Torque Steer

MrLapou

Reaction score
With all this talk about GTi dsg v A3 Quattro s-tronic, I thought I'd ask the question.
Having owned a MK5 Golf GTi, i know it sometimes exhibits a little torque steer.

Now in the 2.0TFSI quattro, I've not had any.. Is this because the car may be suffering from being under powered due to an engine fault.. (no VCDS codes showing) or is it because the Haldex4 cuts in to stop the torque steer?

Last edited:
It's because in the GTI you had 200hp through the front wheels = 100hp each, whereas in the quattro that same power is split between 4 wheels = 50hp each ~ hardly enough to spin the wheels never mind create torque steer. Pretty much all FWD cars suffer from some form of torque steer, but some cope with high power better than others.

Worst car I ever had was a Rover 220 Coupe Turbo..........very fast for a K-plate motor but OMG could it torque steer.....so bad I had to hang onto it every time I floored it.

i dont get this question ( torque steer on a quattro) but ill put my input

i have a b5 a4 1.8tqs and the haldex system is amazing, now it may be my clutch is worn but being 20k old i doubt it and running stock power,
i can wheel spin in the wet, i only literately get the back slipping and i mean a little and thats in the wet, even ive its partially dry it just launches straight a die and grips and grips. not sure how these systems handle 300bhp but certainly has no problem with 180hp

It's because in the GTI you had 200hp through the front wheels = 100hp each, whereas in the quattro that same power is split between 4 wheels = 50hp each ~ hardly enough to spin the wheels never mind create torque steer. Pretty much all FWD cars suffer from some form of torque steer, but some cope with high power better than others.
Sorry but you're wrong, Quattro is not a permanent four wheel drive system. It's mainly front wheel drive 99% of the time until traction is lost at the front, in which case the Haldex controller shifts the power to the rear of the car to regain traction to the front or to which ever wheels have most grip which is sensed by the ESP system.

Worst car I ever had was a Rover 220 Coupe Turbo..........very fast for a K-plate motor but OMG could it torque steer.....so bad I had to hang onto it every time I floored it.
A bit of torque steer makes the drive more exciting in my opinion, not too much though.

Sorry but you're wrong, Quattro is not a permanent four wheel drive system. It's mainly front wheel drive 99% of the time until traction is lost at the front, in which case the Haldex controller shifts the power to the rear of the car to regain traction to the front or to which ever wheels have most grip which is sensed by the ESP system.
Which also depends what system it runs or if it's longitudinal or transverse.

Being a a3 is transverse so it has 95% front unless there's wheel spin which can give up to 100% to the rear under full clamping presure.
Also being Quattro tourqe can be diverted to the rear. Thus making tourqe steer more or less nill. Plus the draveshaft lengths are equal and that audis suspension is very good doubt very much you would get tourqe steer.

Basicly that's part of the benifets of a Quattro system weather it be torsion or haldex

Last edited:
Which also depends what system it runs or if it's longitudinal or transverse.

Being a a3 is transverse so it has 95% front unless there's wheel spin which can give up to 100% to the rear under full clamping presure.
Also being Quattro tourqe can be diverted to the rear. Thus making tourqe steer more or less nill. Plus the draveshaft lengths are equal and that audis suspension is very good doubt very much you would get tourqe steer.

Basicly that's part of the benifets of a Quattro system weather it be torsion or haldex

:icon_thumright:

A bit of torque steer makes the drive more exciting in my opinion, not too much though.

Quite agree Aiden but your last few words of 'not too much though' are correct. The 220 Coupe Turbo was renowned for its horrendous torque steer and wasnt fun to drive as it had way too much. A good car in its time ruined by too much torque

but as i have a logitudial in a a4 i very much like the quattro system, it just grips and grips, if any thing i get a little understeer if i try and be silly on a small round about but off throttle and back on sees me round it with no drama and thats foot down

i can now see why audi stormed rally with there s1

which by the way is still the best looking audi ever made imo . and also sounded amazing fact

Audi Quattro Sport S1 Rally Group B "Total Tribute" - YouTube

and one more just for fun

770 HP Audi Quattro S1 Group B Monster by ProSpeed Bulgaria - YouTube

Torque steer is horrible ! before dropping my company car (A5) and buying my own A3 I had some horrible moments in the A5 - jumped accross a complete lane when booting it out of an island - not fun - when i test drove my current A3 (quattro) the arrow straight handling under power sold it for me there and then.
Wouldnt want to go back to non quattro now.

haha well im glad i have quattro. at least im not constantly swapping front to back and having new tyres, had a gtt years back and that ate tyres, in the end i just stuck nankangs on lasted a little less but half the price

what i want to figure out is if quattro wears tyres evenly

I have a MK6 GTI mapped to 253bhp / 320 lb/ft torque and haven't had any torque steer. Wheel spin in the wet, on the other hand, is a different story

i would suspect your car isnt running a direct steering, same idea as dbw, the system detect tourqe steer and adjusts, also and more importantly you would find the front suspension is very good at making tourqe steer 0