Top turbo bolts working loose.

Machine212

Reaction score
My turbo got replaced over a year ago at a local garage, since then the turbo bolts have been working there way out. First time it happened i took it back to the garage and they said they had sorted it. Drove the car for about another month and the slurping exhaust leak sound came back. Took it back again and they decided to fit some locking washers, it then lasted until now, about 9 months. Heres a little video of how loose they get
So ive just nipped them up again for now and its stopped leaking. On the video its the top bolt and the bottom right that were loose. Looks like one is different to the rest as well?
Is there any way to stop this happening? New OEM bolts or some badass high temp glue?
Cheers lads.

When I phoned TPS for new bolts a while back the guy on the phone said, "they're just normal (insert correct thread and dimension here) bolts, nothing special about them" and suggested I used any bolt of the same thread and length...

I've had this problem my self using the original old bolts, so I've used new bolts just from the hardware store with the addition of spring washers... So far so good but to be fair I've not done so many miles

How different are they? Anyone got a picture at hand? These have locking washers on too.

http://www.partsbase.org/audi/audi-a3-s3-sportback-qu-a3-eu-2001-14550-exhaust-gas-turbocharger/

06A145540K

9863 x800

Turbo bolts need to be the correct hardness... TPS suggesting to use any 'normal' bolt is a joke tbh...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: daithi23 and Machine212
Hello. I just bought the 06A145540K for my Audi S3 BAM because they've been coming loose this last year. I also bought the exhaust gasket. Do I need some washers for this? In my country I can´t get nordlock washers. Spring washers would do the trick?

Spring washers would be next to useless for this application

<tuffty/>

I beg to differ... I had the same problem using old OE bolts and washers, just kept coming loose. So bought new bolts from the hardware store (as recommended by TPS), made no difference.

As I said above, I then added spring washers and haven't had a problem since... Admittedly the spring washers have lost any sort of spring due to the heat but what ever they're done they fixed the problem in my case

Still wouldn't use them personally but if it worked for you then fair enough

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Clart
Just like to add that mine are still solid since January using the oem bolts and washer.

I had this problem only a few days ago and based on advice here and experience I got OE bolts and washers. My gasket was blown add a result of the bolt becoming loose. Mind you they were pretty damn expensive for what they are. Especially the washers.

Still wouldn't use them personally but if it worked for you then fair enough

<tuffty/>

Coming from the guy who insists on painting every engine component possible, I'm not so concerned... lol

And to be fair it's not as if anything bad will come of it. Worst case being they might come loose again, at which point you give in and and get mugged for 30 quid by TPS. . .