towbar wiring

cabriolet

Reaction score
any fitters out there tell me if i can just wire straight into the rear lights or does the dis go loopy

Ive wired mine straight into the light cluster. I did on my last S3 too. Had no problems at all. Only when the wiring was wrong the trailer end. Even then the dash just tells you that a bulbs out. Your supposed to use a relay in there but ive never bothered. I tow every other weekend with no probs and have for the last 4 years.

should use a 'smart' relay as this will stop warning lights coming on the dash, for the money they cost its worth fitting one

and to answer your first part of the question, yes, im a towbar fitter

the kit i bought plugged stright into the cluster board and then i had to run a perm live to the fuse box, and ive had no probs with DIS.

you'll more likely find that the plug and play ones have a control unit with them, rather than a seperate smart relay, hence the need for the live feed wire

its mainly down to cost that most ppl tend not to go for the plug and play option, even tho when you do the maths, parts + labour theres not much in it