a help box here which shows you the right code for your module)
——Save

Byte 16 - there is no tick box for bit 1 so in the binary box change xxxxxx?x from 0 to 1 you should see code change from 3C to 3F

Byte 17 - tick bit 2

close and do it!

If at any time box pops up asking you to confirm the settings go with the settings you have inputted and don’t let VCDS change them to anything else!!!!

If you don’t do this next step the system throws an error code - incorrectly coded, so just tick it and save

- Installation List

Now run a system check and clear any codes - shows my modules also

ABS

Instruments & CAN Bus

You will now see the Tyre Pressure option in the DIS

Check tyre pressures and reset

Reactions: RedDejavu and AK47UK
After some comments i have revised this method, now added pictures (Source: used info from this thread and summarised it here)

Hope its helpful.

Heres how

17 - Instruments
03 - ABS
19 - Can bus gateway

First
17 - Instruments
- Security Access
— 13861
- Do it!

17 - Instruments
- Coding
--- Do It!

17 - Instruments
- Adaption
-- Channel 037 -> Read
——Save

Byte 17 - tick bit 2

close and do it!

- Installation List

Now run a system check and clear any codes - shows my modules also

ABS

Instruments & CAN Bus

You will now see the Tyre Pressure option in the DIS

Check tyre pressures and reset

Your car was a 2011 S3 too wasn't it mechanic? Will be busting this out on mine if it allows me. Just a novice question: how does it detect a drop in pressure without sensors? or is that the case, it has pressure monitoring but just not enabled? Also on the S3 how can we reset it is it purely by VCDS?

The system works on the speed the wheel turns measured by the ABS wheel speed sensors. When you reset it the system learns the speed of the wheels at the correct pressure, when the tyre goes down the speed of the wheel will change and give an alarm. You need to drive for 100km / 60 miles for the system to "learn" the values, then it will tell you which wheel is going down in the DIS.

This system isn't as sensitive as one with pressure sensors but does the job well enough.has lost pressure.

You reset the pressure through the DIS on the dash, select menu and tyre pressure becomes a new option and allows you to reset the pressures in the system.

Spot on! An just to confirm your 2011 S3 had the module 1AT (esp ready for TPMS and HHA)?

In the process of doing the TPMS and HHA - looked on the data label and mines 1AT. When you go into control module. 17 instruments. After doing the security access code. Then coding... I'm getting +16 too but which number does this need to be applied on? Software coding? Workshop coding? Importer number or equipment? I presume equipment but rather be safe than sorry?
Cheers

Thanks for posting your module information mechanic, that's a great help :)

Reactions: mechanic69
Ok just used VCDS to install the TPMS. Followed the procedure to the T, and when I carried out a scan after completing the setup the first fault which appeared (which wasn't on scan before I started) was 19 - Can gateway - status malfunction... Please see picture attached...

Module couldn't be read. So turned ignition off/on and tried again, this time allowed me to enter the module and clear DTC faults. Carried out scan, no faults found. I tried to store tyre pressures but it wouldn't allow me to do it however from your thread I presume you have to cover the mileage before you can store the pressures set points?

Module couldn't be read. So turned ignition off/on and tried again, this time allowed me to enter the module and clear DTC faults. Carried out scan, no faults found. I tried to store tyre pressures but it wouldn't allow me to do it however from your thread I presume you have to cover the mileage before you can store the pressures set points?

Make sure you tick the 4c II in the can bus options. yo uphold be able to store pressures straight away. it then takes 100kms to store the needed info.

I definitely ticked that option. But just not allowing me to store. No errors on dash either.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403467529466610

Ok so I've managed to store the readings now. Was being a div and missed a bit. All stored however only fault that occurs and will NOT clear is 09 central electrics (picture attached)

- looks as though the fault code is related to me faffing around with the ignition on/ doors open... Will attempt to clear tomorrow without the extra faff!

Thanks for a decent procedure (note to users: read... Then read again)

Last edited:
View attachment 35466

Ok so I've managed to store the readings now. Was being a div and missed a bit. All stored however only fault that occurs and will NOT clear is 09 central electrics (picture attached)

- looks as though the fault code is related to me faffing around with the ignition on/ doors open... Will attempt to clear tomorrow without the extra faff!

Thanks for a decent procedure (note to users: read... Then read again)

Glad you got it sorted, you know t works when it lets you store the tyre pressures

All,

Trying to activate TPMS on my MY2011 car (built Dec 2010) and all works until I get to this step ...

When I try to change the value there is no change from 3C to 3F it just ignores the change and remains at 3C.

I have the 1AT ABS module - TPMS appears in the DIS saying 'TPMS Malfunction'. I didn't bother completing the rest of the steps as i assumed they wouldnt work without the above coding change being accepted.

Any ideas?

Thx.

All,

Trying to activate TPMS on my MY2011 car (built Dec 2010) and all works until I get to this step ...

When I try to change the value there is no change from 3C to 3F it just ignores the change and remains at 3C.

I have the 1AT ABS module - TPMS appears in the DIS saying 'TPMS Malfunction'. I didn't bother completing the rest of the steps as i assumed they wouldnt work without the above coding change being accepted.

Any ideas?

Thx.

Your binary code should end 01 when you open the helper, click in the binary box and change the last two to 11 then click out of the box and it should change. Try exiting/save and reopen to see if it has saved, should be 11 when you go back in. Also check if all your modules match with mine as per the thread photos in this thread.

I tried this on my MY09 with the 1AT ABS module and it wouldn't let me do it. :-(

There's quite a few threads on the my09 not being able to be coded without the reset button mounted in the dash, try a search as a guy on the forum supplies switches and repair wires to sort this issue. If your module part numbers match mine above then it should work

Your binary code should end 01 when you open the helper, click in the binary box and change the last two to 11 then click out of the box and it should change. Try exiting/save and reopen to see if it has saved, should be 11 when you go back in. Also check if all your modules match with mine as per the thread photos in this thread.

I'm actually using your steps as the guide but noticed this in my VCDS log for my ABS module ...

Address 03: ABS Brakes (J104) Labels: 1K0-907-379-60EC1F.clb
Part No SW: 1K0 907 379 BD HW: 1K0 907 379 BD
Component: ESP MK60EC1 H31 0108

Now my log book does show 1AT and I assumed it meant the ABS system was that version but I could be wrong ...

I'm actually using your steps as the guide but noticed this in my VCDS log for my ABS module ...

Address 03: ABS Brakes (J104) Labels: 1K0-907-379-60EC1F.clb
Part No SW: 1K0 907 379 BD HW: 1K0 907 379 BD
Component: ESP MK60EC1 H31 0108

Now my log book does show 1AT and I assumed it meant the ABS system was that version but I could be wrong ...

Looks like your module is wrong version mate unlucky, mines an s3, what's yours?

Right tried the binary coding again today and it seems to have worked ... my binary code ended in 00 so once changed to 10 the Hex value changed from 3C to 3E. DIS shows tyre pressure option so I'll store and check tomorrow. Fingers crossed ...

I wasn't actually removing the last two digits and re-entering but selecting the single digit to change and over-writing it with the new value if this makes sense. User error!!