Top marks to Audi Roadside again

• Thread starter imported_Skywalker
  • Start date
Getting back to Audi Roadside Assistance............... how does this work? Do I need to be subscribed, or is it part of the warranty? What can you call them out for?

Is Audi Roadside Assistance different to RAC? When I had a fault with my key-fob not unlocking the car, RAC came out to help me. They were in a bright orange transit though, not in a nice shiny Allroad. Is the phone-number for Assistance different to RAC?

[ QUOTE ]
It is a good point that even when someone says how good something is, in this case the roadside assistance, everyone is quick to bleat on about premium, blah blah, never go wrong, blah blah, should be better, blah blah, mines worse than a 1970's cortina,

As i've said before, even the myth that lexus/japanses cars never go wrong is total hogwash, anyone who states this as fact is lying

[/ QUOTE ]

I am telling you that I know a lot more than 2 people personally that have owned lexus's over long periods of time and high millages with NO problems what so ever, yes they could just be the lucky ones, but if you have a look on the lexus forums on the net there not all going on about "oh ****** how do I fix the thing that broke this week" there just asking about mods etc.

I would also say that Lexus are also at least as good at sorting things out when things do go wrong, there was a recall on the LS430 where they wrote to all the customers and asked if the could either collect the vehicle or pop in with it and have a courtsey car, the cars were fixed (some daft thing can't remember what) all the cars were valeted fully. All the customers were then sent bottles of champage a few weeks later apologising for the hassle.

I am saying that customer service when it's good should be applauded as per the original post, however I would not expect a new car to have anywhere near as many problems as you guys seem to have with the new A3s.

[ QUOTE ]
All the customers were then sent bottles of champage a few weeks later apologising for the hassle.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can do that if you only have a handful of customers.......... I can't remember the last time I saw an LS430 (or any Lexus for that matter).

Yeah I think I need to age myself about 150 years and then may be I will look at a Lexus, think I saw Yoda pass me by on the motorway in one the other day.....yawnnnn.....are we there yet !!!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleep.gif

As I said before I have had Audi's for 5 years (sorry said 4 earlier...doh) and I have had 2 minor problems in 5 years which were sorted out in minutes....may be i'm lucky but I dont count 2 small problems as a disaster, may be I have more patience that some !!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

The reason I say that if you want reliability - buy Japanese is that nearly all so called 'user' surveys give the top places for reliability to Japanese models. Audi are generally better than average but not quite as good.

But if reliability is your be all and end all for choosing a particular model then buy Japanese. But if like me you want other things as well from your car then choose based on other criteria as well.

Yes I suppose I have been lucky having only had to call out Audi Roadside twice in my life. Once for a flat battery, when one cell packed up many years ago and once to replace the coil packs on one of my A3 1.8Ts.

I have purchased 14 VAG cars since 1976 and all with my own personal cash - no company cars. I bought my first Volkswagen Golf in 1976 having owned 7 British cars before that. All of them were rubbish and I vowed that I would never buy another one. I have had 5 Volkswagen Golfs, mostly GTIs and a VR6 and 10 Audis, the last 5 being A3s. All have been basically very reliable with only routine servicing being required.

All cars from whatever manufacturer have got much more reliable over the years and even the most basic are now generally reliable. I personally don't consider Audi a premium brand in the sense of reliabliity but in general design, engineering (like the wonderul DSG although that was designed by Volkswagen engineers) materals used, interior design, quality and feel of things like switches, levers etc etc.

I have seen even Lexus and Rolls-Royce stopped on the hard shoulder of a motorway and BMWs and Mercedes by the lorry load on the autobahns in Germany.

My ex-boss had a Aston Martin DB7 and his wife had an A3. He often used to come to work in the A3 because there was a problem with the Aston.

I not defending Audi in any way. It's just that in my personal experience they have been better than average and I like the cars that they make. Remember also that when you buy an A3 it may cost more than a Ford Focus but it is still the bottom of the model tree for Audi. No doubt all cars could be made even more reliable but at a price way out of the reach of most of us.

One other quick thought. With people expecting an Audi to be 100% reliable, I would like to know what else in this world is 100% reliable. That is apart from the fact that we are all going to die at some stage. Not just though I hope !

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All the customers were then sent bottles of champage a few weeks later apologising for the hassle.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can do that if you only have a handful of customers.......... I can't remember the last time I saw an LS430 (or any Lexus for that matter).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it's an expensive car so I wouldn't expect to see that many, and we all know no-body seems to like lexus's in general especially on here. I see loads of IS200's around my area and quite a few of the others. I don't think it's relevant to say they've only done it because there's a handful of customers, they make loads of the cars for the US and Japan so it's not small production numbers that make them reliable.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I think I need to age myself about 150 years and then may be I will look at a Lexus, think I saw Yoda pass me by on the motorway in one the other day.....yawnnnn.....are we there yet !!!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleep.gif

As I said before I have had Audi's for 5 years (sorry said 4 earlier...doh) and I have had 2 minor problems in 5 years which were sorted out in minutes....may be i'm lucky but I dont count 2 small problems as a disaster, may be I have more patience that some !!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think is lexus started importing the sportier cars they make you'd change your tune re: 150years old. If they get around to importing the quicker new IS cars I'll be going for a test drive... I just wish they would!

I'm not knocking Audi, as I said I don't know anyone that has more reason to not like audi than me and I still love my S3 - I still don't know anything that touches the S3 or the newer A3 quattros for overall package of practicality / interior / performance / safety / allround car! I'm also not saying people shouldn't praise Audi Roadside for being very good... I'm just saying you can do better if you want good customer service and reliability!

As I've been working for service in both the computer and software industries for quite a while I don't expect anything to be 100% reliable, I'm just stating as above I think Audi could do better - they just choose not too from my experience!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is a good point that even when someone says how good something is, in this case the roadside assistance, everyone is quick to bleat on about premium, blah blah, never go wrong, blah blah, should be better, blah blah, mines worse than a 1970's cortina,

As i've said before, even the myth that lexus/japanses cars never go wrong is total hogwash, anyone who states this as fact is lying

[/ QUOTE ]

I am telling you that I know a lot more than 2 people personally that have owned lexus's over long periods of time and high millages with NO problems what so ever, yes they could just be the lucky ones, but if you have a look on the lexus forums on the net there not all going on about "oh ****** how do I fix the thing that broke this week" there just asking about mods etc.

I would also say that Lexus are also at least as good at sorting things out when things do go wrong, there was a recall on the LS430 where they wrote to all the customers and asked if the could either collect the vehicle or pop in with it and have a courtsey car, the cars were fixed (some daft thing can't remember what) all the cars were valeted fully. All the customers were then sent bottles of champage a few weeks later apologising for the hassle.

I am saying that customer service when it's good should be applauded as per the original post, however I would not expect a new car to have anywhere near as many problems as you guys seem to have with the new A3s.

[/ QUOTE ]

So just because you don't know any that have gone wrong, none do?

Thats a bold statement, try telling my mate who is on his second gearbox in his RX300, or the only other person I know with a lexus (Another RX300) where the air con doesn't work.

[ QUOTE ]
One other quick thought. With people expecting an Audi to be 100% reliable, I would like to know what else in this world is 100% reliable.

[/ QUOTE ]

To clarify my position;

Minor niggles/faults-acceptable (to a point).

Anything requiring roadside assistance-not acceptable.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I think I need to age myself about 150 years and then may be I will look at a Lexus

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a tad unfair when Audi were considered 'old bloke' for years as well.

Of course,you'll always get some eejit who mentions "Alan Partridge" in connection with Lexus,but it's hardly a valid argument.

Audis are used on film by anything from mercenaries to drug dealers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I was slightly jesting about the old man Lexus....only slightly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Your right Bowfer, Audi's were considered old man's car's for a long time, but the last few years they have really up'd their game and I feel have something for everyone...as everyone says it's personal choice
Oh how these thread's get out of control !!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
anyone want to mention DSG?

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Feeling the Bowfer fire from here !!!!

[ QUOTE ]
So just because you don't know any that have gone wrong, none do?

Thats a bold statement, try telling my mate who is on his second gearbox in his RX300, or the only other person I know with a lexus (Another RX300) where the air con doesn't work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope sorry didn't mean it like that, must be writing gibberish today as that's about the third electronic message of some sort that's been mis understood.

I'm just saying that out of the Audi owners and Lexus owners I know I'm saying all the lexus owners haven't had any problems at all (could be luck I guess although the JD Power and the other surverys would suggest otherwise) and all the Audi owners have has at least one "serious" problem, by that I mean something that means it needs dealers attention immediately if it's possible to drive at all!

Better tell them to stop buying SUVs then hey - the people I know have IS200/300s and GS300/GS430s... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I have purchased 14 VAG cars since 1976 and all with my own personal cash - no company cars. I bought my first Volkswagen Golf in 1976 having owned 7 British cars before that.

[/ QUOTE ]

****** hell, I was born in 1976! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

You old Git! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
anyone want to mention DSG?

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Feeling the Bowfer fire from here !!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh you crazy japesters !
MAAAD !

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

I owned a Jap car,
A Subaru Impreza WR1.

only 500 made for this country,
you bought it, then it went to Pro Drive to be Modded.

I wont list the problems as it would take up too much space /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif