Touching in scratches with good results

martinA4passat

Reaction score
Hello

I recently touched in some scratches and stone chips on my hybiscus pearl audi A4 and although it will never look as good as re spraying the areas I found the following worked very well....

Good quality colour match paint (I got mine from paint wizard on-line) very good match.

pack of tooth picks and a very fine artists paint brush.

rubbing compound for blending in new paint surfaces. I used car plan.

I used the rubbing compound on the worst of the scratches first to take the edges of of the scratches, then cleaned with warm water to remove any compound from the area.

Build up the base coat colour in very small amounts using the tooth pick and a fine artists paint brush.

finish with a couple of layers of laquer supplied with the base coat and using a fine artist paint brush. at this point don't worry if the laquer stands out from the scratch.

I then left the paint to harden for a week and the following weekend went over the scratches with the compound which smoothed the laquer flat with the original top coat and made the scratches almost invisible. This is where the colour match is important as even if the top coat has blended as well as mine did (not wanting to blow my own trumpet but blended seamlessly) if the colour match is too dark or light it will show slightly.

Finnish off with a good waxing! :yes:

I am not saying you should do this and any problems or damage caused by doing the same is your responsibility but this worked very well for me and I am very happy with the results.:thumbsup:

Well done for trying scratches and coming up trumps.

Do you have any before and after photos?

I tend to use the finger painting nibs that you can order online and steer away from a fine paintbrush(varies on scratch or chip)

I only have after pics, but am intending on sorting out some scratches on the bootlid this weekend so will post some before and after photo's then.

I have done similar on my front bumper with 2000 WD in the mix also with good results.

Its scarey but worthwhile isnt it