Towbar fitting

A6 millsy

Reaction score
Hi can any one tell me if i can fit a towbar to my 2010 audi a6 2.0 tdi? If so what sort of price will i be expected to pay for one?

Thanks James

im after a detachable one, ive got a place round the corner from me so will go there and ask them. Thanks

I got a second hand one of ebay with the dedicated electrics (detachable) and have fitted myself, but i chose to get a s6 diffuser with the tow bar cut out and infill panel as have an abt exhaust, but you can cut out your existing bumper.
Only issue i have is getting someone who can code in the trailer module.

If you go for a Westfalia towbar and have it fitted at a Westfalia dealer then they should be able to code the trailer mode. I had a Westfalia fitted to my 2009 Allroad and had quotes from £500 to £1400. The alloy panel under the bumper was £150 from Audi but on Westfalia dealer offered to get it cut for £25. The cheapest quote here was for the cut panel and not a new one. One thing to be aware of is that there is quite a bit of work involved in interfacing the electrics to the towbar. I opted for Audi to do it for me and the matched my cheapest quote as I was buying the car from them. I found a new panel on ebay which I supplied so the price fitted was £400.

I also had a quote from Richter Sport and they were about £900 and if I brought in the panel they would reduce the cost by £150.

The panel cost £50 on ebay but I guess I was luckly to find one.

Hope this helps

The interfacing of the electrics is a doddle, if you buy the dedicated Audi wiring there are two positive and two earth connections then three wires to connect into the harness at the rear. The coding is simple too as only half a dozen alterations to make. (if you can find anyone local with vcds)

Apparently this describes the coding:

1. Reconnect the ground of the vehicle’s battery.
2. Match the vehicle code in the following control units via selected diagnostics by coding
“Anhängerkupplung verbaut 1D2” (towing hitch installed 1D2):
- 01 Engine control unit
- 13 Distance control ACC
- 19 Diagnosis interface for data bus
- 34 Level control
- 45 Brake electronics ESP
- 76 Park distance control
3. Using the selected diagnostics code the trailer connection unit to “ohne Schwenkfunktion”
(without hinge function)
- \car body\electrical system\trailer function\J345 control unit for trailer detection, functions
- J 345 coding – “ohne Schwenkfunktion” (without hinge function)
4. Check the trailer function with the help of a suitable test instrument (with load resistors)
or with the help of a trailer.
5. Check the entries in the error log, and delete them if necessary.
6. Using the Software Versions Management (SVM) system of the selected diagnostics, perform
an on-line document retrieval for the vehicle with the action number 050200.
7. Secure all cables using cable ties.
8. Refit any parts removed for installation.

While I'm on here, anyone know what's the difference between the fitting of a towbar on a 2009/2010 Avant SE and S-line as there seems to be a big mark up on cost for the S-Line with both Westfalia and Witter detachable bars with little information explaining why. Looking at Witter tow bars the SE has part number AD43AQ whereas the S-Line is AD43AQ-ZEKAD0007/13. Doesn't relate to the electrics, so most be something else.
Anyone got any idea?
Also having a look at the dedicated wiring kits, are there any pictures around describing the installation?
Thanks

While I'm on here, anyone know what's the difference between the fitting of a towbar on a 2009/2010 Avant SE and S-line as there seems to be a big mark up on cost for the S-Line with both Westfalia and Witter detachable bars with little information explaining why. Looking at Witter tow bars the SE has part number AD43AQ whereas the S-Line is AD43AQ-ZEKAD0007/13. Doesn't relate to the electrics, so most be something else.
Anyone got any idea?
Also having a look at the dedicated wiring kits, are there any pictures around describing the installation?
Thanks
Great article i this months audi driver magazine on westfalia detachable towbars with pictures if its of interest to a you ?

I think it has something to do with either the way the exhaust runs or else the way they attach.

I had mine done at a place called brittania in Bristol, I think a westfalia system that folds away completely. In addition I got a 4 bike rack and a light board (they even did me the number plate free). Total price fitted was £573 inc. Audi Bristol wanted £1200 for the bar alone!

I got mine done by Towbar Express on my old A4... it was about £400 for the Westfalia detachable with the electrics completely hidden behind the cut-out into the rear S-Line bumper: technically it's a cut-out, but completely hidden until you're nearly under the car.

I got mine with single electric (I only used a v a small trailer), but double exlectrics were a same-cost option.

They pop around and fit it in your drive-way in a couple hours: take off the back fame off the chassis and replace it with a load-bearing one for the trailer... I assume it's the same for the A6.

Cut-out:

Electrics from underneath:

Towbar fitted:

Towbar removed (5 secs later):

Audi A6 Avant 3,0 TFSI S-Line.
The ESP failure indicator keeps coming up on the info board after mounting a tow bar. Anyone know how to turn it off / programme the car? My local dealer dont and there is quite a long way to the expensive Audi dealer....

Br. from Denmark
Kloster

I fitted a bar and dedicated electrics this weekend and now have a permanent ESP dash warning - I guess that's the same issue you have Kloster. Trailer board works fine, dash indicator for trailer works as well. Elsewhere i've read this ESP fault is common for non Audi kits- hopefully I'll get it sorted this week. I'll post here if it gets done ok. (a6 avant s-line 2.0 tdi 2009)

Well, all done. Found a friendly tow-bar fitting company (Phil Taylor Towbars in Horndean, Hampshire) that use an Autologic Diagnostic to code the car. ESP warning now gone, reversing sensors working properly - took 10 minutes for a modest fee. If you can't get the Audi dealer to sort it, find a VCDS user, or maybe try looking for someone with an Autologic thing (big blue thing, touch screen - do a google search).