Tow Bar (Again)

stevehall

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi,

I know there is a lot of information on here about the fitting of tow bars, but wanted to bring it back up again and also see if anyone has fitted the same parts that I am looking at getting…

As above, I am at the stage of almost buying and fitting a tow bar to my B7, due to the costs I planned to fit it myself, and I have been doing lots of research of the past few months trying to find one that will be completely hidden when removed and as cheap as possible.

I have been in conversation with towequipe and they recommend an Audi/Westfalia Detach (305302) and they say that this is completely hidden when removed.
http://www.towequipe.co.uk/products/305302-audi-westfalia-detach-towbar-a4-sal-and-avant-0507.html

Then we get onto the electrics, in an ideal world I don’t want the ‘scotch lock’ type system as it just screams issues in the future to me and want the wiring loom made for the car, so think I am going to go for this 7 pin car specific wiring (TOWT064) http://www.towequipe.co.uk/products/towt064-7-pin-car-specific-towbar-wiring-audi-a4-avant-sal-04.html

I understand that the car will need to be plugged into VAG COM and re coded with the specific wiring, but what benefits other than the light on the dash will the specific wiring give?

Also regarding the coding, do i need to fit the kit first or have the car re-coded first?

Has anyone had a go at this? Any words of advice? Any Pics of these fitted?

Well it’s all arrived today so going to fit this tomorrow if it’s nice.

Looks like it will be totally hidden when the ball is removed; even the electrics fold up out of the way... so should be perfect…

One thing I am a little nervous about is fitting the car specific wiring as a cant seem to find anyone who can get onto VAG COM and change the setup on the car for me!

When logging in via VAG-COM - I understand the towing mode activates some sensors that kick in if they notice what ever you are towing starts to 'snake'.

To this effect they start applying brakes at certain corners of the car.

That's certainly what I was told when I looked into it.

Please let me know if you need advise with removing the rear bumper, it's a sod to do - unless you know how - then it's a 5 minute job.

Rich

Well its all on and looks good.. when removed you cant tell its there...

Just need the car coding now in VAG COM but not having much luck finding anyone...anywhere

Glad you got it on and it looks good, i'd give you a hand with the coding but Im a bit far away! :shrug: Im sure there must be someone around you with vagcom who would help for beer tokens.

One would hope!

Plugged in the trailer today and it works though... The only thing thats not working is the lights on the dash to show that the trailer is working and thats the whole reason i paid the extra... - Guess the coding will need to be done...

the by-pass relay is fine if done correctly. scotch locks are only bad when done wrong. I have the same bar on my avant with the by-pass relay and its fine and it was a hell of alot easier to fit and cheaper.. I paid £220 for the full lot...