1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Towbar Bike Racks

Robbe Mar 14, 2018

1. Robbe

Robbe Registered User

My S4 has a factory fit towbar and am thinking of getting a bike rack to take 2-3 bikes on holiday this summer and have some questions.

What would you recommend?
    does having a bike rack on the towbar affect my insurance?
    Do i need to tell them?

any advice would be helpful.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. SRB93

SRB93 S5 B9 Coupe - Glacier White

Check with them to see if they consider it a Modification.

Also, do this through a live chat or email asking for a new quote or something... as an inquiry so it doesn't affect your current insurance.

4. SteveMcB

SteveMcB Registered User

Must admit I'd never given notifying my insurance a thought, wouldn't do any harm though.

Thule have a good range of bike carriers, a few years back I paid about £100 for a basic 2 bike platform style (looks like the £195 one on the link), it does the job fine but the downsides with it being the 'cheapie'- it needs a spanner to tighten it up or to tilt it, it doesn't have frame clamps, the fabric straps aren't nearly as good as the rigid ratchet style, it's a bit on the short side for my Stumpjumper Evo, normal stumpy is OK though.

I always add on a load of my own bungie cords as well.

Velospace XT looks the nuts - not cheap though :blink:

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/bike-rack/towbar-bike-racks

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  5. hmy7k

hmy7k Registered User

I have an Altera 3 bike rack and its very good. Tilts to allow you to access the boot whilst fully loaded.
    fitting 3 road bikes on it is easy but 3 mountain bikes it is harder because the handle bars conflict.
    I suspect they all have the same issue as they try to make them as short as possible.

Its a lot easier to use these than bikes on a roof bar, especially after a long ride.

6. Buck

Buck Registered User