Towbars S3

S3_MCD

Reaction score
looks like im going to fit a tow bar to my S3... dont worry a detachable one, so nobody will know!!
dont know how high the ball is going to sit and cant seem to find any quoted stats.

Anybody got any pics

Mine has half a detachable on it already... also has info on the towbar in the owners manual.
May be worth a check, you might already have half the bar.

I wouldn't put a tow bar anywhere near my car...

Im looking for one of these to tow my go kart. How much are they and wheres the cheapest place to get one.

How do you know if you already got half the detachable bit

It'll protect your rear bumper from anyone wanting to accidently hit you.

Yeah and if you do leave it on permanently it'll look ugly as sin, I personally wouldn't tow anything with my car...

I leave the second car for the towing job...A Landrover Discovery!

I'm sure an S3 would be capable of towing small things, but i wouldn't trust my clutch to last long!

Thanks guys! not really the pics I was looking for... anybody?!?!

Was planning to tow with the family car, but shock horror it wont, the S3 however will... 1600kg to be precise, infact that 85% tow wieght of a 6 berth caravan - yup no more holidays in Mauritus kids and school holidays!!

Have to say I think it will look a little strange, and I'm sure plod wont be able to resist pulling me :)

I'm sure plod wont be able to resist pulling me
****** hell, friendly Police around your area, I at least hope it's a female!!!

I think that all towbars should be the same height from the ground, so have a look for heights from the ground and if you're on standrad suspension it'll give you and idea.
I rang an indepentand company a while back and was told that the S3 was a ''non towing'' vehicle. But I do know someone who had a towbar on an S3 and it was a 1.8T Quattro it was labeled to come from.
As for your clutch, it'll be fine. City driving will be the hardest on a clutch.

****** hell, friendly Police around your area, I at least hope it's a female!!!

I think that all towbars should be the same height from the ground, so have a look for heights from the ground and if you're on standrad suspension it'll give you and idea.
I rang an indepentand company a while back and was told that the S3 was a ''non towing'' vehicle. But I do know someone who had a towbar on an S3 and it was a 1.8T Quattro it was labeled to come from.
As for your clutch, it'll be fine. City driving will be the hardest on a clutch.

"non towing vehicle", now that'll be a concern esp when pulling a 1200kg 6 berth caravan!, nobody has told me that before, also thought that the tow bar was a factory fit option.

Anybody?