1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Towbar suggestions/recommendations for A3 (8V) Cabriolet

smokeymike Nov 11, 2014

1. smokeymike

smokeymike Registered User

I need to get a towbar fitted to carry 2 mountain bikes and have been quoted £1,000 inc VAT by my dealer to have a detachable swan neck towbar and electrics fitted. They also said I needed upgraded engine fans until I told them I was carrying bikes not pulling a 20ft caravan!
    I believe Westfalia are the OEM suppliers to Audi. Is this right and has anyone had one fitted and at what cost. Price and photo's would be appreciated as I don't really want the rear valance cutting/disturbing if at all possible. I think Witter and Thule do bars for this car but would be intersted to know which make you've all gone for. The car is a TDI non-Quattro in case of any doubt.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Depends on the engine size, as the bigger engine the higher cost according to parts system, is it a 2.0 tdi?

4. RichardT

RichardT Registered User

I know it's not answering the question, but I had a towbar factory fitted to my new A3 saloon. I am absolutely delighted. The socket fits behind a removable flap in the rear valance and the electrics just hinge down.
    The towball fits is a vertical socket right up by the boot.
    When it's not there you just cannot see any trace.
    But as it's so integrated, I would expect it to be £1000+ to fit after build.

glospete likes this.
  5. smokeymike

smokeymike Registered User

Depends on the engine size, as the bigger engine the higher cost according to parts system, is it a 2.0 tdi?

Yep, it's a 2.0TDI 150 S-Line.

6. MGrove03

MGrove03 Registered User

Do you have any pictures of it??

7. cemerson

cemerson Registered User

I posted some pics of mine aaaaages ago on some thread, a search will probably bring them up

8. RichardT

RichardT Registered User

I will try to take some photos at the weekend.