Top mount problem (with pics)

milli

Reaction score
Hi all, changed my suspension to weitec coilovers on saturday and also changed top mounts for standard ones. Problem i have, opened the bonnet to find this...

When the car is jacked up on the front they sit how they should, but as soon as i lower the car back down this is the problem.
Do i have a bad problem or have i changed something wrong, if anyone can shed some light would be gratefull.

The car in level ground? You tightened everything up properly? Also have you fitted the top mounts and bearings properly?

hmmm, mine are like that after replacement, but not really as bad - I think I put all mine back in the right way round... :S

has any body got any pictures of the front suspension set up with the mounts on so i can make sure they are the right way round?

They should be this way up.

f1b8ff0d.jpg

what about the bearing? That sits in the top yes? And that should only go one way up?

im sure thats the way i put them ontop of the shock

sorry this is no help to the op but im doing my top mounts this weekend and do you need spring compresssors/clamps?

trying to look at that picture, just not sure which part is which. From what i remember from top to bottom i have plastic cover, nut, cup thing, bolt on top of coilover, bearing, then spring i think

damn...i think i've put mine on the wrong way. I think i but the bearing on top of the top mount :S Guess i'll be buying 2 new bearings and re-doing it. Just got the ****** car tracked today as well :S

Update! Been working on the car tonight, pretty much just finished. Took the front struts back off and re built, this time had the bearing, new top mount then bolted together, fitted the top cup and bolt and they sit slightly lower then before still has about 3-4mm gap between though.

Yeah its normal to have a small gap mate. Sounds like youve sorted it now though.

From one problem to another, after finishing the car, now my ABS and EML light are staying on, i took the wheels off again and checked all plugs and they all seem to be fine? Any ideas or am i best of getting it scanned?

Have you taken it or a run ? They should go off after a drive.

mine stayed on before i got mine re-tracked and indeed after i got it re-tracked for about 30 miles and a couple key off/ons

Been out a few times and the lights are still on, waiting to fit my adjustable tie arms, then getting 4 wheel alignment done, so hopefully after that they should go off....?

Gonna dd my 2 pennies now. Looked at my installation of the top monts and I think I've done them all the right way. Took off the two nuts on the top and the bearing is obviously BELOW the top mount, so seems to have been done correctly.

Only think I'm concerned about is that the shocks seem to be sitting quite off-center of the mounts (visible in the pictures below); is this normal?

Cheers,
Aran

Attachments

• IMAG0559.jpg
    IMAG0559.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 225
  • IMAG0560.jpg
    IMAG0560.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 207
  • IMAG0561.jpg
    IMAG0561.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 206
  • IMAG0562.jpg
    IMAG0562.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 240
  • IMAG0563.jpg
    IMAG0563.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 231
  • IMAG0564.jpg
    IMAG0564.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 230
Just fitted my PSI PU top mounts and **** those creak when turning :sob:
I was expecting that but somehow hoping that "not for me"...

What is the torque for the nut over the strut cap? I was thinking (or hoping) that if that is too tight or loose it could cause that creaking..