Towbar for S4

• Thread starter imported_timwiti
  • Start date
I

imported_timwiti

I was close to buying an S4 when the dealer turned round and said they could not fit a towbar.

I rang another dealer and they said they could???

Can a towbar be fitted to an S4 or not?

Presuming we're talking B6 S4 then officially no. If you do you could have insurance implications.

When I asked Audi about it they said it was that because there wasn't space under the bonnet to fit in the additional cooling that would be required to cope with the additional load.

I do believe it's been done though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

They did say something along those lines to me.

4.2 V8 engine and it needs additional cooling because of the addional starin of towing - wtf?

I'm only pulling a jetski which 2 people can pick up by hand.

Is there any structural difference between the S4 and other quattro models to which a towbar CAN be fitted?
i.e is the bumper lower or the exhaust different.

Are there holes in the chasis of the S4 where the towbar can be bolted on.

I think you're misreading the handbook. The only references I've ever seen say it can't be done.

The difference in body work is that the rear valance is all one part of the rear bumper. Of course it can be cut but it's not just an insert.

Does a detchable towbar not go down and round the bumper - swan neck type (it does on my S3) in which case it doesn't matter that the rear valance is all one part?

Audi in aberdeen still say they will fit one for 800quid

The911SC - where did you get the S4 from? - sounds a lot like one at York Audi I was interested in?
get a good deal?

Yeah but only if your going to tow a caravan at 150mph +

I think dealers are pulling your pissers guys, just tell them its for jetski's and your not some pikey Gypo who wants to pull a twin axel Elddis Typhoon up the M1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

Anybody see any reason why I can't fit a towbar then?

Don't want to cut the bumber though.

Only the ones stated above :

[1] Cooling issues
[2] Getting insured on a car that shouldn't be towing.
[3] having to cut your valance.

Cheers ScoTTy - will the valance have to be cut even for a detachable one?

If so will the cut be visable or is it underneath?

I've just bought a Bosal towbar for my A4 Avant. It's a detachable one and the rear bumper has to be cut. The cut is just to allow the swan neck towball to attach to the towbar. The cut is on the underside of the bumper and won't be noticable unless you look from underneath.

Haven't fitted it yet - I hope to fit an S4 bumper at the same time as the towbar - aint much point in taking the bumper off twice.

I seems a bit mad that the S4 can't tow for the reasons stated. I guess a light load like a jet ski will be fine - but have an accident and the insurance company will just use it as a get out - no doubt.

How much did you get the towbar for?

Let me know how you get on with the S4 bumper will you?

Have you got the right kit? In my earlier post I said B6 and it was never mentioned as wrong. Do you have a B5 S4 then?

Saw a B6 S4 saloon today with a towbar on. Dealer name on the plates was Camerons in Perth.

Nice guys - got one of my S4 Avant's there.

Well just finished fitting my Bosal Towbar and S4 rear bumper cover at the weekend. It is not a job for the faint hearted. Most of the rear interior needs to be stripped!! This includes the rear seats, boot carpet and boot side panels. This picture shows the boot stripped ready to remove the bumper.

interior_stripped.jpg

The towbar replaces the metal bumper bar. The metal bumper bar lives under the plastic bumper cover. This shows the towbar and bumper bar for comparison.

bumperbar_v_towbar.jpg

The towbar inserts deeper into the chassis than the original bumper bar. The original bumper is held on by two vertical bolts either side. The towbar again uses two bolts but the location of the inboard bolt each side moves further into the car. The chassis has holes already drilled for this move. The outboard bolt uses an existing captive nut. The inboard bolt requires a new nut. To access the nut location, the exhausts must be dropped down and the heatshields removed. This shows the towbar fitted.

towbar_in_situ.jpg

The electrical connector is on a pivot to allow it to move moved out of sight when not in use.

connector.jpg

The bumper cover has to be cut a little to allow the swan neck towball to be inserted and also to allow the connector to be pivoted down. The cut is not noticeable unless you look from underneath.

no_towbar.jpg

Anyway this shows that an S4 bumper will allow a towbar fitment at least.

Here is the towbar fitted.

towbar.jpg

And close up.

swan_neck.jpg

Wiring in the electrics takes a while also. I made sure I tested it prior to fitting all the trim back in !!

Hope this is of some interest to the forum. I would allow a full weekend for this job as it's time consuming with all the trim removal. Any questions just fire away.

Simon

Simon - thanks for this

So is the rear end of yours the same as an S4 now?

Aberdeen Audi have now changed their mind and say a towbar cannot be fitted (previously they said twice they had already fitted towbars to s4's for around 800 quid)

I got tagged up the back by a van when I was stationary at traffic lights. The metal bumper insert did it's job of deforming and absorbing the energy. It was replaced with the rear bumper and there was no other impact. With the steel towbar fitted don't you compromise this?

Also I think if you did this to an S4 you may find insurance issues as the car officially shouldn't have one.

Having said that it's a nice neat install /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Audi are finding a towbar dealer to fit the towbar for me. Surely they won't do this if it will cause insurance/warranty issues. If it does won't I be covered as they have supplied the car.

The towbar on my S3 replaces the metal bumper and its ok with insurance?

Audi dealers sometimes chip cars. It still affects your warranty though. Unless you've got stuff in writing don't assume anything.

I'll ask them for this ScoTTy thanks.

Simon - can you see the new bolt holes you mention for the towbar on the chasis without removing everything?

No bother Tim - glad you found the detail of interest. You can't see the extra bolt holes without either dropping the exhaust rear boxes down and looking up from underneath or alternatively removing the interior trim and looking from above. You worried that the S4 doesn't have them?

Scotty - hear what you're saying on the steel bumper being a lot stiffer than the original and therefore transferring the energy directly into the chassis - but there is not a lot of option if you want the towbar. Just have to hope no one tags me!!

Bummer! is there any reason why the S4 wouldn't have the holes? - the S4 does have the same chasis as other A4's?

I would have thought the chassis's was the same, why make them different? People have seen S4's with Towbars so I assume that they must have the same extra holes.

simon_golf_tt, I've tried to send you a pm but it says you have exceeded your quota. If you could pm me your email or telephone number it would be appreciated. Just a query about the electrics. Thanks.

Reactions: robthegangster
i can understand any safety zone issues, strain on a 350hp v8 from towing is a bit hard to believe though, are audi having a laugh

Nice genuine tow bar on ebay for sale :) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Going cheap....

[ QUOTE ]
simon_golf_tt, I've tried to send you a pm but it says you have exceeded your quota. If you could pm me your email or telephone number it would be appreciated. Just a query about the electrics. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

phil - have PM'd you.

Great info Simon,but i also have a question about the electrics.
The wiring kit I bought says to connect to the input side of the module which controls the bulb failure check system.Do you know where this is,or even if it is necessary?
I've started taking the interior to pieces in preparation but haven't found any such module yet...

Thanks,Paul.

[ QUOTE ]
Great info Simon,but i also have a question about the electrics.
The wiring kit I bought says to connect to the input side of the module which controls the bulb failure check system.Do you know where this is,or even if it is necessary?
I've started taking the interior to pieces in preparation but haven't found any such module yet...

Thanks,Paul.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul, I connected directly to the bulb wiring. That is I connected the relay module that came with the towbar electrics to the cars bulb wiring. It didn't say anything about the bulb failure check system.