1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facelift Torque limiter interaction

gringosteve Dec 8, 2018 at 10:56 AM

1. gringosteve

gringosteve Active Member

Hi all

I tried this today, moving from the standard medium setting to disabled. Seem to make it keener when pressing on. I was wondering if anyone knew how this worked and off it could have a detrimental effect on my gearbox etc. I have DSG and Quattro. I switched it back to it’s normal setting just in case!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Well-Known Member

Is that vcds, obd11?
    As far as I know the dsg boxes have torque limiters in theory to save the gearbox. Less of a problem with petrol cars as torque is generally a lot lower than diesels. Think a gearbox remap is required on stage 2 tuned cars.
    It will be good to know what that torque limiter does.

4. gringosteve

That’s carista but essentially doing the same as VCDS etc.

I heard on 2WD VAGs it stops the brakes from dragging on hard acceleration. But I felt a difference in 2nd gear acceleration. I will do more reading

5. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Well-Known Member

All it should do is release the clutch plates so essentially you will be free revving and possibly tell the ecu to throttle the engine.

6. gringosteve

So this would keep the clutch engaged at higher torque and stop that?

7. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Well-Known Member

That’s what we need to find out.
    Carista,obd11, vcds etc can do all sorts with the risk of damaging components if not done right.
    Worse case scenario it’s reading a module or adaptation wrong and everything blows up. I’m a bit more risk averse when messing with this sort of stuff. Don’t want to blow up a £30-40k motor :wink:
    Needs more research I think.

8. larbel

larbel Well-Known Member Team Sepang Audi S3 saloon

Sounds like torque vectoring or XDS+ in Audi terms, that's why I never like Carista, you have no idea what it's really doing... Anyway, it has nothing to do with your gearbox, XDS+ is essentially a cheap way of replicating LSD, it brakes the inside wheels as you making turns to make the turn in shaper and less understeer, you shouldn't notice any difference much under normal driving. 8V is set to weak by default, (RS3 and 7R is set to medium as I recall?) Downside? You could overheat your brakes much much faster especially at track.

With Carista, you can't access the modules directly and only preset options to click so supposedly it's much safer, but then, it's impossible to trace back the problem is something goes wrong? Just like the APP mode in OBD11, the proper way is still to backup everything and do it with long coding and adaptations, and do not mess with anything you see or not sure, people going by the trial and error mentality will get themselves into trouble with coding. You can brick a module, but doubt you can really blow up anything even if you try :p

Personally, I left XDS+ at weak, only performance tweak would be AWD wiring logic to increased traction, this will engage the Haldex more.. And steering driving profile switchover to direct control, this would improve throttle response at D mode on DSG cars. There're several others that benefit manual more so I didn't mess with those.

gringosteve, AlS3BE and Lehn like this.
  9. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Well-Known Member

What’s the vcds coding for these without using Carista or obd11 style apps?

10. larbel

larbel Well-Known Member Team Sepang Audi S3 saloon

ABS, Adaptation, Expanded electronic differential lock

gringosteve likes this.
  11. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Well-Known Member

It’s was the steering driving profile one?

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. gringosteve

It sounds like something I should probably leave on if it helps with cornering and handling capabilities.

I have done the accelerator change and that made a big difference :)